Is streaming the future of action cartoons?

Latest News

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Ratings
Visit site
I have seen a bunch of threads on these message boards about the decline of action cartoons in some of the main networks that show animation. So would streaming be the future of action animation? We have seen Netflix do some action cartoons in recent years, Voltron and Kulipari: An Army of Frogs for kids, Castlevania for adults and Netflix seems to be producing more action cartoons for the future. We have also seen some independent action cartoons like RWBY by Rooster Teeth.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
It does seem to be a big help for action cartoons at least. By relying on streaming sites, they don't have to worry about a network's schedule limiting the appeal of their show. They can just put out a season worth of episodes right off the bat and people can watch the episodes whenever they want to. Binge watching is pretty good way of watching an action series too, especially if the episodes end on a good hook to get people invested. I could see more action series ending up on Netflix in the future, especially if TV networks stay relatively uninterested in them.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,650 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I definitely think streaming platforms are a great home for action cartoons. No long hiatuses (except between seasons), an ongoing story is heavily encouraged because of the nature of binge watching, and the streaming platform’s S&P departments are very lax, if they even have one at all!

In a word, yes. To a degree its arguably the future of animation in general.
Especially since nearly half of the cartoons produced in the US are now being made for streaming platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Ratings
Visit site
I definitely think streaming platforms are a great home for action cartoons. No long hiatuses (except between seasons), an ongoing story is heavily encouraged because of the nature of binge watching, and the streaming platform’s S&P departments are very lax, if they even have one at all!

Especially since nearly half of the cartoons produced in the US are now being made for streaming platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I assume Voltron had some S&P guidelines, because Netflix wanted to make this show so it could make its service appealing to kids. I think the thing that is great about streaming era cartoons is a lot of the more silly censorship elements from the past (not being able to say the world kill or even acknowledge death exists) are being done away with.

I think with the new She-Ra cartoon, they will allow the Horde to be more dangerous then in the old cartoon, letting them have real weapons rather then just stun beams and freeze rays.

Castlevania has very few guidelines though, being aimed at adults and meant to appeal to the Game of Thrones crowd.