Is resolving the 2011 ThunderCats cliffhanger possible or not?

Latest News & Videos

Vuxovich

Jul 9, 2019
Čonoplja near Sombor
Since Samurai Jack and Young Justice got their cliffhangers resolved, I would like a resolution of the 2011 ThunderCats reboot. I hope this is possible. If this is NOT possible, then I will tell you many reasons why:

1. Dan Norton prematurely retired from the animation industry immediately after the 2011 ThunderCats reboot. I don't know why!
2. Studio 4°C's restructuring.
3. The Rankin/Bass estate was not pleased with the changes done for the 2011 ThunderCats reboot.

I would like to hear your opinions. Will you please tell me if the resolution of the 2011 ThunderCats reboot is possible?

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
Considering what they had planned for season 2, I would kind of hope not. What they had planned for Pumyra and the overuse of time-jumps, it would've been a disaster for the show. But if they can do what Samurai Jack did and change the show's direction, then I'm all for it.

As for the possibility of the show being revived, on one hand, CN would rather focus on comedy shows than action shows, one the other hand, if the He-man reboot does good enough, this might be an incentive of the Thundercats being revived.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Considering what they had planned for season 2, I would kind of hope not. What they had planned for Pumyra and the overuse of time-jumps, it would've been a disaster for the show. But if they can do what Samurai Jack did and change the show's direction, then I'm all for it.
I agree. Season two sounded awful. I think it's a good thing the show was canceled when it was. Unless different people are put in charge of resolving that cliffhanger, I would rather the show stayed dead.

Reactions: Zanneck

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
To be fair, it is easy to say that an idea sounds bad without seeing how it would actually play out in finished form. Would Endgame sound like a satisfying ending to you, if someone simply told you "They fix the snap with time-travel"? Wouldn't the final season of Samurai Jack sound kinda dumb, if you were told that its main dramatic focus was a love story between Jack and a daughter of Aku? Would Return of the King excite you, if you heard that the conflict gets resolved by the Gollum jumping to the volcano with the ring and Frodo gets on a boat at the end?

And yes, I know fully well that some people hate all three of those endings, but my point still stands.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
To be fair, it is easy to say that an idea sounds bad without seeing how it would actually play out in finished form. Would Endgame sound like a satisfying ending to you, if someone simply told you "They fix the snap with time-travel"? Wouldn't the final season of Samurai Jack sound kinda dumb, if you were told that its main dramatic focus was a love story between Jack and a daughter of Aku? Would Return of the King excite you, if you heard that the conflict gets resolved by the Gollum jumping to the volcano with the ring and Frodo gets on a boat at the end?

And yes, I know fully well that some people hate all three of those endings, but my point still stands.
Actually yeah, I would have accepted all of those ideas. The ThunderCats second season sounds freaking HARSH.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
3. The Rankin/Bass estate was not pleased with the changes done for the 2011 ThunderCats reboot.
Where did you hear about that? I think I heard about the other two points before, but I don't recall the Rankin/Bass estate being upset with the changes done for the 2011 reboot before.

As for the topic at hand, I wouldn't really be that interested in the series getting a continuation. It would be nice for the fans and the people involved in the series. I remember an interview from Will Fredile that made it seem like he was really excited and into the role as Lion-O, so I was sad for him and the rest of the staff with the show being cancelled and written off. However, if the second season ideas were anything to go on, it still would have had the same kind of problems I had with the first season. It sounds like the pacing problems were still be pretty pronounced. The execution could still make it work, but I don't have much faith that it would have been handled properly after the first season.

I don't think that the 2011 reboot was bad. It started off quite promising, it still had some good moments and episodes throughout its season and I don't think it deserved to be written off. I think it was just rushing through a lot of its storyline in the attempt to find an audience and that didn't work out. I guess it's possible that they could still find a way to continue the series even with Cartoon Network writing it off, but I wouldn't bet on that happening any time soon.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
It'll be better received than Roar if it were ever to happen, for one thing. However, it would need some rewrites and a more balanced tone (not too dark, but so not to make it too light) to shine. It would also need to not be in Con's control. This is definitely a job fora streaming regime to do it right and make it shine, honestly.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I'm all in favour of a continuation to the 2011 reboot but if anything, I don't think it will be based on the planned concept for season 2, given that it would've divided fans even more had it happened.

Reactions: Fone Bone

DBTrilogy100

Mar 9, 2010
United States
Freddy said:

You hit the nail on the head regarding my stance on the planned ideas of Season 2. It's one thing to make assumptions about how events would have panned out just by seeing it on paper/reading about the "clip notes version", it's an entirely different scenario to see the execution of how events would have unfolded.

I am a big believer that tropes/ideas/plots/concepts aren't inherently good or bad, it ultimately depends on the execution. Past experiences have lead to me learning to keep an open mind about something I might have reservations about initially and actually see how it is executed before forming my final thoughts about it; if I don't like something after seeing it executed, then I can, at least, say I gave it a fair shot and didn't jump to conclusions just based off of what-ifs or first impressions.

Unfortunately, we don't have any way of knowing how the Season 2 ideas would have been executed at this point in time but I still consider it unwise to act dismissive about them without seeing any kind of execution (especially when taking other variables and factors into consideration in a hypothetical scenario where production on Season 2 were to occur). Being dismissive about events without seeing the execution is part of the reason why I find the comments about being glad it got cancelled to be in poor form.

As for the main question of the topic: while there haven't been any official plans to resolve the 2011 Series (and Dan Norton seemed certain that any official continuation isn't very likely), a fan-site dedicated to the ThunderCats Franchise did have plans to make a web-based graphic novel to provide a sense of closure, as shown here. Unfortunately, there hadn't been much (if any) updates since that particular update which has given many the impression that the project isn't likely to see the light of day anytime soon (if at all).

Last edited:
Reactions: AdrenalineRush1996

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Matt Vogel's podcast sounds like a lot of fun just from this sound clip.

Marge Simpson is trending on Twitter. I won't say why, though.
I wonder if the mid 30's Fleischer cartoons with the 3d backgrounds with 2d characters was an inspiration for Paper Mario

Here's a teaser that announces Mulan (2020) coming to Disney+ next month .
Given how Jason J. Lewis loves Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm, he must've been really excited getting to work with Kevin Conroy on Justice League Action.