Is OG US Boomerang a Lost Cause Now?

Latest News & Videos

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
Oct 2, 2014
Bedford, OH
twitter.com
During Boomerang's 2015 rebrand (the new logo doesn't even LOOK like a boomerang, BTW), the now-defunct Turner hoped the network and its brand would be a "second flagship" on par with Cartoon Network. 5 years later, WarnerMedia is directing practically all its focus to HBO Max, the OG US Boomerang channel is airing the same amount of Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerry/Scooby-Doo/etc. episodes, shorts, and movies each day (probably hoping the kids won't notice or anything), the "Boomerang Official" YouTube channel hasn't uploaded ANYTHING in 8 months (unlike Boomerang's int'l versions), descriptions under WB Kids videos on YouTube no longer say "Stream all your favorite shows on Boomerang" (the only videos that still carry that message are the LEGO Scooby-Doo Mini-Movies), Yabba-Dabba Dinosaurs, which was produced specifically for the Boomerang app, was apparently cancelled before a single episode was aired, and has never made its way there (or ANYWHERE in the US, for that matter, probably due to all the hate it's gotten), and it's unknown if the rest of Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? will show up on the app (unless it already has), as the other half of the show has aired internationally; and speaking of, not much new content has been uploaded to the app. So, is OG US Boomerang a lost cause now? Should the brand finally be retired?

Last edited:
Reactions: Asa

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Mar 11, 2005
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
Yep. The rebrand didn't do much to help the network, and whatever new content added to the channel felt like a short-term goal. There were very few pickups that aired few and far between, and now they're all out of new episodes.

I really think AT&T's purchase of Time Warner helped hasten Boomerang's neglect. They clearly didn't see a future for CN's second-banana network, so they focused their resources on the company's bigger prospects.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Jan 10, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
www.youtube.com
Boomerang has run its course. WarnerMedia should either shut down or replace the Boomerang linear channel, and they should just shut down the app and move every single show to HBO Max. Boomerang was a lost cause ever since 2017. It tried to bounce back in 2018, only to become a lost cause again a year later. I'm surprised it lasted THIS long. Boomerang is dead.

CNC

Jan 30, 2020
Someplace, USA
Yes. Every single movie and show from the Boomerang app should permanently be moved to HBO Max and then shut down their app and channel. I’m tired of hearing that same “crazy cat” promo.

SpongieLoud

Feb 27, 2017
Once Xfinity started dropping the channel around the world I gave up with this channel. They are better off making Boomerang international only since the channel is more successful and caters towards their audience.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Aug 31, 2018
Right behind you.
Maybe they could rebrand it as Cartoonito, with all the shows they share with Cartoonito all over the world(Wabbit, The Tom and Jerry Show, Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, and soon Wacky Races).

F150Dog

Nov 4, 2018
USA
Maybe they could rebrand it as Cartoonito, with all the shows they share with Cartoonito all over the world(Wabbit, The Tom and Jerry Show, Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, and soon Wacky Races).
I don't think it will be successful in the US market because of stiff competition with Nick Jr and Disney Jr and cable companies are less likely to put in basic tier so Nick Jr and Disney Jr were more than enough for Turner to not launch a preschool block or own channel.

Turner know about difficulty with cable companies so they are done now - they are focus on HBO Max and existing channels that they have right now. Boomerang is likely to go first.

Low Spark of Lyman

The only movie in the entire world.
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. With the apparent priorities of WarnerMedia, Boomerang seems to be deadwood at this point.

While I don't have the channel myself, I've read about how it's backed out of what it was trying to do following its 2015 rebrand (prior to that, there were already complaints about it being on autopilot mode). Not much focus on its own programming, not much on older shows (like it used to be about*), and rarely even does cross-promotion for Cartoon Network shows (OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes and Summer Camp Island being two exceptions).

Reactions: RDG

superkeegan9100

Jan 10, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
www.youtube.com
and rarely even does cross-promotion for Cartoon Network shows (OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes and Summer Camp Island being two exceptions).
Uh, have you seen the channel before they rebranded? Before they added ads, there were tons of promos for shows airing on CN at the time! Now the only time they do this is in the graveyard hours.

SpongieLoud

Feb 27, 2017
I feel like the only reason why Warner Media still has the Boomerang channel Is because it still makes decent ratings for it to have low carriage and the recent addition to it being on basic DirectTV packages. I find it weird that they recently did that and all of sudden adding new promos and on screen banners again after stopping after 2016.

Rainbowkid37

Nov 26, 2019
I'm Not Telling you!
To be honest, I think the next step to Boomerang is to either shut down, or downgrade to just a block on Cartoon Network or The CW Maybe not even the latter. Or even rebrand to a 24-hour Kids WB channel. (Though I doubt it would be successful because of HBO Max, and other kid networks (Such as Qubo, Universal Kids, Nicktoons, Etc.)

F150Dog

Nov 4, 2018
USA
I noticed that Boomerang on Hulu Live TV is shown in HD and widescreen but not sure if it is correct aspect ratio.

Low Spark of Lyman

Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
Uh, have you seen the channel before they rebranded? Before they added ads, there were tons of promos for shows airing on CN at the time! Now the only time they do this is in the graveyard hours.
I've never had the channel (would certainly have liked to way back when, though). Doesn't help that I'm in a household that gets Xfinity.

By "cross-promotion", I was referring to Boomerang actually airing contemporary CN shows, not just promos for them. Though, looking back, that bit could have been more specific. The "not much focus" part was about the channel after the rebrand, not before it.

superkeegan9100

Jan 10, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
www.youtube.com
By "cross-promotion", I was referring to Boomerang actually airing contemporary CN shows, not just promos for them. Though, looking back, that bit could have been more specific. The "not much focus" part was about the channel after the rebrand, not before it.
People were pissed when OK K.O. and Summer Camp Island aired on the network so that's probably why they're not gonna do it again anytime soon...

Low Spark of Lyman

Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
People were pissed when OK K.O. and Summer Camp Island aired on the network so that's probably why they're not gonna do it again anytime soon...
I'm guessing WarnerMedia won't see much value in that stunt anymore anyway. The latter event was almost two years ago, shortly after the AT&T deal was completed. And with HBO Max now here, well...

Reactions: superkeegan9100

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The winner for this Media Brackets competition is Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars, which got 4 votes. Quack Pack got 1 vote. Thanks to everyone for participating. The article is next week.

So, this is fitting. Also, why does this meme only go until September?

Here are the most notable South Asian voices.
The 2015 Fantastic Four film was released 5 years ago today.
Kitschensyngk wrote on Harley's profile.
Who do I contact over at Popgeeks about server problems? I've having difficulties accessing the server to update my website.