Jessica Cruz in Animation: A Retrospective

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
To celebrate the premiere of the new animated feature Justice League vs. the Fatal Five, I figured it would be a good time to look back on some of the characters' previous animated appearances. If everything goes well, you can expect more threads like this to be posted on this very forum over the next couple of weeks. This thread will focus on Jessica Cruz, one of the newest Green Lanterns of Space Sector 2814 (which includes Earth, as everyone knows). As a side-note, this thread will mainly focus on Jessica, and only mention other Green Lanterns when necessary. An entire retrospective for all the Green Lanterns is a neat idea, but I doubt I would ever attempt starting such a time-consuming topic.

Admittedly, there's not much to cover here, as the character had only a few appearances in animated projects especially considering she is a relatively recent creation from the comics, but I think there is still enough for a decent sized retrospective. While these articles may not be as detailed or well-written as some of my previous retrospectives (due to various reasons, including but not limited to time constraints), I hope you will still enjoy reading through them. And keep in mind these are just my opinions. Feel free to share your own thoughts, comments or even point out any possible errors in my write-ups below!

Jessica Cruz made her debut in 2014, in the pages of Justice League #31, and was created by Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver. Interestingly enough, she was not initially chosen by a true Green Lantern power ring, but rather by an evil power ring which which belonged to the Crime Syndicate from a parallel universe. The ring located her sensing her fear (her friends were just murdered - long story). Batman helps de-activate the ring and helps Jessica overcome most of her fears. Green Lantern Hal Jordan tries teaching her how to control such a weapon, but ultimately she gets rid of the evil power ring with help from Cyborg and the Flash. Only then an actual Green Lantern Corps ring comes to her, and she joins their ranks. She also joins the Justice League eventually, but she still has doubts about her new role as a Green Lantern. She is usually able to overcome her fears, but they do still exist and I think that makes her a pretty unique character and sometimes even relatable.

Jessica made her animated debut in 2018, on the DC Super Hero Girls web-series. The franchise was launched in 2015, s the title suggests, the entire project mainly focuses on super-heroines, such as Wonder Woman (although a younger version of the character), Supergirl, Batgirl and many others, including some that are usually considered villains, such as Harley Quinn or Poison Ivy. Keep in mind this is an alternate universe where they all attend Super Hero High run by Amanda Waller and Gorilla Grodd, so pretty much anything is possible, I suppose. It is mostly aimed at a much younger audience as well as a female demographic. But that's not to say no boys or even adults are featured within the show, and I think the multitude of media that spawned from this franchise can possibly be enjoyed by just about anyone.

V3Euc20.png

The season 4 premiere was a 4-part story, titled "Ring Me Maybe", which introduced Jessica and focused on her origin story. Here Jessica was voiced by Cristina Milizia and was Lois Lane's assistant camera woman (if that's the correct term - she's basically a substitute for Jimmy Olsen). She's a shy girl and it's made pretty clear from the start she is easily startled and scared about various everyday things.

The story begins with the two reporters covering the farewell party the students of Super Hero High gave Green Lantern Hal Jordan, who was about to leave to Oa in order to complete his training. A new power ring would be sent soon to find a replacement Green Lantern on Earth, while he is away. As soon as he leaves, Sinestro - not only leader of the Yellow Lantern Corps, but also headmaster of Korugar Academy - arrives to take various heroes as hostages, wishing to form a new dream team to win the Intergalactic Games competition (he lost the previous one, a story shown in one of the direct-to-video movies set within this continuity). He easily captures Starfire, Flash, Wonder Woman and Supergirl.

A power ring soon appears and seeks out Jessica, explaining she was chosen as the new Green Lantern for Earth. However she refuses to accept this, and tries getting rid of the ring in some pretty amusing ways. Batgirl eventually convinces her to believe in herself and wield the ring to stop Sinestro. Jessica reluctantly agrees, and becomes the new Green Lantern. Her design looks good enough, and I think she fits nicely alongside the other characters on the show. Notably, she wears a classic domino mask to cover her identity, rather than the eye-patch or whatever it is called she wears in the comics (and would wear in future animated projects as well).

Jessica confronts Sinestro, but her power ring constructs are not really enough to stop the villain. She creates stuff like butterflies or giant kitties (following the logic that looking at kitties sometimes calms her down). Eventually she realizes the power ring knows she can overcome her fears, and as such she creates giant constructs of her idols - Batgirl, Supergirl and Wonder Woman - to fight SInestro giant dragon construct. She manages to win, and even embarrass Sinestro by removing his yellow power ring, and leaving him in his underwear.

The other heroes welcome her as the new Green Lantern, and there's also a pretty amusing scene where Lois recognizes her as Jessica, despite her mask. I took this as a fun reversal to how Lois usually cannot tell Superman's secret identity despite him not wearing a mask at all, but to be fair, Superman never showed up on this series so things might have been different here. Besides, he's supposed to have graduated Super Hero High before the current class, and Lois still seems to be a teenager, so their relationship would probably have been a lot different. But I digress...

Jessica also joins Super Hero High, and as a result appears in a few more webisodes. However, with each webisode being only around 4 minutes long, and her not really doing anything noteworthy in her subsequent appearances, there's really not much to talk about. I did appreciate how the series gave her an actual origin story, as not too many other characters received the same treatment.

All things considered, this was a pretty good debut for Jessica's animated career. This DC Super Hero Girls version of the character was handled well enough, and is also pretty faithful to the comics. Speaking of which, I understand she also plays a pretty big role in a digital comic set within this same DCSHG continuity, titled "Spaced Out", but I have not read it, and this retrospective is supposed to focus more on her actual animated appearances. Also, all of the webisodes should still be available for viewing on the DC Super Hero Girls YouTube Channel. They're pretty entertaining and offer some good moments and neat characterizations for some of the heroes and villains featured. And like I said, I thought Jessica was handled fine here.

Also worth noting is that a new version of the DC Super Hero Girls premiered earlier this year on the Cartoon Network. While it uses the same title, pretty much the same main characters and some of the voice actors, a different crew is working on the project. The character designs are also different, and the style and tone of the show is likewise different enough to distinguish the two series. Jessica is one of the main characters here, so I will have more to talk about this show in a future article. But until then...

Next: LEGO Jessica Cruz!

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Jessica's next animated appearances were in the form of a LEGO figurine, in a couple of direct-to-video movies released in 2018. First up we have Lego DC Super Hero Girls: Super-Villain High, set in the same continuity as the previously discussed web-series, though I think there might be a few inconsistencies occasionally. Cristina Milizia reprises the voice over duties, and Jessica's design looks pretty much the same as on the web-series, just you know, in LEGO form. As a note, this review will contain some spoilers for the movie since it is kind of difficult to talk about it, or Jessica's role, without covering most of the twists in the story.

The main villain of the movie is Lena Luthor, who devises a plan to recruit some of the more villainous students at Super Hero High, such as Catwoman, Cheetah, Frost, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. It is interesting given these characters are usually depicted as rogues or at the very least anti-heroes in most other media projects, but have been portrayed as rather heroic on this franchise. Out of them, I think only Cheetah and maybe Catwoman would probably be the most likely ones to become villains, but it is kind of hard to think these versions of Poison Ivy or Frost would ever go bad. Lena's plan includes her infiltrating the school and sending her Kryptomites to frame the aforementioned girls for various mischief (such as freezing the water pipes, spraying itching powder on Wonder Woman's head or releasing a giant rampaging plant in the school), in an attempt to get them to quit Super Hero High and join the new Uber High. Once there, Lena (now posing as Principal Taller) tricks the girls into committing crimes for her, explaining they are all school projects and stuff like that there. They all go along with it, though Cheetah seems to be the only one who knows Lena is actually behind all this.

4boTCm3.jpg

Green Lantern Jessica Cruz gets a decent amount of screen-time here. She also plays a pretty nice role with her infiltrating Uber High to see what Lena is actually planning. There are some amusing bits in there, with her trying to fit in with the other "villains", or messing up their first mission by trying to help her new classmates only to cause more harm (and instead helping her heroic friends who were trying to stop the theft of an ancient artifact from Cadmus). However Jessica is soon captured by the villains and Lena uses Yellow Kryptomites to bring out more of her fears, to defeat her.

There are a bunch of sub-plots in the movie (including a friendly rivalry between Bubmlebee and Katana), and lots of amusing bits, such as the mission to the Rock of Eternity where the heroines have to fight the Seven Deadly Enemies of Man. The interactions between most of the characters are fun, whether it is on the heroes or villains side of things. I admit I thought the dilemma of some of the girls becoming villains didn't exactly work but the story was still handled pretty well. And the morals about friendship and teamwork the franchise has been focusing on since the beginning are still present, and help save the day once more. Lena's plan was to use the artifacts gathered as power sources for her new mecha-suit, which also allows her to absorb the heroines' powers. But as expected, by working together, with the "villains" returning to Super Hero High, the fight is won.

Other neat Jessica Cruz related bits in the movie include her sparring sessions with Frost and Poison Ivy, or her taking a driver's test with instructor red Tornado. She fails the test though since she leaves to help Supergirl and the others fight a giant rampaging plant. There's a lot of humor in the movie as well, which didn't work all the time but there were a few amusing bits. I liked how the girls thought Cheetah was being brain-washed by Lena into helping, though that didn't seem to be the case. As I said, she was one of the most likely candidates of actually turning into an actual rogue in this continuity. Likewise, Harley kind of figured out what was happening at Uber High, but went along with it because it looked like fun.

All in all, this was a fun movie. They manages to balance quite a few plots, and characters as well. The mix of humor and action also worked for the most part, as is usually the case for the LEGO animated movies. The story wasn't bad, but as mentioned before, I found it a little weird some of these characters would just want to quit Super Hero High after a few misunderstandings. But, overall I enjoyed the movie. As for Jessica Cruz, she had a pretty good role and used her powers rather effectively. It's also cool she got more to do here than on the web-series.

Jessica next appeared in LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes - Aquaman: Rage of Atlantis, yet another direct-to-video animated movie, similarly using LEGO figurines but this time set in a different continuity than the aforementioned movie (and by extension, outside of the DC Super Hero Girls canon). As the title implies, the movie mostly focuses on Aquaman, but Jessica does receive a decent amount of screen-time as well as a neat story-arc. It's a pretty fun movie, as most LEGO movies are, and I I like the way they manage to spotlight different heroes each time, and how their journeys are presented. Jessica's voice was once again provided by Cristina Milizia, but her design is different here - a little more comics accurate, I guess would be the best explanation, for example in regards to her not wearing a mask anymore, but her eye-patch in the shape of a Green Lantern symbol.

zbK97gf.png

She's introduced as the new recruit in the Justice League, taking Hal Jordan's place (who was apparently on vacation and asked her to fill in for him). There are a few amusing scenes with her talking to her power ring (voiced by Grey Griffin), which is supervising her and awards her with "lantern points" based on how well her training goes. Given enough such points, Jessica could actually enable a "mute option" for the ring. I thought this was a pretty amusing addition to the movie, and gave Jessica someone (well, something) she can confide in. It's sort of similar to Blue Beetle talking to his Scarab, though I am not sure if anyone else could hear the power ring talking here. On another sort of related note, it's a little weird seeing Jessica as the new recruit in most of her animated appearances. I get that she's a relatively recent addition in the comics, but it does get a little dull seeing each continuity handle her as a newbie. Sort of reminiscent of how Cyborg was also used in a few animated projects over the years, but that seems to have changed in more recent times. The same could apply to Falcon, in most of the Marvel animated series he was featured in.

The story sees Ocean Master teaming up with Atrocitus, and using the Red Lantern's rage energy to control the inhabitants of Atlantis into turning against Aquaman and the other heroes. Jessica's ring, sensing the energy activated a shield around her and the other members of the Justice League to protect them. The heroes are ran out of the kingdom, but manage to use the Seagate - a device capable of teleporting them far away - to escape. Jessica however is left behind, due to her fearing where she might end up going through the portal. She instead has to defeat a rage-influenced Mera, and then escapes to the surface where she teams up with Batgirl and Robin (Damian) to fight off the invading Atlantean armies. There are a few neat action scenes here, and Jessica uses her powers rather well though she does get a few constructs mixed up (such as creating a fan instead of a fly swatter).

Her anxiety kicks in again when she realizes the entire world is watching her fight, and she runs away looking for more help. But once she understands there's no one else to turn to, she returns and uses her Green Lantern energy to break Mera and the others from under Atrocitus' control. She simply stopped thinking about herself, and just acted to save the others. As a bonus, she is now allowed to enable the "mute option" for her power ring, but decides not to use it since she has kind of gotten used to talking to it.

Meanwhile, the other heroes found themselves stranded on an alien planet where Atrocitus already stole all the water from. They realize that's his plan for Earth as well, and try to get back in time to stop him. There are a bunch of amusing bits in here - most of them concerning Aquaman, since he's the main character, basically. From him trying to communicate with a space dolphin, to him becoming a human divining rod and sensing where water can be found, or seeing a weakened Superman try and fight the Red Lanterns. The movie is fun, but I honestly cannot do it justice only by focusing on Jessica's scenes. Unlike the other LEGO movie I talked about before, Jessica's plot here is kind of separate from the main story of the movie, and as such I won't go into much details about the rest of the story. (I already talked more about this in my Aquaman in Animation Retrospective last year).

Once all the heroes return, Jessica joins them in attacking Atrocitus' water stealing device (the SLURP), and as expected, they manage to destroy it in time. All things considered, this was another enjoyable and entertaining movie. Aquaman was the star of the movie, and I did like how he was portrayed and how his story-line played out. Jessica's role was pretty good as well, but nothing too special. There's nothing really wrong with it, her characterization is fine and her arc gets a nice enough conclusion, but all of that is kind of over-shadowed by the rest of the stuff happening in the movie. Still, I did think it was kind of cool they found a way to include her into all this.

Next: Super Best Friends Forever!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
As mentioned briefly in the opening post, the DC Super Hero Girls franchise was recently rebooted into another TV series, this time with Lauren Faust as the show-runner. While it has the same title, as well as most of the same main characters, the new series uses a different art-style and tries covering some new ideas. The girls' real identities come into play a lot more often, as opposed to the previous web-series where it seemed like they were super-heroines all the time. There's a lot more humor, which works most of the time thanks in part to the more stylized character designs. There's some more touching or emotional stuff as well, occasionally. In a way, it is a full series based on Faust's previous project called the Super Best Friends Forever, a series of animated shorts that aired back in 2012 on the DC Nation programming block Cartoon Network had at the time. Those also featured Batgirl and Supergirl, but Wonder Girl (Donna Troy) was used instead of Diana. The voice actresses for this Trinity reprise their roles in the series as well, with Tara Strong, Nicole Sullivan and Grey DeLisle-Griffin.

The show also features Jessica Cruz - the character this retrospective is all about, in case you forgot. Here she's one of the main six characters and as such she appears more often. Her design looks pretty nice and does fit in nicely alongside the others. Her voice is now provided by Myrna Velasco. Notably, Jessica's personality was changed a bit for this show. She's more confident, as well as a pacifist usually refusing to fight others and instead finding other ways to save lives or protect herself. It might not be completely true to the character's comic book roots, but I think it works here. Jessica's usual lack of confidence seems to have been used for this show's version of Bumblebee, instead.

qUMJDNZ.png

A series of so-called "Super Shorts" is also released online as bonus material for the show. Sort of similar to how Justice League Action received its own series of online shorts, but I imagine more people would use the previous DCSHG series as a comparison. The shorts are fun, and sometimes do explain a bit more about the characters. The first one, "The Late Batsby" was initially released theatrically accompanying Teen Titans Go! to the Movies. It's also basically a remake of a short from the aforementioned Super Best Friends Forever series. Jessica appears in a few of these shorts, but given the rather limited running time there's not much to comment on. There are a few amusing bits in there, and the interactions between the girls are pretty entertaining for the most part. Though there are times, here and in the series proper as well, where the hyper-active Batgirl would get a little too annoying for me. As for Jessica, one of the shorts includes her and Diana staging an intervention for Babs who has become a pack-rat.

As of this writing, only a handful of episodes have premiered on the Cartoon Network and as a result there's not a whole lot to talk about. Jessica is present in most of the episodes, beginning with the series premiere, the 4-part story titled "#SweetJustice". The story begins with Barbara Gordon, who has just moved to Metropolis and a new school, where she tries finding friends (or more accurately a team). She recruits the main cast consisting of Jessica, Kara, Karen and Zatanna and are soon joined by Wonder Woman as well. The girls manage to form some kind of bond as they train together and teach Wonder Woman how to be a teenage girl (coming up with the Diana Prince identity). There are a bunch of neat scenes spread throughout, but for this topic I will try and focus mostly on the Green Lantern-related stuff. Jessica explains how she was chosen by the Power Ring, even though she doesn't want anything to do with it, trying to give it back to Hal Jordan. She shows off some of her skills with various constructs (much to Babs' amusement), creating a safe to keep the others well, safe during a training exercise, confronting some Amazons who came to take Diana back to their island, or going up against an army of robots controlled by Lena Luthor.

Jessica does get to be in the spotlight in the episode titled "#HateTriangle". From the start, we see her training with Hal and Kilowog and her pacifist nature disappoints the latter. She manages to succeed by constructing either shields to protect from Kilowog's hammer, a squid to distract him and then a carpet she literally pulls from under him. It's a fun and pretty creative use of her powers and stays in line with her "There's always another way" method of thinking, when it comes to fighting. Though she does slap Hal a couple of times, for some of the dumb things he does or says.

Hal's personality has also been changed a little. He attends the same high-school as the girls, and he mostly acts as a stereotypical jock type of character. It's a little weird, but it does lead to some pretty amusing situations. Especially in regards to his interactions with Jessica. In this episode, he's scared of his crazy ex-girlfriend, Carol Ferris a.k.a. Star Sapphire (voiced by Kari Wahlgren) who attacks the school looking for him. He's too scared to even transform into Green Lantern, so it's up to Jessica to find a way to save the day. She tries making Hal unattractive (by borrowing Garth's - presumably Aqualad? - look), which is a fun gag but it doesn't last long.

Carol also believes she has to take out Jessica, thinking she's the only thing standing between her and Hal. This mostly annoys Jessica who vehemently states there's no way she and Hal would be together. There are a few neat scenes with Jessica going up against Carol, though it's mostly her constructing shields and stuff to protect herself and the others from the attacks. She still refuses to fight, so in order to stop Carol, she uses her pacifist methods and instead of hitting her, she simply restrains her and then comforts her explaining Hal doesn't love her. She also bad-mouths Hal a little, despite his complaints. It's a pretty well done scene and the pay-off is also handled well, with Carol leaving but vowing to return and make Hal good enough to be with her, possibly foreshadowing future events.

All in all, it's a pretty good showcase for Jessica. It's cool she received her own story so early in the show, so I could add this short commentary on her appearance here. As mentioned before, I don't really mind them changing up her personality from the comics. On the other hand, the changes made to Hal don't make him all that appealing. He does get a few neat and amusing bits in there, but I imagine some fans of the character might not enjoy too much this take on the character. But who knows, he might be developed a lot more as the show goes on. Though I imagine Jessica would still get a bit more development, or at the very least more screen-time, considering she's one of the main characters. I am interested in seeing more from the show, and hope it won't disappoint.

Next: Limelight!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
And that brings us to the movie that prompted me to start this retrospective in the first place, Justice League vs. the Fatal Five. The movie was released digitally last month, and made its home-media debut a couple of weeks ago. Seeing as it's a pretty recent movie, there might be a chance not all reading this had a chance of watching it yet, so please note this article will contain some spoilers. The movie also brought back most of the designs from the aforementioned Justice League Unlimited animated series, and there are a few callbacks to the DCAU as a whole. But there are a few contradictions or errors. The staff behind the movie does consider it to be in-continuity with the older series, but I won't dwell too much on any possible continuity issues that may exist here.

Jessica here was voiced by Diane Guerrero and was one of the main characters of the story. This is also probably the most comics accurate portrayal of the character, showing most of her anxieties and other problems she suffers from. They don't really shy away from anything, and all of it is handled in a respectful manner. The same can be said about Thomas Kallor a.k.a. Star Boy (voiced by Elyes Gabel), member of the Legion of Super-Heroes who traveled back in time to the present, in an attempt to stop the Fatal Five. He also suffers from some form of mental illness, and again, it's handled well and shows how tragic it can be.

From the beginning, we see Jessica trying to cope with some of her issues. She's still traumatized from seeing her friends murdered in front of her, by some killers they happened to come across in the woods. She survived but is still terrified and is usually afraid even of stepping outside her house. She visits a psychiatrist, but that doesn't really help all that much. To add to all this, she was also chosen as the new Green Lantern of Earth, which only puts even more pressure on her. She does use the Power Ring a couple of times when necessary, but refuses to join the Justice League. There is a pretty cool scene where Wonder Woman once again invites her to join the League, and the two even have a short sparring session with Diana trying to prove to Jessica she is ready.

23.jpg

The Fatal Five (or rather Three, since Emerald Empress and Validus are missing for now) arrive and attack the city (you can check out their own retrospective here, if you're interested), looking for the mysterious "Limelight". Jessica tries confronting them does a decent enough job until Star Boy and the rest of the Justice League come in to help. The villains still manage to escape, though. Star Boy explains how Jessica is the "Limelight", and talks more about her bright and shiny future as a hero. Jessica forms a bond and close friendship with Thomas, which is a neat development but as one might expect, things will get more tragic from here until the end.

Thanks to Miss Martian, we see inside Star Boy's mind and via a memory flashback we learn how the Legion fought the Fatal Five and managed to capture Emerald Empress and Validus. They were imprisoned on Oa, the headquarters of the Green Lantern Corps. Thus explaining the villains' need of the present day Green Lantern, who could provide them with access to the planet and freeing their team-mates. Jessica is also surprised to see statues of Earth's Green Lanterns in Thomas' memory, and sees herself as one of the Corps' legendary members.

Jessica is forced to surrender to the villains when they set up multiple bombs across the city. She takes them to Oa, but manages to trick the villains and alert the other Lanterns present there. There are a couple of neat action scenes, but the Lanterns are over-powered once Emerald Empress is freed. Jessica gets her Power Rings sliced off by Persuader's axe (in a scene reminiscent of what happened to John Stewart on Justice League). She does manage to muster up enough will power to put the ring back together, save the other injured Lanterns and make it back to Earth.

Now powered up (she even gains that eye-patch in the shape of a Lantern symbol!), and more confident as well, Jessica confronts the Fatal Five and manages to defeat them rather easily. There are a few cool action scenes in there, but the battle ends rather abruptly once Jessica causes a mountain to fall on top of the villains. But the day isn't saved yet, as the villains set their plan to destroy Earth's Sun in motion. Jessica, Star Boy and Superman try to prevent this, but Thomas is the one who saves everyone, by sacrificing himself. He was a super-hero, after all. Jessica is heart-broken about all this, and realizes how much Thomas believed in her. She now has more confidence in herself and is probably ready to start her career as a Green Lantern. Other members of the Legion of Super-Heroes travel back in time to attend Star Boy's funeral, and are honored to meet the legendary Jessica Cruz.

32.jpg

Overall, the movie was great. The story is engaging, the characters are entertaining and the major players have some good, dramatic arcs. The DCAU designs and voice actors are just the icing on the cake, at least for me. I think the story could have offered the same action, comedy and drama, even using different looks and voices for the characters. Hopefully this won't be the end for these versions of the characters. Even if it's not exactly set in the DCAU, as long as the movies are this good, and they keep using these designs, would be enough for me.

As for Jessica, she was handled fine here. As I said before, this portrayal was probably the most faithful to the comics, compared to her previous animated appearances. To be fair, some of her issues and back-story wouldn't have fit in too well in the other cartoons she appeared in, considering they were aimed at younger audiences. I liked how they used her in this story, and it was cool seeing her in a more prominent role. I am not sure what the future holds for Jessica Cruz, but I think she's bound to appear in animation soon. Apart from the currently running DCSHG TV series, that is. A follow-up film to Justice League vs. the Fatal Five would be nice, but at the same time I would rather have other characters appear alongside the DCAU Trinity, if more such movies were in the works.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts