John Lasseter Hired At Skydance Animation

Latest News & Videos

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm sadly not surprised. Even with how recent these accusations came to light, John Lasseter is still a big name in the animation industry. Plenty of studios would still want to hire him just because he was attached to a lot of big successful Disney and Pixar movies. He would not have a hard time finding work again even with everything he did.

That being said, it does sound like they thoughtful in how they approached hiring him. They recognized what he did, looked further into it and talked to him to see if he could manage working in this position. Granted, I think just saying he made mistakes it being a bit too light on his sexual harassment, but I also thought the same thing when the headline for the first article about his behavior was about unwanted hugs. It still gives the impression that they didn't jump at the chance to hire him just because of his past work for Disney/Pixar and took time to see if he could handle this responsibility. John Lasseter's statements also give the impression that he at least recognized what he did was wrong and has made effort to improve his behavior.

Admittedly, I might be just too optimistic. It is still hard to believe that John Lasseter has completely turned his behavior around, at least right off the bat given how long he was sexually harassing women, and the idea that Skydance Animation wanted him just for his name brand recognition isn't out of the question either. Still, the official statements from both parties give me some hope that they have genuinely put a lot of time and effort into making this decision. If John Lasseter has really changed and he won't sexually harass his new female co-workers, then that's good as far as I'm concerned. Whether or not he makes good movies with this new studio isn't really a concern for me compared to the safety and happiness of the people working at Skydance Animation.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Could somebody list some of Skydancer's films? I will be doing a boycott.
From the article:

Skydance Animation was founded in 2017 and has its first two feature-length films in the pipeline: Luck, directed by Alessandro Carloni and written by Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger, and an untitled action fantasy penned by Linda Woolverton and directed by Vicky Jenson. The unit has a multi-year partnership with Madrid-based Ilion Animation Studios to develop and produce a slate of high-end animated films and TV series.

Dudley

Staff member
I’m shocked when I really shouldn’t be. John Lasseter, despite all he’s done, is far too valuable an asset for any animation studio. He revitalized Disney Animation, and made Pixar the revered powerhouse it is today. It’s terrible it happened so fast, as I figure he’d need more time to reflect on his actions, but as I said, he’s far too valuable.
If anything, I’m surprised he got picked up by another American animation studio, I thought he would leave the country and join up with a foreign studio. A way to leave things behind and start anew.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Skydancer's holding the Sword of Damocles over him. The contract he had to sign makes him liable for all damages and legal fees if what happened happens again.

No, I don't think this is right. He fell from a high position and bounced right back into another high position. It's not what you'd call "justice." John could have entered the industry again at some point -- in a much lower position -- but not like this, it sends the wrong message.

Could somebody list some of Skydancer's films? I will be doing a boycott.
You won't be alone, I guarantee. Whatever the first animated project out of this studio is, it'll have protesters with signs at its premiere. Skydancer should've weighed the controversy of this decision over the end product.

I’m shocked when I really shouldn’t be. John Lasseter, despite all he’s done, is far too valuable an asset for any animation studio. He revitalized Disney Animation, and made Pixar the revered powerhouse it is today. It’s terrible it happened so fast, as I figure he’d need more time to reflect on his actions, but as I said, he’s far too valuable.
If anything, I’m surprised he got picked up by another American animation studio, I thought he would leave the country and join up with a foreign studio. A way to leave things behind and start anew.
You thought he'd defect to Russia? :D

Dr.Pepper

I surprised anyone would pick him up. I know he’s good at directing animated films, but still I doubt he’s turned his life around.

Dudley

Staff member
I see people here talk every now and then about how greedy entertainment execs can be.
This is perhaps the most clear example of Hollywood corporate greed in recent memory. Skydance doesn’t care about the backlash or the risks that comes with having Lasseter on board. All that matters to the people in charge is that he’s going to make them rich.

Apparently, Paramount, who holds a co-financing, distribution deal with Skydance, was not made aware of Lasseter’s hiring.

Skydance's John Lasseter Hire Could Cause Problems for Paramount

It’ll be interesting to see if they’ll try to get out of their contract.

And also, I admit I’m interested in seeing how Skydance Animation’s films turn out. It’ll show how much of an impact and influence Lasseter really had on his films at Pixar and Disney.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Paramount not being aware of Skydance Animation hiring Lasseter does make their official statement about how they looked into the matters before making this decision less believable sadly. I still might have been too optimistic or taking the statements in the earlier article at face value, but I was hoping that there was some genuine efforts on both parties parts to improve and make sure that Lasseter wouldn't pull the same kind of sexual harassment behavior in his new job. I do believe that people who commit sexual harassment need to be held accountable for their actions of course, but I also think that if they can change for the better, then they should be allowed to find work. This does depend on the situation of course and some actions are just plain unforgivable.

Admittedly, this new position happening just about a year after he was forced to leave Disney/Pixar doesn't really help to give the impression that he has had enough time to reflect on his behavior and genuinely improve. If he has, then I still think that is good, but I wouldn't blame anyone in Skydance Animation for being uncomfortable around him either way.

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Boycott Skydance. Understood, perfectly. To be fair, none of their stuff is all that memorable for me from past memory, anyway - this only rubs salt on the wound that is the lack of a positive reputation for them, IMHO.

I don't know what to think here.
As I'm as much as a fan as the movies Lasseter took part on at Disney and Pixar, the allegations of misconduct against him are d@mning and disgusting to say the least.

Now that he has a job again, it really makes me feel conflicted. I want to believe he has changed and find some interest in the movies he makes for Skydance; but I can't. And even if he did, who really knows (and these days, who would really care)? I'm just really interested in what happens at Skydance from this point forward.
Boy, this'll be a doozy.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
This goes to show show utterly and totally depraved commercial animation is. Live-action is also pretty gross, but at least the accusations against Weinstein et al. were taken seriously. Because animation is such a ordure-show, this guy's accusations are treated as a joke.

What's next? Could John K. make a comeback, too?

Dudley

Staff member
Yeah, I don’t blame women for not wanting to work at Skydance anymore. Having a known creep in charge would make anyone feel uneasy. I wonder how many women who work there would leave. The crew is only 65 people, and I don’t see that growing or changing much, considering the animation work is being done in another country. What I’m basically saying is that the crew in the U.S is small and it can easily be filled with people who are willing to work with him, creating the fabled “boy’s club”. Any women who are tied to a project would try to leave as soon as possible, unless they want to run the risk of being a victim.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, that article really put it into more perspective for me. While I was trying to be hopeful in that the parties involved were being careful with this decision, it is definitely upsetting for women in the animation industry. After everything he did, especially for how long he was sexually harassing women, he gets a new position in just over a year seemingly so that more people will want to work at Skydance Animation. I wouldn't blame anyone for feeling uncomfortable at Skydance and being unable to work or pitch their ideas over there.

I got to reading the article, and it gave me a new perspective. I'm now certain Lassetter is a disgusting vermin, and Skydance was wrong to hire him over a year after his dismissal (If not at all).

I feel so sorry for the female employees at the company who heard about the news back then and now have to share a working environment with him today. The fact that women in any workplace still have these fears of getting touched or catcalled or worse in the 21st century pisses me off and and the fact that Lassetter is one of the perverted perpetrators angers me as much.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I don't get why some people thought the Season 5 Finale of Steven Universe would've been better suited as a Series Finale, when there's still a TV Movie and at least one more season coming on the way.
I have a channel on YouTube - TheSnickers04 :)
"Double Dare at Super Bowl" commercial! Can't wait!
Viacom is buying PlutoTV it's official now
Asa
Today the world honored the legacy of our true hero, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr and his most famous motto, "I have a dream".