John Lasseter Takes Leave Of Absence From Pixar Following ‘Unwanted Hugs’ And ‘Other Gestures’

Latest News

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
701 2
Canada
Given the climate of the time and how he worded this statement, I'd bet money that we're going to hear a flood of harassment allegations against Lasseter in the near future. If I'm right, I highly doubt he'll ever return to Pixar. It's very sad and deeply disappointing.

TsWade2

Apr 5, 2015
Ratings
302 5
I'm shocked and confused. I mean, as much I know I'm sometimes mad at him for not doing more 2d animated feature films like he promise, but this is very shocking. I was thinking to blame it on the executives, but I guess I don't want to go there.

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
Jan 19, 2013
Ratings
159 2
Pennsylvania
I’m just fed up and angry at this point. Seeing a man I had respect and appreciation for be revealed as a disgusting creep, and the fact many others within Pixar enabled him to continue with these abhorrent actions sickens me even more.

TsWade2

Apr 5, 2015
Ratings
302 5
They're on investigations right now, so it hasn't been decided whether Disney brings him back or not. If this is true, then shame on him. If not, I'll apologize. I hope we're not reaching the dark age of Disney again, even though they're not using hand drawn animation.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
This is pretty disheartening news. I like his work with Pixar as much as the next person, but if these statements are true, then I really hope that he doesn't come back and he faces any legal punishment for his actions. These claims are pretty disturbing, especially when this has been apparently happening for years and there's a term women in the office created to avoid Lasseter touching their thins or kissing them. Just reading the article was making my skin crawl. Women's safety in the workplace should be more of a priority than what impact Lasseter has on animation or whether or not we'll enter another Disney Dark Age.

While they are investigating these claims, I don't like how they're trying to downplay his actions. Alleged misconduct sounds like a fancy way of saying sexual harassment and Lasseter calling his behavior missteps is definitely beating around the bush. Not to mention he sounds more sorry that he got in trouble rather than feeling guilty for his actions. Regardless of whether or not these claims are true, that can be a way that the media tries to downplays sexual harassment cases and it does bother me in general.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
777 7
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Man, there are no heroes anymore. Maybe there never were.

Lasseter is largely responsible for pulling Disney out of the brink and back into the groove of making good movies....though Bob Iger also had a lot to do with that, Lasseter's absence is going to leave a big hole. If the wrong person fills that hole, we'll get Pixar films about screaming hyperactive squirrels within five years.

Yeesh.....I hate uncertainty.

DeanBurrito25

Jan 15, 2009
Ratings
686 4
mattdeanart.com
Oooooooooof. As far as the wave of Hollywood sexual predators being ousted goes, this one hurts me the most, because I actually look up to Lasseter and his work.

He gave us Toy Story, played a key role in making Pixar a household name, and brought Disney Animation out of their mid 2000's funk. But I'll be damned if I said this didn't suck. What a mess. But the voices of the victims come first, always.

What's even more frustrating is that Amid is probably having a field day with this news. :shrug:

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
701 2
Canada
The mention of “unwanted hugs” in his statement reminded me of something.

In 2011, I remember Pixar produced a short documentary that detailed a day in the life of Lasseter as he was directing Cars 2. Something always struck me as odd. The moment he walks in the door of Pixar headquarters, three employees (two female one male) go over to him and hug him. After the first hug, he happily declares “That’s my first hug of the day!” That’s kind of sticking in mind now, and it’s pretty creepy knowing what we now know. You can see it here, and the scene in question is around 08:10. I’m not saying it means anything, but I remember seeing that video in 2011 and think it was very odd and almost a little creepy.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,657 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I’m gonna use that quote, Peter. It’s good.

Well, there’s been talk about this for quite some time, and it’s truly saddening to hear that not only it’s true, not only that it’s been going on for a long time, but the fact that Disney has been trying to keep this quiet for so long. It puts the whole company in a bad light. I try to stick up for Disney as it continues to grow as a media conglom, but this is one of the many things in recent months that ruins my good faith in the corporation.

As for who will be the new chief creative officer; well Andrew Stanton, Pete Doctor, and Brad Bird directed better films than Lasseter. I think any of them should just take the helm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Geek

Gera Gera Po
Dec 31, 2013
Ratings
544 11
United States
If Lasseter ends up having to leave Pixar for good, how will this affect Pixar’s future projects? (I’m not really worried about The Incredibles 2 since we’ve already got a trailer out, but Ralph Breaks the Internet? Frozen 2? Toy Story 4?)

One thing’s for certain...the Cars franchise will be put out of its misery. The only reason it’s lasted as long as it has is because of Lasseter’s love for it.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,622 7
Framingham, MA
It turns out my guess a few months ago that this stuff is widespread and endemic in Hollywood and DC is right. There are SO many allegations coming forward so fast, that I'm starting to wonder if either Washington or the movie industry could even function properly if every single person who was accused was fired or resigned. As much as this pains me, at some point we are probably going to have to decide who stays and goes by the seriousness of the offense and not just get rid of everybody. This purging is great for making sure it stops happening. But if every single man who ever did this in DC or Hollywood loses their job, it's going to cripple both Washington and the industry.

I don't see any other solution besides prioritizing the crimes. Do you?

NeoplanDan

Avid SEPTA Transit Fan
Apr 24, 2016
Ratings
1,415 9
Philadelphia PA
cricketgreens.tumblr.com
This trend shows how Hollywood is really scrubbing down on offenders and I am glad they are doing so. Shame on you Lasseter.
Then again, you don’t know of what had happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Lasseter ends up having to leave Pixar for good, how will this affect Pixar’s future projects? (I’m not really worried about The Incredibles 2 since we’ve already got a trailer out, but Ralph Breaks the Internet? Frozen 2? Toy Story 4?)

One thing’s for certain...the Cars franchise will be put out of its misery. The only reason it’s lasted as long as it has is because of Lasseter’s love for it.
It’ll have to do better without him.

Oooooooooof.
What's even more frustrating is that Amid is probably having a field day with this news. :shrug:
Personally I’ve never liked that guy, he always comes up with his lame hypocrisy on anything, I could care less if he’s falls into something like this that been happening all month long and they fired him, doesn’t know when to shut the hell up on something that doesn’t needed to be slandered at all.

It’s sad that ever since Weinstein started all of this, all its doing is making this whole thing falling apart and we don’t know whether these so-called victims are lying or telling the truth.

Last edited by a moderator: