Its been 15 years since Fox Kids went defunct

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

AnimaniacNutso

Sep 4, 2017
Ratings
450 1
Fox Kids is one of my favorite blocks that has ever existed. The block was before my time, but I got to watch several of the programs (mostly the ones that were part of the lineup during the 92, 93, and 94 fall season), thanks to stuff like the Internet, The Hub, and DVDs. Its been 15 years since this block went defunct. It had a really good run, though I feel that in its later years it started to decline by focusing a lot on Digimon and Power Rangers and shows like those and getting rid of shows quickly like Spidey Unlimited and Big Guy (they brought them back later on though). During its golden years though, it was the place to be cause "Everything was Happening on Fox". It had some of my all time favorite 90s cartoons like Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series, The Tick, Eek! The Cat, Looney Tunes reruns, and X-Men. It felt like the 90s version of The Hub at times also bringing a wide variety of programs. You had action shows, cheesy action shows, wacky comedys, variety comedys, superhero comedys, slice of life shows, educational shows, etc. The bumpers and promos were also great, from the alien bumpers to the samurai bumpers, as well as promotions like Fox Kids is what? Fox Kids is Cool!. While there were some weak programs in there (Super Dave anyone?), the best years of Fox Kids were an awesome treat, especially to those without cable, like my dad. He watched Fox Kids on Weekday Afternoons for shows like Tiny Toons, Power Rangers, Batman, and Animaniacs. Overall, it was a great lineup.

Now I don't normally do this, but there's actually a really well detailed, informative, and constructive video that not only tells the history of Fox Kids but also gives a review of them and he gives them a fair review. Here it is

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
937 16
Springfield, MO
R.I.P Fox Kids: 1990 to 2002. They single-handily saved Saturday Morning and Weekday Afternoon cartoons from the abyss we had fallen into around 1990, when we had to suffer through stuff like "Captain N the Game Master", "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show", "Captain Planet", and "The New Adventures of He-Man"...though the initial Fox Kids line-up in 1990 wasn't the best either, with stuff like "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". Thankfully, Fox Kids had established it's dominance by 1992.

It still feels like the cancellation of the Fox Kids block in 2002 was way too abrupt and unexpected, considering it was king of the 90's Saturday Mornings. Yes, by 2000 onward, "Kids WB" was king in the ratings, but I thought they had a healthy rivalry. "Digimon" was a solid rival to "Pokemon" in those final 2 or 3 years. Every other program Fox Kids picked up, in those last couple of years, failed though...

Last edited:

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,301 36
Austin, Texas
For what do remember watching I did like watching Digimon on this block, honestly the fall of this block would lead a domino effect for the other Sat Morning blocks.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
937 16
Springfield, MO
For what do remember watching I did like watching Digimon on this block, honestly the fall of this block would lead a domino effect for the other Sat Morning blocks.
Hmm. Well, arguably, the end of NBC's Saturday morning block back in 1992 was what set off the dominoes...

But yeah, "Fox Kids" being sold to Disney ended up having a chain effect: Disney ended it's "One Disney Morning" block in 2002, as part of the revamp of it's networks (from 2002 onward, till the end in 2011, ABC on Saturday mornings was basically airing reruns of what aired previously on Disney's cable channel). The sale of Fox Kids to Disney ended up creating "Jetix" (which altered the "Toon Disney" channel). But I liked "Jetix", so there's that...

When the subsequent programming block ("Fox Box" aka "4Kids TV") failed, 4Kids basically jumped ship and took over Kids WB (which became "The CW 4 Kids"). So yeah, it was kind of a dominoes effect...

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I remember being so surprised when Fox Kids didn't have their own afternoon block anymore. It would start before I could get home from school, but it was still something I'd check out for Digimon reruns from time to time. Considering how long Kids' WB lasted, I'm kind of surprised that Fox Kids ended when it did. Saturday morning blocks were already becoming more out dated by that point, but Fox Kids probably could have lasted another couple of years or so if things had turned out differently.

Oct 23, 2014
Ratings
320 5
I've said this multiple times before, but what Fox Kids needed to combat Kids' WB! was, not more Anime, but more in-house productions. Specifically, Fox needed an in-house TV animation unit that it's networks could feed off of, like Warner Bros. has. It may not have been able to reach the highs of WBA, but it could've at least guaranteed a longer life for Fox Kids Network and Fox Family Channel. They should've also never merged with Saban Entertainment. As much as Power Rangers was a huge success for the network, the Saban Merger caused Fox Kids to over rely on them, and as a result loose their grip on the market.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
937 16
Springfield, MO
I've said this multiple times before, but what Fox Kids needed to combat Kids' WB! was, not more Anime, but more in-house productions. Specifically, Fox needed an in-house TV animation unit that it's networks could feed off of, like Warner Bros. has. It may not have been able to reach the highs of WBA, but it could've at least guaranteed a longer life for Fox Kids Network and Fox Family Channel. They should've also never merged with Saban Entertainment. As much as Power Rangers was a huge success for the network, the Saban Merger caused Fox Kids to over rely on them, and as a result loose their grip on the market.
Yeah, but the ties to Power Rangers went all the way back to 1993, when they aired the first Power Rangers season. When I "rediscovered" Saturday mornings around 1998/1999, I was surprised to find Power Rangers still on the air. Even after Fox Kids was cancelled, the show continued on "Jetix" (which is kind of the sequel to "Fox Kids"). It seems Power Rangers and Fox Kids were always meant to go together, hand in hand.

Considering how long Kids' WB lasted, I'm kind of surprised that Fox Kids ended when it did. Saturday morning blocks were already becoming more out dated by that point, but Fox Kids probably could have lasted another couple of years or so if things had turned out differently.
Well, both lasted 12 to 13 years. Fox Kids from 1990 to 2002, Kids WB from 1995 to 2008 (though the last couple of years were kind of "meh")...

"Kids WB" had it's network ("The WB") come to an end though, Fox Kids...just up and died.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Well, both lasted 12 to 13 years. Fox Kids from 1990 to 2002, Kids WB from 1995 to 2008 (though the last couple of years were kind of "meh")...

"Kids WB" had it's network ("The WB") come to an end though, Fox Kids...just up and died.
Oh, I thought that Fox Kids started in the mid-90's for some reason, or at least not in 1990.

Mar 31, 2002
Ratings
In my own little world
Visit site
Hello everyone. This is Toonamp. First, thanks for the shoutout on my video. Second, I'm looking through the comments am I wanted to clear some things up with some of the things I found in my research when it came to the fall of Fox Kids. We tend to give Kids WB and Toonami way more credit than they deserve when it comes to what happened to it. The downfall actually started in the fall of 97 when ABCs One Saturday Morning started. Both Fox Kids and Kids WB struggled against that block. You also have to remember Kids WB didn't find their audience until Pokemon started airing on the block in winter of 99. Both blocks had a terrible 1998, especially Kids WB who cancelled Invasion America, Brats of the Lost Nebula and combined the leftovers of Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain, Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, with old episodes of Animaniacs and Looney Tune Shorts to make the Big Cartoonie Show for an hour and a half. If you want to read what really happened to Fox, I would give this a read. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/05/10/the-influencer You'll be surprised how it was less about Fox Kids and more about Fox Family and other things.

By the way. Am I the only one who noticed that Saban has given up of Digimon. No mention of the show on their website and didn't go into the third season of Fusion. They are also not the ones dubbing Digimon Adventure Tri, with is something I am grateful for since that is not a typical Saban type of anime.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Jun 28, 2007
Ratings
640 11
Earth Two
Oh, I thought that Fox Kids started in the mid-90's for some reason, or at least not in 1990.
It's easy to be confused about when they started, since Fox Kids didn't have anything that made it after their first year sans Bobby's World, and reruns of shows that they owned. Most people would either remember the era where Batman, X-Men, Power Rangers, The Tick, Animaniacs, Spider-Man and Eek! Stravaganza roamed the TV screens, or the later era where Digimon, the newest Power Rangers incarnation, and other anime were on to be overshadowed by Pokemon and Kids' WB.

Last edited:
It's been 12 years (coming up to 13 years) since Fox Kids closed here, Fox Kids Europe was a separate entity to the Fox Kids block in the US but with the same owners and some smaller shareholders owning a piece. FKE was mostly owned by Disney by 2002, when Fox/Saban sold the channel, Disney (i.e. FKE) had brand licensing permission from 20th Century Fox. From 2005, the channel used a more neutral branding - "Jetix" carrying on from the legacy Fox Kids left, and when Disney finally brought all the shares in Jetix Europe, the channel became Disney XD which quickly morphed into its own identity with little trace of its origins.

The Fox Kids name is currently used on the Finland version of FOX for their children's programming block, although the block is different compared to what Fox Kids used to air, it's nice to know that Fox hasn't forgotten about the channel. They even used the old logo during the early days of the block.

http://kids.foxplay.fi/

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
937 16
Springfield, MO
It's easy to be confused about when they started, since Fox Kids didn't have anything that made it after their first year sans Bobby's World, and reruns of shows that they owned. Most people would either remember the era where Batman, X-Men, Power Rangers, The Tick, Animaniacs, Spider-Man and Eek! Stravaganza roamed the TV screens, or the later era where Digimon, the newest Power Rangers incarnation, and other anime.
Yeah, there were different eras of Fox Kids. I wrote about this some more in a similar thread, but I think I'll revise the eras here:

1990 and 1991: Fox Kids' Stone Age
1992-1997: Fox Kids Golden Age.
1997-2002: Fox Kids Silver Age
2002-2008: "Fox Kids" (now called "Fox Box") Bronze Age

There were things to love in both the Golden and Silver ages, but the transition between the two period was pretty rough. This was after they lost the rights to Batman: The Animated Series and the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons ended. They were stuck with the "Godzilla" cartoon (based upon the crappy '97 movie), "Ninja Turtles: the Next Mutation", "The Adventures of Sam and Max", and live-action Goosebumps and reruns of "Magic School Bus"...just a weird period. Up until Digimon premiered in the Fall of 1999.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Jun 28, 2007
Ratings
640 11
Earth Two
Yeah, there were different eras of Fox Kids. I wrote about this some more in a similar thread, but I think I'll revise the eras here:

1990 and 1991: Fox Kids' Stone Age
1992-1997: Fox Kids Golden Age.
1997-2002: Fox Kids Silver Age
2002-2008: "Fox Kids" (now called "Fox Box") Bronze Age

There were things to love in both the Golden and Silver ages, but the transition between the two period was pretty rough. This was after they lost the rights to Batman: The Animated Series and the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons ended. They were stuck with the "Godzilla" cartoon (based upon the crappy '97 movie), "Ninja Turtles: the Next Mutation", "The Adventures of Sam and Max", and live-action Goosebumps and reruns of "Magic School Bus"...just a weird period. Up until Digimon premiered in the Fall of 1999.
Especially with the merger of Fox Kids and Saban by 1996, and Kids' WB! starting up with taking all of the WB Animation shows off once the deals were expired, it was apparent that it wasn't going to work at all. Margaret Loesch was gone in 1997, the popular shows that occupied the network left most likely because of the budget cuts from the merger (The Tick was barely brought back for one more season, X-Men only had five more episodes added to their order and got stretched out to Fall 97' with Spider-Man was gone just right after along with Life With Louie and Bobby's World, and Eek was killed off for months to be burnt off during the Summer). Fall 1997-98 was essentially a "Make or Break" season since the CTA was in effect, and when Pokemon came around it was pretty much one of the smoking guns of the downfall.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
By the way. Am I the only one who noticed that Saban has given up of Digimon. No mention of the show on their website and didn't go into the third season of Fusion. They are also not the ones dubbing Digimon Adventure Tri, with is something I am grateful for since that is not a typical Saban type of anime.
Yeah, they seemed to have lost interest in the franchise completely. They might have been expecting/hoping for another success with one of their old properties like what happened when they got Power Rangers back. Digimon Fusion being stuck on Nicktoons didn't help matters and I don't think that Digimon toys sold particularly well. It's probably for the best. While most fans like the Digimon dubs, throwing in bad jokes and dialogue feels pretty outdated. Not to mention it really wouldn't have worked for Adventure Tri's dubs either.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
937 16
Springfield, MO
Now I don't normally do this, but there's actually a really well detailed, informative, and constructive video that not only tells the history of Fox Kids but also gives a review of them and he gives them a fair review. Here it is

I'm going through and watching these videos, and they're pretty informative.

There's a throwaway line near the start of this 1st video which I've been thinking about, and I think it's very informative about kids of those years:

"They were not Generation X'ers, or Millennials, they were Generation Fox Kids"

Good quote and probably fairly accurate. If you were born in the early 80's or late 70's (as I was) and if you enjoyed the "Golden Age" years of Fox Kids (from 1990-1995), you didn't fit neatly in with the Generation X group of kids - the ones who grew up playing in the arcades of the late 70's/early 80's, and who grew up on 70's Hanna Barbera or early to mid-80's toy cartoons like He-Man/G.I. Joe.

But you also didn't quite fit in with the Millennials - the Kids WB and Fox Kids of the late 90's was more the childhood experience of your classic "Millennial" - along with the Cartoon Network of the early 00's.

I think this sentiment applies to kids born from 1977 to 1983 (roughly) - we were the generation who had the classic "Fox Kids" as a part of our childhood. Just to give context on our childhoods - with "The Smurfs" and the mid to late 80's toy shows (Transformers, Thundercats) fading away into the past, the only other phenomenon our generation was into (besides all the Fox Kids shows) was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That show started in the late 80's, but it was huge throughout the early 90's.

That video got me reminiscing, so this was just me giving some commentary on a generation of kids...

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,741 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
A lot of the shows that were on Fox Kids, I watched on other networks while overseas. There was a brief time I did watch it for Power Rangers but I stopped when i noticed how repetitive it was.
Once Digimon started heading into its second season did I get back into it, but it was pretty much the only show on it I watched. Except maybe Flint the Time Detective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Yeah... I just watched the end of Peepoodo... And I wish I hadn't. If I'm considered a wuss for liking Milo Murphy's Law. Big City Greens, Summer Camp Island, Clarence, Craig of the Creek, Hilda, Harvey Beaks, Harvey Street Kids and even The Loud House - not to mention LPS (2012, 2018) SO MUCH MORE because at least those shows have some constraint to not be this gross - then I could care less what you think of me.
Yeah I'm probably not coming back
I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)