Is Nickelodeon returning to it's "Classic" style?

TheMisterManGuy

It'd be easy to write Nickelodeon, from any period, off as just another children's network. But there was one thing that made shows like Hey Arnold, Doug, Pete and Pete, Alex Mack, Avatar, Ned's Declassified, and even Rugrats feel fresh from other kids' shows. The unique child perspective. That was what seperated Nick from the likes of competetors like Disney. Their programing wasn't so much about capturing the whimsy of childhood, rather, Nick's shows were more about shows with real world scenarios, interpreted from a kid's point of view. Pete and Pete is a good example of that classic Nickelodeon magic. The show's oddball style came from the fact that it envisioned seemingly mundane situations, as child-like surrealism from the perspective of the eynponomus characters. From a kid's view, a Brain Freeze can feel like a massive trip, school bullies seem like supervillains or wild animals, and Adults can seem either totalitarian, or just plain weird.

That was what made that show, and Nick in general, so unique. Now flash foward today, with newer shows like Harvey Beaks, and The Loud House, could Nick be returning to this older style of story telling?

DeanBurrito25

It's hard to say right now. But with the exit of long time Nick veteran Russell Hicks that might shift the general landscape of the network for the years to come, for better or worse.

90'sKid

Loud House definitively feels more like a Nick show than most of their other recent programing.

rememberToonTown

Loud House definitively feels more like a Nick show than most of their other recent programing.
Of course, but I don't think that will bring them back to their Classic style. Nickelodeon still has more live-action shows than cartoons and they still constantly air SpongeBob and Alvin and the Chipmunks.

90'sKid

Of course, but I don't think that will bring them back to their Classic style. Nickelodeon still has more live-action shows than cartoons and they still constantly air SpongeBob and Alvin and the Chipmunks.

I know, I was just saying that Loud House is a very Nick show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheMisterManGuy

Nickelodeon has always had a mix of live action and Cartoons.

Frizzbee

Lets Check our list
Good Shows
Harvey Beaks
The loud House
Post Sequel SpongeBob
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Thundermans (debatable)

We're not quite there yet but if we keep pushing (and maybe fire that obnoxious Cyma Zarghami) We might have a comeback.

kanc

Lets Check our list
Good Shows
Harvey Beaks
The loud House
Post Sequel SpongeBob
Thundermans (debatable)

We're not quite there yet but if we keep pushing (and maybe fire that obnoxious Cyma Zarghami) We might have a comeback.
How is Thundermans a classic style? Rest of this seems to look like good classic style

kanc

In Nickelodeon's case classic basically equals good.
I know what it means! I meant that storylines and humor, and some art style is good. In my opinion, Thundermans was only a live action, as most people refers as kidcoms and they think it doesn't have adult interest and only some younger and older kids are at interest. Classic style animation appeals to adult demos as well as kids demos.

Vaughn B.

Lets Check our list
Good Shows
Harvey Beaks
The loud House
Post Sequel SpongeBob
Thundermans (debatable)

& Don't forget we still got Fairly Odd Parents, Alvin & The Chipmunks, & Power Rangers too!

Frizzbee

& Don't forget we still got Fairly Odd Parents, Alvin & The Chipmunks, & Power Rangers too!
Fairly odd parents is NOT Nickelodeon's classic style. With its freaking duck face memes. Power Rangers sort of flies under the radar and Alvin and the Chipmunks is a pretty mixed bag.

kanc

Fairly odd parents is NOT Nickelodeon's classic style. With its freaking duck face memes. Power Rangers sort of flies under the radar and Alvin and the Chipmunks is a pretty mixed bag.
FOP is actually kinda like classic because it started in 2001. And there's no duckface memes or whatever you call it.

Last edited:

Vaughn B.

FOP is actually kinda like classic because it started in 2001. And there's no duckface memes or whatever you call it.

& The Power Rangers have not been under the radar, they are still new to Nick since 2011!

MegasMilo379

Finally.
Watch the big fairy share scare
Big Fairy Share Scare is the first episode of Season 10. The show didn't truly feature the big fads of the time (foolishly) until after Poof was born. This "classic" Nick era the show premiered as a part of happened waaaaay before then.

Last edited:

90'sKid

Big Fairy Share Scare is the first episode of Season 10. The show didn't truly feature the big fads of the time (foolishly) until after Poof was born. This "classic" Nick era the show premiered as a part of happened waaaaay before then.

Ya, seasons 9 and 10 of FoP really cranked it up with the pop culture/tech references. Off the top of my head we have: Selfies, Duckface, YouTube (not a new fad but parodying it a decade after it came out is just sad), smartphones, and terms like "cray-cray" (I cringed writing that). All its missing is twerking.

Mikurotoro92

Banned
Ya, seasons 9 and 10 of FoP really cranked it up with the pop culture/tech references. Off the top of my head we have: Selfies, Duckface, YouTube (not a new fad but parodying it a decade after it came out is just sad), smartphones, and terms like "cray-cray" (I cringed writing that). All its missing is twerking.

Yet ANOTHER reason why anime is better then most cartoons! No stupid & unnecessary pop culture references thrown in!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts