"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 7.7%

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
And we're back to the more supernatural episodes of the show. I don't really mind, we haven't had one like this in a while, and adding Stargirl to the roster made this more enjoyable. I like how she's portrayed on the show - granted she hasn't made that many appearances in cartoons prior to this, but she's left a better impression on me here, than on Justice League Unlimited (though I admit it would be kind of nice if she would develop a rivalry of sorts with Supergirl, provided she shows up soon). I also like how they added Courtney without STRIPE (her step-father, I think) which makes her one of the younger recruits of the Justice League, alongside Blue Beetle, Firestorm and others.

It was pretty nice seeing Klarion again and Constantine's return was well-timed. The "hobo" gags weren't all that funny to me, except for the first time Courtney mistook him for one. Batman's inclusion was mandatory, I suppose. I liked all the magic Constantine tried out to break that barrier (including a couch!). And it was especially nice seeing him use his fists rather than magic to take out Klarion. I guess a stroll towards three demon girls is a proper reward. :p

All in all, this was a good episode. Some good comedy, like Klarion as Timmy bossing Courtney around and Teekl looking for the artifact. The action scenes were fine as well. Pretty entertaining stuff.

TheModster

I love that we got two Stargirl-starring episodes in a row. :)

Looks like they've updated Klarion's design since "Trick or Threat". He's blue-skinned now. I guess that would make this the first time in animation that his modern design from the comics was used?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The joke with Constantine being called a hobo still cracks me up. Also, I give props to Natalie Lander for keeping up the spunk with Stargirl, and the fact she could even voice a young boy like Timmy given that it's not her usual forte to voice a young boy.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It probably wasn't intentional, but I kind of wonder if naming the kid Timmy was an allusion to The Fairly Odd Parents.

A boy named Timmy... voiced by a girl... who needs a babysitter... and some magic stuff happening around him. :p

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Oh and the part when Constantine yells in Japanese - he's saying "Senshi no Yurei" or basically Ghost Warrior - hence the ghost that appears. Then the kanji that appears on the barrier is "Yabu" or to "break" or "tear".

Frontier

Staff member
Thinking on it, Stargirl and Firestorm have now both had a few "solo" episodes to their name, so I hope we get another episode with Blue Beetle soon :).

TheModster

This is the second time Constantine got something out of a encounter with Klarion. First he got the key to the House of Mystery, and now he has the Magdalene Grimoire (somehow... it's technically stolen :ack:)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

talkback.jpg
Justice League Action "Booster's Gold"
Episode Debut - August 12th, 2017
Written by - Jim Krieg
Directed by - Jake Castorena

Green Arrow becomes involved with Booster Gold when he discovers that the self-centered superhero has brought dinosaurs back from the past for a money-making venture.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

ShadowBeast

Booster's Gold: This one kind of regresses Booster's character development from his previous episode. The Jurassic Park reference was nice, and Booster saying that people in the future have really short attention spans really speaks truth of where the human race is going.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I love how he built cages for them that are clearly only a couple inches tall. The huminiod dinosaurs was kind of a stretch though.

Frontier

Staff member
Remember how "Time Out" showed that there's more to Booster then a vain, idiotic, time-traveler out to make a quick buck? Well forget about all of that because now he's back to being a vain, idiotic, time-traveler out to make a quick buck :p.

It was pretty cool seeing them turn Green Arrow's island, where he trained to become the hero he is today, with the classic Dinosaur Island :cool:.

I love how Green Arrow keeps trying to have a poignant moment but the story just won't let him :anime:.

Although you'd think Green Arrow might've taken it more personally that Booster had taken something so important to him and turned it into a haphazard theme park populated by vicious dinosaurs :eek:

There were so many reasons why Booster's plan probably wouldn't work, but not the least of which is the fact that he probably could've been sued for stealing the idea of Jurassic Park/World from the movies. Unless there's no law about stealing a fictional idea from a movie and putting it in practice :ack:...

Y'know, if Skeets was around he probably would've told Booster ahead of time how badly this idea was going to turn out. I mean, Booster would probably still have gone through with it, but it's the reason Skeets is his wingman and not the voiceless cameo he was in "Time Out" :sad:.

Green Arrow has proven by now that he can play off any hero well, but I thought his straight-man dynamic with Booster in this episode was a lot of fun. It really evoked the classic Blue and Gold dynamic with Booster and the Ted Kord Blue Beetle, though of course GA is no Ted Kord ;).

Booster mentioning his Legion flight ring was cool. It would be pretty awesome to see the show ever touch on the Legion of Superheroes, if only to see Shane Glines do redesigns for all of them :D.

I wonder if that line about Green Arrow going by just "Arrow" was a knock on the Arrowverse version of Ollie :rolleyes2:?

I wonder how the timeline is going to reset itself given Booster and Green Arrow kind of ended the episode as time anomalies after they altered events to prevent Booster from getting his idea for "Booster World." I guess after Booster was adjusted to the new timeline he just took himself and GA back to the present :confused:?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What a weird, weird episode.

But "dilettante"? Oh snap, Bats.

I wonder if that line about Green Arrow going by just "Arrow" was a knock on the Arrowverse version of Ollie :rolleyes2:?
Course, it had to be. That was my favorite part even though, a little cocky line to write on Krieg's part. j/k lmao.

EDIT: Maybe the outline of GA returning to the island only for something to go wrong could be a sneaky nod to "Arrow", too. lol.

Also interesting they 'moved' it from the South Pacific to the Atlantic and merged Starfish and Dinosaur Island. Then from there a lot of possible nods/coincidences. Like there was the one-off Dinosaur Island in the Silver Age Batman comics that was a theme park of dinosaur robots and where Batman gets the famous Tyrannosaurus Rex in his Batcave. Or there's this awful 90s movie called Dinosaur Island that was accused of ripping off Jurassic Park.

Of course the Jurassic Park/Jurassic World thing. But the plesiosaur had to be a nod to the latter. And well the raptors. Typhoon at the start could have been another sneaky nod.

And another Wile E Coyote nod like in that one webisode, falling way down.

When Booster lifted Arrow around to the park, that's an existing feature of the flight rings in the comics. Basically a flash light that could move people or things around.

When Booster talks about only getting to the first 10 minutes of the movie on account of his super short attention span, that had to be a meta comment about the shorter format of TTG! and JLA. lol.

Hm, even when Green Arrow sees all the dinosaurs and wonders about the impact on the modern ecosystem -- could have been a nod to GA's environmentalist roots in the comics.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Pretty good episode. I liked the team-up between Arrow and Booster. This was fun, as opposed to the last big Booster episode ("Time Out") which was probably the most dramatic thing to come out of this show, at least so far.

Dinosaur island was a nice setting and I liked the various species of dinosaurs used here. Seeing Arrow try and survive was probably the best part. Booster getting the idea for Booster World from a "primitive 21st century 2D" movie was pretty hilarious. Same goes for how the humans are evolving and having shorter attention spans. But my favorite gag was probably Booster starting to make finger shadow puppets in the background, once the power went out. :p

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
Ehh. Buddy comedy doesn't work as well if the two characters never come to any kind of understanding, but we only got 11 minutes.

Same thing with "Dinotopia." and Green Arrow's malaise. These things could've been elaborated on and developed or we can fit the runtime. My headcanon (ugh, I'm so ashamed) is that Green Arrow spends the rest of his life preventing Booster Gold from learning about the Jurassic Park franchise.

There were so many reasons why Booster's plan probably wouldn't work, but not the least of which is the fact that he probably could've been sued for stealing the idea of Jurassic Park/World from the movies. Unless there's no law about stealing a fictional idea from a movie and putting it in practice :ack:...

Booster's in the clear as long as he didn't use the same name and logo.

I wonder how the timeline is going to reset itself given Booster and Green Arrow kind of ended the episode as time anomalies after they altered events to prevent Booster from getting his idea for "Booster World." I guess after Booster was adjusted to the new timeline he just took himself and GA back to the present :confused:?

Unless the work is explicitly focused on the intricacies of time travel (Zero Escape), I just tend to ignore these kinds of logical plot inconsistencies.

But my favorite gag was probably Booster starting to make finger shadow puppets in the background, once the power went out. :p

Now there's your "primitive" technology I tell you what.

Troy Troodon

This is one of my least favorite episodes so far, and for several reasons.

1. The dinosaurs of course, still inaccurate! Not just the lack of feathers but in terms of their overall biology and proportions, or to put it frankly, they just look like those vintage 1950's-70's dinos. I'm not even sure those raptors were even raptors; in fact I could totally re-draw those scenes with how I'd draw them (in fact I just might) so you'd get a better idea of how they should look! At least GA referred to the pterosaur as a 'pterosaur' and not "pterodactyl" but still!

2. Booster was a complete numbskull in this! Most of what he said only made him more of an idiot, and let's not forget the "Booster's only in it for the money" retcon people keep buying, sure it's a motive for him but he's a much better character than that!

3. Why can't Dinosaur Island have already existed?! And honestly this just felt like filler (Technically four but the last one is a two parter.)

Although I did think The Arrow joke was funny, if only because it sements how lame a title that actually is.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
2. Booster was a complete numbskull in this! Most of what he said only made him more of an idiot, and let's not forget the "Booster's only in it for the money" retcon people keep buying, sure it's a motive for him but he's a much better character than that!
He still has his moments like this though :p.

3. Why can't Dinosaur Island have already existed?! And honestly this just felt like filler (Technically four but the last one is a two parter.)
I guess because they wanted to combine it with Green Arrow's island to facilitate his role in the episode :).

And while there are some ongoing stories/plotlines on the show, I don't think it's serialized enough to where any episode could be counted as "filler."

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I want to say it's because we had weeks of DR Movie animated episodes then this one by SMIP but yeah, the way the dinosaurs were animated in the first half especially in action against Green Arrow -- seemed off on repeat viewings. Maybe it was B-team. But it also could have been my inner fanboy questioning why Ted Kord hasn't been used on this show yet then weeping they probably killed him off already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts