"Justice League Dark: Apokolips War" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (No Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
1.) Everything seems a little rushed. By all accounts, the Justice League's initial battle with Darkseid could have been a complete movie all on it's own, allowing it more breathing room. It would appear that this initial battle will be little more than a prologue in this film. This has been the major issue with this continuity for me in general. They jump around from concept to concept, cutting story/character potential to move on to the next ''event'' or idea. It means I never really cared for these iterations of the characters or the outcomes they face.
Yes and no. Tucker and co. are at the mercy of the WBHE executives dictating/leading the conversation on what movies they greenlight and/or want them to do next and it doesn't sound like timeline-wise they come up with a long term plan of do this in 2018, do this in 2019, do this in 2020 but a little more ad hoc so that affects Tucker and co.'s ability to really thoroughly map out what stories they tell vs. want to. And in addition, they're limited to 2 movies (we've been lucky the past 2 years had 3 each) rather than being able to do 26 episodes a year. Still they've been able to seed and plant things here and there that later movies pick up on. I'd have to double check but I'm fairly sure even the notion of this ongoing movie canon was dictated by the executives as well and not by Tucker and co.

The one gripe I have so far is them touting this as the 'final battle at last' with Darkseid. Like after JL: War, he was a non-issue for 4 or 5 years then suddenly pops back up in the Death/Return two parter. It's not like there were any hints between 2014 and 2018 that he was plotting/manipulating between the scenes for his reveal in Reign to be a shocker, imo. We just had the Boom Tube in Death of. Not like they were fighting Apokoliptians ever since War. And basically after the 2nd attempted incursion on Earth in Reign, the JL is ready to put him down. I get why. He's Darkseid. Idk. Feels really hasty of the JL... and I guess they pay for it from what we've seen in the trailer and first look. Like in comparison, he appeared like 7 times before Superman tried to put him down in "Legacy" Part 2. Shrug. Again, just a gripe. Hopefully, it'll make sense for me when I watch the actual movie.

2.) Any death in this movie will have little repurcussions or any real meaning. So why are we meant to care? Constantine or Flash will simply do a little rejigging and everything will be reset. New designs, same voice actors, once more around the merry go round?
Well, that's more a general issue with all super hero movies, live or animated.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Yes and no. Tucker and co. are at the mercy of the WBHE executives dictating/leading the conversation on what movies they greenlight and/or want them to do next and it doesn't sound like timeline-wise they come up with a long term plan of do this in 2018, do this in 2019, do this in 2020 but a little more ad hoc so that affects Tucker and co.'s ability to really thoroughly map out what stories they tell vs. want to. And in addition, they're limited to 2 movies (we've been lucky the past 2 years had 3 each) rather than being able to do 26 episodes a year. Still they've been able to seed and plant things here and there that later movies pick up on. I'd have to double check but I'm fairly sure even the notion of this ongoing movie canon was dictated by the executives as well and not by Tucker and co.
Which also makes me wonder if ending it came from up top...
The one gripe I have so far is them touting this as the 'final battle at last' with Darkseid. Like after JL: War, he was a non-issue for 4 or 5 years then suddenly pops back up in the Death/Return two parter. It's not like there were any hints between 2014 and 2018 that he was plotting/manipulating between the scenes for his reveal in Reign to be a shocker, imo. We just had the Boom Tube in Death of. Not like they were fighting Apokoliptians ever since War. And basically after the 2nd attempted incursion on Earth in Reign, the JL is ready to put him down. I get why. He's Darkseid. Idk. Feels really hasty of the JL... and I guess they pay for it from what we've seen in the trailer and first look. Like in comparison, he appeared like 7 times before Superman tried to put him down in "Legacy" Part 2. Shrug. Again, just a gripe. Hopefully, it'll make sense for me when I watch the actual movie.
We're shown Superman in front of a display of dead aliens, so I assume it's Darkseid's galactic atrocities that lead Superman to push for the League to take the fight to Darkseid.

Reactions: Yojimbo

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Lackawanna, NY
And in addition, they're limited to 2 movies (we've been lucky the past 2 years had 3 each) rather than being able to do 26 episodes a year. Still they've been able to seed and plant things here and there that later movies pick up on. I'd have to double check but I'm fairly sure even the notion of this ongoing movie canon was dictated by the executives as well and not by Tucker and co.
Well, we've generally been getting 3-4 DC Universe Animated Original Movies per year, so I'm assuming that you mean movies in this specific continuity, disregarding the others?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I was able to watch the full sneak peek (do not post it on here if you find it).

A few takeways:

Mera and Wonder Woman are shown to have been turned into cyborg foot-soldiers for Darkseid. May be the movie's take on the Furies?

Black Orchid shows up.

Darkseid completely decimates Oa, killing all the Guardians. Guy Gardner in his Young Justice look (because it wouldn't be a Bourassa movie without a re-used design :p) and Arisia are shown in the rubble.

Lois is introduced in a fight club with villains. Giganta and Toyman are there. They don't spoil who she's fighting, but they have red gloves. Shiva?

The Suicide Squad are helping The Resistance.

John DiMaggio sounds like he's voicing Trigon now.

Flash warns the heroes about entering into a global-scale war they might not be able to handle. Might be the first indication that he remembers Flashpoint.

Reactions: Yojimbo

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Lackawanna, NY
The Hollywood News has posted the press release for ‘Justice League Dark: Apokolips War’: Full Home Release Details, but it looks like they got one detail wrong:
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has just sent over the release details and full bonus materials for their upcoming release Justice League Dark: Apokolips War which comes to digital on 19th May 2020, and then on DVD, Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray Steelbook, etc on 19th May 2020.
The digital release date has been previously reported as May 5 (I'm assuming it hasn't been pushed back).

Reactions: Frontier

EmaHalJordan

Aug 14, 2003
Argentina
www.jlanimated.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Lisa Ortiz's mother passed away.

I found this interview that Pam Arciero (Grundgetta from Sesame Street) took part in. I mainly skipped to 1:35, where she mentioned how production on the show ground to a halt because of the pandemic. There was about 1 more week of material to tape. She says they could start again in October, but that could change.
About done watching Sonic Boom Season 1 on DVD. Good in a sense to know the episode "Fire in a Crowded Workshop" only in Spanish dialogue isn't just me, but other unhappy posters to its Amazon page.

1:27:04-1:29:50

If it wasn't for the fact they're owned by different companies (Sesame Street on HBO and Helpsters on Apple TV, though both are from Sesame Workshop), I could totally see a crossover.