"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Time to Face the Music

GuardiansOfTheGalaxyVol3.jpg
Theatrical Release Date: May 5, 2023
Home Entertainment Release Date: July 7, 2023 (Digital) and August 1, 2023 (4K/Blu-ray)
Disney+ Streaming Date: August 2, 2023

Written and Directed by: James Gunn
Cast: Chris Pratt, Bradley Cooper, Pom Klementieff, Dave Bautisa, Karen Gillan, Vin Diesel, Maria Bakalova, Sean Gunn, Sylvester Stallone, Tara Strong, Michael Rosenbaum, Zoe Saldana, Dee Bradley Baker, Jennifer Holland, Judy Greer, Mikaela Hoover, Asum Chaudhry, Linda Cardellini, Elizabeth Debicki, Will Poulter, Chukwudi Iwuji
Rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of violence and action, strong language, suggestive/drug references and thematic elements)
Runtime: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Our beloved band of misfits are looking a bit different these days. Peter Quill, still reeling from the loss of Gamora, must rally his team around him to defend the universe along with protecting one of their own. A mission that, if not completed successfully, could quite possibly lead to the end of the Guardians as we know them.

Official Links:
-Official website
-Instagram

Related Links:
-Guardians of the Galaxy Talkback
-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Talkback
-Avengers: Infinity War Talkback
-Avengers: Endgame Talkback
-Thor: Love and Thunder Talkback
-I Am Groot Season 1 Talkback
-Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special Talkback
-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 News & Discussion; Part 1 and Part 2

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3

That was great. And as such, I feel like perhaps it's been... mislabeled? Misdiagnosed? A critic's blurb I heard advertising the film said it was the best Marvel movie since Endgame.

And you know what? No. Don't compare the two. That sets unreasonable standards for this film. It's purely enjoyable. For Marvel movies' quality tier it's basically Endgame, and then everything else. Not everything has to be Endgame to have value. This was nowhere NEAR as great as Endgame and I still thought it was awesome.

What kills me is I think perhaps the movie is getting a bit overpraised simply because enjoyable Marvel movies have become so rare. They used to be common, but the only other Marvel film since Endgame I truly liked was the last Spider-Man film, and that one had a garbage ending. There is something to be said for James Gunn always ending the Guardians movies on a nice point instead of a gutwrenching funeral. That's sort of why I resisted the games Infinity War and Endgame were playing with Gamora. It was outside of the franchise and I can't imagine James Gunn was happy either.

Despite Peter and Gamora not ending up together at the end, the tag insisting Starlord WILL return means their story isn't necessarily over either.

Peter going home to his grandfather was the right ending. And I saw the Kevin Bacon newpaper headline in the tag. I see what the movie did there.

It was interesting to center the main drama of the movie around Rocket. I love that he learned he IS a raccoon and embraced it as the part of his name by the end. I thought the flashbacks were brutal. Honestly, a little TOO brutal. I'm thinking the dude from Black Widow might have been more loathsome than the High Evolutionary when all is said and done. But he actually might not be.

I think the thing I hate most about the High Evolutionary is a problem all loathsome villains tend to have, and is something I strive to stay away from in my writing, no matter how loathsome the villain is. He does irrational, cruel, scummy crap simply to demonstrate to the audience what an evil bastard he is. Like basically arming Rocket to go out and escape and later empowering his friends to destroy everything he ever wanted. If he had simply let Rocket and his three animal friends live on that nice planet, none of this would have happened. Hell, he probably could have done the genocide he planned in this movie with zero problems then. Him rubbing his face into Rocket over what a bastard he is just created extra problems that don't occur for rational, diplomatic villains. And I don't like it when hubris and buttmunchery is the villain's actual undoing. I believe that ought to be the hero. Exceptions can be made here and there, but I'm tired of villains having no redeeming virtues simply so they will be easier for the heroes to beat.

I also don't like the genocide in the film. I think it was treated too lightly.

First f-bomb in the MCU which shocked me a bit. But really, it's not the f-bomb. I thought the entire last fight scene on the station was super gory. And if the MPAA was NOT so unfathomably corrupt it would have handed the film an R rating for it. It totally deserved it for that. MPAA ratings are entirely unhelpful and bogus for the soul reason that money must change hands. If an Indie film did a scene with a similar level of gore, it would get an R, no question. It's only because of Disney's deep pockets that this movie gets the rating it needs to maximize ticket sales, and that it doesn't actually deserve.

I mentioned in my review for The Guardians Of The Galaxy Holiday Special that Mantis has weirdly stolen the show, and yeah, her stuff with Drax is indeed a highlight. I also love that Nebula has become more ethical and grounded than Gamora is. What's great is Nebula insisting that this was their dynamic growing up. And that sounds true based on what we saw here, so it will probably make me see their dynamic in the first movie in a different light when I see it again.

Cosmo is a good dog. Kraglin isn't fooling anyone.

Howard the Duck again. He needs a new movie. Where are you, Lea Thompson?

I seem to recall complaining about Nick Fury kissing a Skrull in the Secret Invasion finale, and yeah, Rocket kissing a cyborg otter looks similarly ridiculous. The bad thing is I WAS actually invested in their relationship. I just didn't really see the point or value in suggesting it was actually a romance.

If you ask me Mantis has the most useful superpowers of anyone in the MCU. They aren't powers I'D want if I could pick them, but if I were setting a Marvel team roster, she'd be my first pick.

It broke my heart that Drax was hurt that she thought he was stupid. And he IS stupid. And she made him forget. Another reason her powers are so damn useful.

I thought it was great, and I think people comparing it to Endgame were doing this movie a disservice. Not every Marvel movie needs to be Endgame. And if fans think they all should be, I think fans are giving producers a bad note there. I will take a movie this great quite happily. Endgame should NOT be the bar. That's not reasonable. *****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Great ending for this iteration of the Guardians.

Peter decided to go learn to swim and took time off to work on himself. Glad he finally reunited with his grandpa. The lawn moving convo during breakfast, lol.

Also glad they didn't make Peter and 2014-Gamora hook up and she found her own family and place among the Ravagers.

Brutal, heartbreaking, mind-numbingly depressing origin story for Rocket. Trying to perfect the universe? High Evolutionary was a well-created MCU villain. Completely egotistical - couldn't handle the little monster he made solved the problem he couldn't. Completely genocidal - who knows how many colonies like Counter-Earth he blew up. Behind the faux nobility about creating perfection, just a selfish psychopath with a god complex. Such a monster. Did Rocket tear up his face or just reveal what he looked like on the inside all along? His comeuppance was perfect. Of course Rocket had kept a counter to his gravity powers all along then the whole team whupping him was perfect. Yet, unlike Ego or Ronan, they spared his life. Seemed like they left him to die on his ship but that deleted scene showed they are keeping him in prison on Knowhere. I guess that's better justice, letting him rot with a life sentence.

Interesting connection he created the Sovereign and they were likely a precursor to the Star Children. As in the epilogue, you can see ever so briefly when the new Guardians ready to face the beasts, Phyla exhibits what looks like the same energy manipulation powers Adam has. Was surprised he created the Xeronians. While minor, there was one in Collector's collection and some living on Xandar in Vol.1. Ani-Men was a neat name drop, only recognized the name because I read the 90s Scarlet Spider comics. But wow, Gunn got in Phyla after all. But of course, not how we thought. As a prodigal child.

Gonna miss the chemistry this team had. Mantis having Drax deliver the pond analogy to Peter, lol. Nebula starting to show more and more empathy and ethics but still cranky. Drax knowing the Orbose language all along. Mantis taming the Abilisks. Cosmo was awesome. Kraglin, omg. Failing to use the arrow on Adam and hiding but then having his moment after seeing Yondu and taking out the Hellspawn. Always cool seeing Howard. Surprised that broker from Xandar in Vol. 1 made it out alive o.s. after Thanos destroyed that planet. Interesting little mention that Stakar united several clans of Ravagers into one.

Some of the new guest stars caught me off guard. Didn't dawn on me until Peter tackled the recorder out of the ship that guy was Nico Santos from Superstore. Or Judy Greer voiced the War Pig! Wow. Molly Quinn was one of the United Ravagers. Tiffany Smith was one of those employees at Orgocorp. Glad I didn't noticed them as I watched the movie. Lot of guest star cameos. Would have been distracting. I think even Pete Davidson is in there somewhere.

The Legendary Star-Lord will return? Hope it's not a D+ series, lol.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts