Justice League Adventures #2 Talkback (Spoilers)

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
JUSTICE LEAGUE ADVENTURES #2

Written by Paul Storrie; art by Craig Rousseau and Wayne Faucher; cover by John Delaney

In stores December 12. A DC FULL COVERAGE! entry-point issue! The comic based on the brand new Cartoon Network show continues as the Justice League must find a way to defeat a strange magical cult that is targeting the treasures of museums around the world. To succeed, the League needs the Martian Manhunter, but is he too torn by his feelings of alienation from his new teammates to help?

Comments?

Supermon

Ku, better? No way!

Rousseau's art is way more loyal to the series and just looks better in my opinion. I thought the art was perfect and I put in my vote to make Rousseau the full time penciller.

As for the story, I was not at all impressed. Just another evil magic versus Superheros story to add to the worthless stack.

Some boring woman with a mask finds all this secret power by studying about the Gods. Whatever.
There are also quite a few plot holes as the story skips between the different members of the League.

Aside from the art the best part of the issue comes on the letters page when the editor mentions that in an upcoming issue they are going to, "throw dozens of super-villans at the League in one big adventure." Sounds cool. Better than aliens and magic crud anyway.

Trent Lane

How can that be?!
Another great story from Storrie! It's cool that it showed J'onn as sort of the leader, seeing as he's the one who brought them together in "Secret Origins", very nice continuity fit there. The art was as always awesome whn done by Rousseau. And this was way better than any of the magic stories that have graced the pages of Superman Adventures, so congrats on another hit, Paul!

PDStorrie

Originally posted by Superman
As for the story, I was not at all impressed. Just another evil magic versus Superheros story to add to the worthless stack.

Some boring woman with a mask finds all this secret power by studying about the Gods. Whatever.
There are also quite a few plot holes as the story skips between the different members of the League.

Supes,

Sorry that the story didn't work for you.

If you'd care to elaborate, what are the "plot holes" you mention?

PDS

Originally posted by flhero311
Another great story from Storrie! It's cool that it showed J'onn as sort of the leader, seeing as he's the one who brought them together in "Secret Origins", very nice continuity fit there. The art was as always awesome whn done by Rousseau. And this was way better than any of the magic stories that have graced the pages of Superman Adventures, so congrats on another hit, Paul!

Thanks, FL.

One of the things that the regular JLA book has brought out over the years is that J'onn, while perhaps not the leader of the League, is definitely its heart and core. I think that the Cartoon Network show has stuck to that idea and I tried to bring it out here.

PDS

Trent Lane

How can that be?!
It was very well done. J'onn's now one of my favorite characters, so it was cool to see him step up and get the League to stop their petty arguments. And the line on the last page "Thanks for bringing us, J'onn. I think we might be enjoying this as much as the kids... Even Batman." very cool...

PDStorrie

It was very well done. J'onn's now one of my favorite characters, so it was cool to see him step up and get the League to stop their petty arguments. And the line on the last page "Thanks for bringing us, J'onn. I think we might be enjoying this as much as the kids... Even Batman." very cool...

FL,

Did you happen to read the recent DCU Martian Manhunter series? I thought that John Ostrander did some really interesting stuff there, fleshing out the concept of what Martian society is like and just how alien J'onn is in some respects.

PDS

John Delaney

Justice League Adventures #2

I just finished reading Justice League Adventures#2 and I gotta say I thought it was great! Paul Storrie did an excellent job on the script, I especially liked how the story jumped from location to location like a movie(or an animated episode, if you will). Paul really let the reader "discover" the villian the way the heroes did. I also loved the J'onn J'onzz reflection in the glass when John Jones was looking in on the kids & Craig Rousseau's drawing of the Flash taking off his boots made me laugh out loud. I was proud indeed to have my cover on such an entertaining issue.
Way to go guys!

PDStorrie

Re: Justice League Adventures #2

Originally posted by John Delaney
I just finished reading Justice League Adventures#2 and I gotta say I thought it was great! Paul Storrie did an excellent job on the script, I especially liked how the story jumped from location to location like a movie(or an animated episode, if you will). Paul really let the reader "discover" the villian the way the heroes did. I also loved the J'onn J'onzz reflection in the glass when John Jones was looking in on the kids & Craig Rousseau's drawing of the Flash taking off his boots made me laugh out loud. I was proud indeed to have my cover on such an entertaining issue.
Way to go guys!

Thanks for the kind words, John!

Let me tell you, I was pretty darn pleased to have such a cool cover on my issue of JL Adv. Very nice work indeed. Between you and Darwyn Cooke I've had great luck with my cover artists for the Animated Series books I've written.

I have to agree with your comments about Craig's work. He really did another terrific job bringing my script to life.

PDS

John Delaney

Re: Re: Justice League Adventures #2

Originally posted by PDStorrie

Thanks for the kind words, John!

Let me tell you, I was pretty darn pleased to have such a cool cover on my issue of JL Adv. Very nice work indeed. Between you and Darwyn Cooke I've had great luck with my cover artists for the Animated Series books I've written.

I have to agree with your comments about Craig's work. He really did another terrific job bringing my script to life.

PDS
Hey Paul
T'warn't nuthin, you guys deserve it. By the way to be mentioned in the same senrence with the uber-talented Darwyn Cooke is high praise indeed. I sincerly thank you & hope you and I can work on something in the future.
Cheers!

Trent Lane

How can that be?!
Originally posted by PDStorrie

FL,

Did you happen to read the recent DCU Martian Manhunter series? I thought that John Ostrander did some really interesting stuff there, fleshing out the concept of what Martian society is like and just how alien J'onn is in some respects.

PDS

I'll have to keep an eye out for that, sounds intresting. And BTW, it's cool to see TWO guys involved with this issue on this thread, that's pretty awesome. John, you're doing issue #3, right?....

PDStorrie

Re: Re: Re: Justice League Adventures #2

Originally posted by John Delaney

Hey Paul
T'warn't nuthin, you guys deserve it. By the way to be mentioned in the same senrence with the uber-talented Darwyn Cooke is high praise indeed. I sincerly thank you & hope you and I can work on something in the future.
Cheers!

I look forward to it!

PDS

I'll have to keep an eye out for that, sounds intresting. And BTW, it's cool to see TWO guys involved with this issue on this thread, that's pretty awesome. John, you're doing issue #3, right?....

FL,

Sadly, Martian Manhunter only lasted 36 issues. All were written by John (or should that be J'onn) Ostrander and most were illustrated by the hyper-talented Tom Mandrake. The last was drawn by my good pal and soon-to-be collaborator (on Lone Star's Night & Day) Jamal Igle. Good stuff. Check out the back issue bins!

PDS

Joker85

Clown Prince
Wow! It's great to have you on the boards Storrie!! I loved issue 2. It was definitely an improvement over the first. Plus, aside from Batman, J'onn is my favorite character and I was glad to see the comic focused on him. I didn't know he had a series in mainstream! I would love to find backissues of this!! You said there were only 36 issues?

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
this is out already?!?!? I just found issue #1 today! Geesh...now I gotta hunt this one down!!

(don't worry..once I get the comic, I'll edit this message w/ my 'review' .. :) )

-BB

PDStorrie

Originally posted by Joker85
Wow! It's great to have you on the boards Storrie!! I loved issue 2. It was definitely an improvement over the first. Plus, aside from Batman, J'onn is my favorite character and I was glad to see the comic focused on him. I didn't know he had a series in mainstream! I would love to find backissues of this!! You said there were only 36 issues?

Joker,

Glad you enjoyed JL Adv. #2.

Yup, 36 issues of Martian Manhunter. That's three years worth, which is a pretty respectable run. It just wrapped up a few months ago, so you should be able to find back issues without too much trouble.

PDS

Originally posted by Bird_Boy
this is out already?!?!? I just found issue #1 today! Geesh...now I gotta hunt this one down!!

(don't worry..once I get the comic, I'll edit this message w/ my 'review' .. :) )

-BB

BB,

Well, I tried to warn you guys that it was coming up! Good luck tracking it down. Look forward to your comments once you do.

PDS

John Delaney

Hey flhero!
You bet! #3 is pencilled by me(both cover and interior) and inked by Randy Elliot. It was written by Fabian Nicieza, great guy and great writer. This was a very cool story to work on I hope you and everyone enjoy it as much as I did working on it. Big fights! Big action! I went for a real widescreen look to try and capture the letterbox feel of the show. I hope everyone will let me know what they think. January 9th is the day!
P.S. I also have an issue of FUTURAMA( #7) I did for Bongo comics coming out in January, check it out!

John Delaney

Originally posted by The Flash
Shameless plug!! :D Just kiddin, John. It's great to see you two guys here! ;)
Hey Flash
No you're right, it was shameless but hey a guy has got to get the word out one way or another! :D I think these forums are so great that way, it gives those of us working in the industry a direct line to what those who are reading the books are thinking, and that can never be a bad thing.
Cheers Mr.West!

The Flash

Fastest Man Alive
I understand. It was my way of saying welcome to the boards.
wavey.gif
........and you're right, they do rock! :)

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Sigh.

Must get out of this two-bit burg and into Syracuse while this absurdly snow-free weather lasts. Otherwise I'll never find a copy.

:mad:

Samhaine

Time To Relax
I just finished reading it, and while I enjoyed it, I'm thinking it may need to go the route of the show: cut out 1 or two of the characters to give a better focus on the characters that are in the book.

The art was great. I can't say anything bad about it. The depiction of MM and Batman were great, and Supes was really good too!

I thought the story worked. Although, I felt that the two panels of the team bickering with each other was out of place. It just didn't feel natural, especially the way that they "sounded" to me. Surely, Batman and GL wouldn't start whining like that. And Batman out in the daylight, visiting the hospital, also didn't feel right.

Other than those minor gripes, I really like how MM was played. I like that he made up John Jones here, how he was doing a little detective work on his own here. Made for some great scenes.

Oh, Bird_boy and anyone else looking for the MM mainstream comic: it was 36 issues, plus a 0 issue and a 1,000,000 issue. Just so you know. The few issues I picked up (money was never loose enough for this, expect in the 50% bin) were really good. Especially #24, an issue based during the JLI years (and pertaining to J'onn's Oreo addiction). It was too funny!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts