Is Winnie the Pooh not that popular anymore?

Dr.Pepper

It just occurred to that I see far less Winnie the Pooh toys, books, clothes, etc than was in the ‘90’s/2000s when I was growing up. Was there just a glut of Pooh merchandise because of The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh? Did the failure of 2011’s Winnie the Pooh cause people to loose interest? Any thoughts?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Yeah you might be right. Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse, Scooby-Doo and Looney Tunes used to be the "basic" merchandise at stores. Now it's rather Frozen, Minions and Marvel.

Last edited:

TsWade2

Mickey Mouse is still popular, but I'm not sure I can say the same thing for Winnie the Pooh.

Low Spark of Lyman

I never studied law
The 2011 film got good reviews from critics, and $50.1 million over a $30 million budget.

Nevertheless, that didn't seem to help with continuing hand-drawn films for Disney. And, apparently, keeping Winnie the Pooh active.

SweetShop209

That's basically the amount of money most Pooh movies get. Most of them don't fail financially, but they never really make significant profit. Like, if the movie made like 150 million dollars, then that might be something.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Clearly this is because of his ban in China.

In all seriousness it's probably just because there has been nothing on the tv side in over a decade, Disney Channel reran the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh until at least 2004 from what I remember, and My Friends Tigger and Pooh ended over a decade ago, and I always felt that Kickass kind of made Disney want to sweep that show under the rug.

Last edited:

JMTV

It kinda does seem like it. I remember back in the mid-late 2000's, Pooh was still popular. Not Mickey levels of popular, but popular for the very very young demographic.

Later on into the 2010's, Pooh's popularity was starting out to fizzled out since people were moving on to the next thing like Frozen and The Minions.

The 2011 film got good reviews from critics, and $50.1 million over a $30 million budget.

Nevertheless, that didn't seem to help with continuing hand-drawn films for Disney. And, apparently, keeping Winnie the Pooh active.
Let's not forget that Winnie the Pooh 2011 came out right around the same as Harry Potter Deathly Hollows Part 2 and it did hurt the former's performance really badly.

Just be glad that Christopher Robin 2018 didn't came out right around the same time as Fantastic Beasts 2.

Markus Nelis

It isn't popular anymore thanks to new franchises from shows and movies and their toy merchandise in stores. One thing can't stay relevant forever and that goes to Winnie the Pooh as well.

TsWade2

I totally remember that. I was so upset that it didn't do well on the box office. Thankfully, it's not Harry Potter's fault. They pick that date first before Disney did. So, I'm afraid the real fault for this is Disney. Sad, but true.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

I totally remember that. I was so upset that it didn't do well on the box office. Thankfully, it's not Harry Potter's fault. They pick that date first before Disney did. So, I'm afraid the real fault for this and the end of hand drawn animation is Disney. Sad, but true.
Just because Winnie the Pooh is to this day, Disney's last traditionally animated theatrical film doesn't mean they won't return to doing so.

TsWade2

Just because Winnie the Pooh is to this day, Disney's last traditionally animated theatrical film doesn't mean they won't return to doing so.
I didn’t say that. Even though what you say is sad, but true, but I think they’re bringing back hand drawn animation, but probably only for DisneyPlus.

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

For me, Winnie the Pooh is still popular. Problem is, it's basically a character for little kids, and nowadays there are too much competition on that field. One example is the Paw Patrol. But I still love that silly old bear.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I don't think the 2011 movie was popular in Portugal. I belive my school friends back then didn't watch it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm currently working on a multisource Sparta "no BGM" remix. Once it is done, it will be posted here. :)
Here's my article on the final Amphibia episodes, as well as my own contribution for Asian American And Pacific Islander Heritage Month.

Asa
A Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers marathon is on Disney XD to promote the Disney+ movie.
''Whoever filmed the live-action Powerpuff pilot in Atlanta'' thought the dub of Powerpuff Girls Z was done in that city. It was done in Vancouver and it would make sense if the live-action Powerpuff show gets shot in that Canadian city. Your opinions on my comment?

So Charlotte Fullerton is working on something for Damage Control at Marvel Comics. I think that's fitting.

Featured Posts