Is The Loud House a flash in the pan hit, or the next SpongeBob SquarePants?

HunterMon17

Only time will tell the correct answer, but right now anything could happen.

Rugrats and The Fairly OddParents ran for well over a decade and were at this same level of popularity for a long time, but now they've essentially just faded away. They were what you call a flash in the pan hit.

Will The Loud House suffer the same fate, or keep running and being popular indefinitely like SpongeBob?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The show is still popular, but I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of ending. Unlike Spongebob, which runs on negative continuity, The Loud House is more willing to call back and build off of past episodes. Even after it ends, it'll still be popular.

JTZ

Rugrats and The Fairly OddParents ran for well over a decade and were at this same level of popularity for a long time, but now they've essentially just faded away. They were what you call a flash in the pan hit.

I'm not too familiar with the term, but I'd say flash in a pan refers more to short-lived hypes and popularity, trends that appear and disappear within one or two years. FOP and Rugrats are definitely more than that, and I'd say TLH will probably be similarly popular.

Spongebob is a phenomenom that will probably never truly fade from pop-culture, like Mickey Mouse and Simpsons. That level of popularity will never be reached by TLH.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
It won't be the next Spongebob, nor should it try to be, ever.
It just needs to focus on getting better with every new passing episode, which it has for the most part (even if there are still plenty of weaksauce/crappy-tasting episodes that are coming out or already came out, IMHO.).

Last edited:

Asa

As of right now, it's still one of Nickelodeon's highest rated shows, next to SpongeBob.

But then in a few years, it could likely end up on the heels of Rugrats, Hey Arnold, TMNT 2012, and FOP as it turns into a flash-in-the-pan type series.

LinusFan303

Squeak
I don't think Rugrats or Fop were flash in the pan, FOP ended when it was popular then they brought back the show and ran it into the ground to make it less appealing. ( I still love the early seasons) Rugrats (my all time favorite Nicktoon) same thing, where they could have ended it on top as popular , but ran it into the ground. I do think the shows still have some love but there's nothing new to talk about them since they ended.

My worry for the Loud House, is that Nick will try to drain every thing out of it and to run it longer than it really should. Personally, I think 5 seasons would be a good amount total.

Spongebob is strangely the only show Nick has run like crazy and hasn't really faded in popularity.

I think it’ll be remembered on the same level as Rugrats or FOP but I wouldn’t call any of those flashes in the pan. Spongebob is just iconic and is a step above anything else Nick has ever made (and most things anyone else has ever made) in terms of lasting popularity.

Zanneck

I've never even seen The Loud House.

I recommend starting at Season 2 if you must even begin at all, as that's where it actually shows signs of being above average to good, IMHO. Otherwise, it's pretty dang mediocre overall and you're really not missing that much, honestly.

Last edited:

Zanneck

I'm not interested in the show at all.

I don't blame you and whether you agree with me or not, Nickelodeon has done so much better (at least IMHO):
* Glitch Techs

* Welcome to the Wayne

* It's Pony!

* Harvey Beaks

* Just about any 90s - early 00s Nicktoon (that isn't Spongebob, Ren & Stimpy, just about anything Butch Hartman, or MLAATR since I'm personally not a fan of any of those.), honestly.

Mr.O

I don't blame you and whether you agree with me or not, Nickelodeon has done so much better (at least IMHO):
* Glitch Techs

* Welcome to the Wayne

* It's Pony!

* Harvey Beaks

* Just about any 90s - early 00s Nicktoon (that isn't Spongebob, Ren & Stimpy, just about anything Butch Hartman, or MLAATR since I'm personally not a fan of any of those.), honestly.
And I thought I was the only person to enjoy It's Pony more than TLH. I think it has more potential to be the type of show I would watch, personally. But I do kinda get why more people enjoy TLH.

To the OP: I don't think any of these are considered "flash in the pan." That term implies something that burns really bright and fades to nothing quickly. This is more akin to, say Frozen, Zootopia, or maybe Avatar (James Cameron). Films that were the biggest thing since sliced bread when they were new, only to fade to nothing after a year or so as far as media buzz and word of mouth. I can't really recall a western TV cartoon to do this. Usually if a cartoon becomes super popular the network holds on to it for a while. Plus it's hard for a cartoon to stand out and get really popular to begin with.

The closest thing I can think of right now is Netflix's She-Ra. It was all over animation news during that dumb costume "controversy." It even had quite a few big artist in the industry drawing fanart to support the show. All of this only to not really be talked about again when the show actually aired. But I'm not sure that this actually counts, since it was a headline that got popular on social media and not the show itself.

I'd say TLH is steadily approaching FOP and Rugrats' status as a Nicktoon. Which is not "flash in the pan" at all, but rather the as popular, long running and culturally significant a show could ever hope to get on this channel. Short of being a smash hit phenomenon like Spongebob or maybe Avatar:TLA.

I would say that applies to The Fairly Odd Parents, but definitely not Rugrats. Rugrats did fade out in popularity in the early 2000s, but the catalyst towards the show ending was because Nickelodeon and Klasky Csupo had a dispute over budget issues, which lead Klasky Csupo to lay off some of it's staff, and not renew it's contract, not because it's popularity dropped.

Even so, it has had a surge in popularity over the last decade. Not quite SpongeBob levels (And I say this as someone who likes Rugrats better than SpongeBob, though I still like SpongeBob), but people do view it in a more favorable light than they did in the 2000s, and now consider it one of the greatest Nicktoons of all time and it has a sizeable fanbase. It's popular enough to have new merchandise produced, reruns occasionally appear on the main network, and it's getting a reboot. So despite phasing out in the 2000s, it has gained a second wind in the 2010s and still continues to be popular now. Can't say the same thing is happening now for FOP, despite people starting to be nostalgic for Rugrats this time 10 years ago.

Though Rugrats was much bigger than FOP, and the second most popular Nickelodeon show ever, only behind SpongeBob.

I can see TLH turning out like Phineas and Ferb, a show that ended on a positive note, without being ran into the ground..
As much as I like Phineas and Ferb, interest did drop in that show. Not to the same extent of Rugrats or especially FOP, but it's popularity withered away with time due to people getting tired of the formula. It has had a boost in popularity over the last year, as a combination of people getting nostalgic for the show, and the new movie approaching. As for The Loud House? It probably might end up being immortal, for all we know. But if it were to end, it'd probably be the same situation as Phineas and Ferb (Which is a very similar show to TLH spiritually), where the producers are able to wrap it up before it gets stale, and it will be viewed as a future classic.

MrCan

It'll probably end up like FOP, where while it's popular, it's not popular enough to become their new cash cow. Which to me is a good and bad thing. Good, because Nick won't be milking the crud out of it, and bad, because the sponge will probably dominate the network for years to come. Don't get me wrong, I hope we get some cartoons that become as big as Spongebob, but considering how niche cartoons are becoming, it probably won't happen for a while.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts