Jessica Jones in animation

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Warning, this thread can deal with some heavy subject matter.

How should Jessica Jones be handled in animation? She is tricky because she was created for Marvel's Max line and was not a character aimed at kids.

She was a normal superhero, but was enslaved and tortured by a mind controlling psychopath named Kilgrave (originally a silly Silver Age villain named Purple Man) for months and went into an alcoholic tailspin after that. She eventually got her life together and married Luke Cage, but that took a while.

None of that is appropriate for kids, to work in a kids show, you have downplay the backstory a lot and just make her a cool, snarky PI with powers who helps heroes with info. But Jessica Jones as a main character only works in an adult setting.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
Unless a character's entire being is centered entirely around something too extreme for kids, I don't think they're unadaptable. Jessica is a weather worn private eye with super powers, a troubled past (even minus the Purple Man abuse), and a failed hero career. I think she can be used with good writing. If Jonah Hex, John Constantine and any number of characters can be done, I think she can be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I mean, the 90's show was able to make Carnage and The Punisher work, so I don't think Jessica Jones is all that impossible to use.

I think the real issue is just that Marvel cartoons generally limit their casts to some degree and don't seem all that interested in really promoting or featuring the characters from the Netflix shows at this point.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
Jessica Jones has appeared in more family friendly video games (mainly Lego games) being voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Tara Strong at different points. It's not impossible to put a character from a mostly adult story into something more child friendly (i.e. Constantine in Justice League Action), though cases like that warrant looking at the character more on their own and less on comic book faithfulness .

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
It doesn't help that she's the only lead protagonist from the Netflix Marvel shows who has never appeared in animated shows, whereas Matt, Luke, Danny and Frank have.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
Yeah but she's also the one with the least overall history as Murdock debuted in the 60's and the others in the 70's so have had more time to grow in a sense a general audience while Jessica Jones was only created in 2001.

And honestly I think there is a divide in how some more "adult" characters are treated in certain mediums. I mean there's a reason why despite how popular they are to comic book fans DC never gave Watchman an animated series (and not just because Harry Patridge parodied how stupid appealing Watchmen to kids would be) for example. Plus sans Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes, a lot of those other portrayals of these more mature heroes weren't that great. I guess daredevil in the 90's Spider Man animated series was okay but man punisher was hilariously nerfed and twisted to fit and... less said about teen Iron Fist and Luke Cage in Ultimate Spider man the better.

Reactions: Freddy

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
And honestly I think there is a divide in how some more "adult" characters are treated in certain mediums. I mean there's a reason why despite how popular they are to comic book fans DC never gave Watchman an animated series (and not just because Harry Patridge parodied how stupid appealing Watchmen to kids would be) for example. Plus sans Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes, a lot of those other portrayals of these more mature heroes weren't that great. I guess daredevil in the 90's Spider Man animated series was okay but man punisher was hilariously nerfed and twisted to fit and... less said about teen Iron Fist and Luke Cage in Ultimate Spider man the better.
As nerfed as Punisher was, in terms of characterization, backstory, and general modus operandi, he wasn't that far off from the comics in the 90's cartoon.

Luke and Danny both had much more comic-accurate portrayals in Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Would you believe I was first exposed to Angelica Hale through here?
Oh look at that. My cable provider wants me to pay even MORE money just so I can watch the new Owl House episode on DisneyNow. Are you kidding me?
The winner is "Let's Meet Sonic", which got 3 votes. "Monster Party" got 1 vote. The next matchup is animated crossovers with live action shows. This time it's between "Halloween Night At The Museum" (Ultimate Spiderman & Jessie) and ScoobyNatural (Supernatural & Scooby Doo).

If schedule listings are to be believed, it appears as though Toonami will be airing reruns of DBS' Universe Survival Saga starting tonight.
Can we talk about how a French home video company had an opening logo consisting of an animated Groucho Marx set to disco music? I especially like the Fender Rhodes solo during the second half, even if it's just the warning message.