"Justice League" Canadian Airings Talkback (Spoilers)

cartoonboy

Let's Rock!
Aired : Monday Nov 3/03 - 6:30pm (eastern)
Re-Airing : Saturday Nov/03 - 11am (eastern)

There is a talkback for the Cartoon Network of a couple weeks back, but hey, we just got it yesterday.

First thing first, I thought all members knew each others secret identity? Forgive me, if that question was brought up earlier.

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
Appearantly not...Batman must think he's special. I know this would've confused me a bit if I were a little kid.

So it wasn't a blooper that history in "Savage Time" wasn't completely restored after all. People remember Vandal as a Nazi war criminal (they actually said "Nazi" too), and it also gave Batman something to work with, since he wouldn't have remembered anything from that past adventure. His voice is slightly different too - it's still Phil Morris, but it's got a much darker edge, kinda like how Darkseid's voice has changed slightly with every appearance.

Lot's of sexual innuendo, like has been mentioned already. The cel-shaded shuttle and airplane were nicely integrated. Overall, this particular "part 1" episode seemed to flow much more smootly than previous "part 1's", which felt kind of exposition-heavy. I can see the definite advantage in airing them back to back like CN does in the states.

I thought we'd get a shrill shriek from Vox when he finally let out his sonic waves, but it was very subdued...I guess another superhero has the copyright on loud screams..

Maybe we could change this to the official Canadian talkback thread...I was originally just going to post my comments in the regular threads, but they're kinda bloated and unfriendly to late posters.

wrenchien

CaptainJustice said:
Maybe we could change this to the official Canadian talkback thread...I was originally just going to post my comments in the regular threads, but they're kinda bloated and unfriendly to late posters.

i live much closer to mexico than canada but sounds like a good idea! @_@

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
I'm in agreement...we non-USA residents need a place to discuss what little we've seen thus far.

I thought we'd get a shrill shriek from Vox when he finally let out his sonic waves, but it was very subdued...I guess another superhero has the copyright on loud screams..

I didn't expect that at all...but I was intrigued with the creative team's use of this previously unknown character. Another one created just for the show right? Anyway, I thought it was an interesting homage to the Wonder Woman villainess, The Silver Swan, who used her sonic scream to incapacitate anyone with eardrums. She's too "out there" to use on JL, though, so I was pleased with this twist.

I never really thought much of this whole "Bruce and Diana" idea, and was instead rooting for Superman and Wonder Woman to try each other out romantically speaking. On Monday night, however, I joined the fans on the other side of the fence. Sure, Bruce gets all the women, but Diana and Bruce really do make an interesting couple. Unlike Talia, she and he are on equal ground.

This may be why all the endless "Let's dress up and go clubbing" scenes began to annoy me. Wonder Woman isn't some teenager, and certainly has better things to do. The whole night out with Audrey sort of made her seem too immature, but it thankfully stopped just before it became bad.

I don't really think too much of Vandal Savage, even after seeing "The Savage Time". His voice isn't all that definative. We'll see if I change my mind in Part Two. Can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Detective

Just thought I would confirm that Vox was created for the show. Though as DisneyBoy mentioned he draws obvious characteristics from Silver Swan.

Oh and you guys wouldn't happen to be getting them in widescreen would you?

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
The Detective said:
Oh and you guys wouldn't happen to be getting them in widescreen would you?

I wish. :shrug: I was actually going to email YTV to ask about that, but their feedback page was down. I think I'll do that tonight...

Now that this has become the general Canadian talkback, anyone want to comment on the episodes that've aired before? I'm going to reiterate what I said before: CN definitely has the right idea of airing these episodes together.

-Tabula Rasa: Part 1 stops right as the S-shield pops up on AMAZO's chest. I guess this was supposed to be a :eek: moment, but it felt kind of bland.

-Only a Dream: As cool as those fight scenes were, part 1 ends right as the JL fall asleep. Talk about keeping people waiting.

Still, I'm glad the writers are writing these episodes as a whole and not worrying too much about giving us a cliffhanger, which would seriously hinder the storytelling. That's a big change I've noticed in season 2 - we're getting stories written as hour-long adventures instead of two-parters. Viewed individually though, I might get a little annoyed if I didn't know part 2 had a good payoff.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
-Only a Dream: As cool as those fight scenes were, part 1 ends right as the JL fall asleep. Talk about keeping people waiting.

Actually, I would have to say that the conclusion to "Part One" of "Only a Dream", whether or not the team intended it, was the best cliffhanger of the entire series. When I first saw the episode, I never caught all the subtle hints that the writers were dropping concerning Destiny's powers, but they were there from the start - J'onn sleeping in the Watchtower, Batman being sleep-deprived, and then the escapees tuckering the rest of the League out. When the last minute rolled around, and we saw each Leaguer lie down as that innocent music played, I knew they were dead. It was ingenious. And that final long-shot of the Watchtower followed by the ominous "To Be Continued..." just had me on the edge of my seat! I'm actually glad that I was forced to wait another week, as opposed to the USA viewers, who probably just had a commercial break, and lost the final "TBC" moment, which would lessen the sense of anticipation. Really, that last minute just blew me away!

jadrax

Dwayne McDuffie said:
No, he wasn't. He was tweaked a bit but he first appeared in a DC Comic.
Could you say where?

I have seen a charicter called "Vox - The bionic bandit", who could be him, but I have only seen the cover which makes it a bit hard to tell. (metal men #51)

/edit: mmm, the story is called "Killing Me Softly With His Scream!" too, i think i may have a winner....

jadrax said:
I have seen a charicter called "Vox - The bionic bandit", who could be him, but I have only seen the cover which makes it a bit hard to tell. (metal men #51)

/edit: mmm, the story is called "Killing Me Softly With His Scream!" too, i think i may have a winner....

You got it.

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
Another thing I've been curious about - for those who saw the Monday night airing of Only a Dream pt 2 (and maybe the sat. one too), did u find it odd that there was another commercial break a minute before the episode ended? JL usually has commerical breaks after the opening, once during the program, and one more time before the credits roll. Here they inserted a break right after Batman beats Destiny, but before Hawkgirl wakes up.

Was the episode structured this way, or did YTV goof?

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
Thanks, Dwayne, for the insight into Vox. I updated Vox's entry at The Watchtower to reflect the new information.

So, this means that Vox is a combination of three sonic DC villains -- Vox, Sonar, and Silver Banshee. Neat.

Karkull said:
T
So, this means that Vox is a combination of three sonic DC villains -- Vox, Sonar, and Silver Banshee. Neat.

I don't think I know Sonar or Silver Banshee. What do they do?

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
So the similarities between your version of Vox and Sonar were a coincidence? Could you please tell us a little about what went into designing his character?

The Detective

Dwayne McDuffie said:
No, he wasn't. He was tweaked a bit but he first appeared in a DC Comic.
Sweet thanks for the info. Never heard of him before. At least now we know.

And I agree, to date the ending of ONLY A DREAM part 1 is the best cliff hanger so far.

Karkull said:
So the similarities between your version of Vox and Sonar were a coincidence? Could you please tell us a little about what went into designing his character?

I don't actually design characters, so visually, I don't know. We went through old DC Comics looking for a character who could be Vandal's second. We were already thinking sound powers, maybe like like Marvel's Black Bolt. I remember I really liked the name, "Vox." I thought I made up the voice box gimmick off of the name (which is Latin for "Voice") by compressing "VOice boX" into Vox" but if one of those other characters already had a similar gimmick, maybe I picked it up from one of the other guys who knew about it. Everybody works on everything, so it's really hard to remember who came up with what, or even where something came from. Sometimes one of the guys will compliment me on a line and I swear someone else came up with it. Sorry, I couldn't be more help.

Karkull

Eldritch Lord of Chaos
Staff member
Actually, that's very helpful. Thank you.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Well dang. Grey DeLisle was originally scheduled to be doing a free gig this coming Saturday here in Phoenix, but she's no longer listed on the bill. I guess she had to back out. I was going to go because I love her music in addition to her VA work, but not anymore. I'm glad I didn't make a reservation.
Man, I wish I got paid for every time someone on this forum said they believed that Warner Brothers Discovery was going to ax, erase or sell off the Looney Tunes franchise. I could retire tomorrow.
Why do so many adults with no kids get so hopping mad about the existence of preschool shows and blocks? "Grr! I hate Cartoonito and Mickey Mouse Fun House! How dare they make preschool shows!" I don't get it.
Did the forum drop the swear rule? I've seen serious high tier swears and adult terms.
Just 10 more days until part 2 of Invincible's second season. Let's go!!!

Featured Posts