Is Me-TV About To Add A Saturday Morning Cartoon Block?

Latest News & Videos

Mr Flintstone

Feb 12, 2008
Bedrock
On their sight they have an old Saturday morning schedule from 1980 and a list of cartoons from 1980. They’ve already added The Flintstones to their night schedule.

Maybe they’re trying to poke interest. A Saturday morning block would be very good for Me-TV.

Low Spark of Lyman

The only movie in the entire world.
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
I'd love to see more H-B* shows on MeTV, and apparently The Flintstones are doing well enough on there (I still see ads for it on my local ABC station (affiliated with MeTV), if that says anything).

However, I'm not quite so sure what else would be feasible for the station. The Jetsons seems an obvious choice (though, with less episodes, I imagine it as one of those weekend-exclusive shows). Maybe some sort of best-of collection for the short-length series, like Yogi Bear and Huckleberry Hound.

For the past few decades, H-B shows have been, I think, largely restricted to Cartoon Network and/or Boomerang. Yet neither of those two seem to be interested in that library (outside of Scooby-Doo and Tom & Jerry) now, as they either have moved on to their own thing or are in the process of attempting to do so. I assume the upcoming HBO Max will give Warner even less incentive to have much H-B on those channels, hence why MeTV has been airing The Flintstones since last autumn.

On another point, while animated programming may seem niche for digital sub-channels, the same could also be said for game shows, which got a dedicated channel- Buzzr- back in 2015. And if talk shows count, then there's Johnny Carson and Dick Cavett on AntennaTV and Decades, respectively.

*Not sure if anything from other studios is do-able at this point, which is why I'm only talking about that one.

Reactions: 19MagiswordLane

Jean74

June and Summertime
Apr 12, 2012
Sevierville TN!
Really want to see a cartoon block like H-B there. But sadly wish kids would experience that of cartoons like people from the 1970's-1990's there. But sadly will not get that in this time of age. Almost all of my nephews and nieces grew up on 1990's cartoons.

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
Mar 31, 2017
US
I wish MeTV would add more animated content. The Flintstones is a nice start but adding a few more especially for Saturday mornings like maybe the Jetsons, Smurfs & Scooby-Doo wouldn't hurt. If they could afford such that is.

Though with the Boomerang and HBO Max Streaming services being around, i'm not sure of the likely-hood of such a thing.

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Troy NY
They tried a pre-dawn animated block a few years ago, and putting it on before sunrise was a mistake that killed the block. There was some Krofft live-action programming, too (H. R. Pufnstuf), mixed with He-Man and The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo. The rights to all have since moved on. Me-TV is too committed to a Saturday Western block to try it again.

With Flintstones airing on the 10's on Sundays (am & pm), it's just a matter of finding the rights to another series that would complement it. Remember Me-TV and its parent are paying WarnerMedia for the rights to Flintstones, which, marking its 60th anniversary this fall, would otherwise be gathering dust and moss in the Chumptoon Network vault.

Low Spark of Lyman

The only movie in the entire world.
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
There was also ThisTV airing Cookie Jar Toons and KidsClick, both blocks focused on numerous animated series, albeit largely more recent ones (one notable exception was The Pink Panther Show).

Considering how The Flintstones seems to be the first animated series to air on MeTV- or any other such network- in a long while, it may be a way, consciously or not, of testing the waters for animated programming to be a thing on them. While the obvious answer may be to have a new network akin to what CN/Boom used to be like, I figure that won't be considered feasible by relevant companies.

BTW, I haven't seen The Flintstones airing at 10 PM on Sundays. Both of the affiliates I get for MeTV have local programming during that hour.

Mr Flintstone

Feb 12, 2008
Bedrock
I wish MeTV would add more animated content. The Flintstones is a nice start but adding a few more especially for Saturday mornings like maybe the Jetsons, Smurfs & Scooby-Doo wouldn't hurt. If they could afford such that is.

Though with the Boomerang and HBO Max Streaming services being around, i'm not sure of the likely-hood of such a thing.
Speaking of HBO Max which launches in May, that will be another way to watch classic WB and HB cartoons. Hope their Looney Tunes include all the shorts including Speedy.

mimitchi33

Bokura zettai akiramenai!
Jul 5, 2010
If only PB&J was still around. It had the Classic Media cartoons.
It also had stuff that still hasn't seen a DVD release, like Shari Lewis' two PBS shows, Theodore Tugboat and VeggieTales on TV. (which has seen a DVD release of a few segments as a bonus feature on another VeggieTales DVD, but never the full show)

wiley207

Jan 20, 2009
USA
They tried a pre-dawn animated block a few years ago, and putting it on before sunrise was a mistake that killed the block. There was some Krofft live-action programming, too (H. R. Pufnstuf), mixed with He-Man and The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo. The rights to all have since moved on. Me-TV is too committed to a Saturday Western block to try it again.
Yep, I also remember that block including "Gumby," showing all the episodes from the 50s to the 80s in chronological order and with their original soundtracks. (But even on the 50s and 60s episodes they'd still show the 80s closing credits, even if much of the crew credited wasn't involved with those older episodes! An obvious one is composer Jerry Gerber, who scored the 80s series using MIDI synthesizers, in contrast to the 50s and 60s episodes using the Capitol/John Seely stock music to good effect.)

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Troy NY
IIRC, whomever had the rights to Gumby in the 80's didn't bother with the correct credits for the original shorts, and decided to slap on the credits for the newer works, thinking viewers wouldn't know the difference.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
IIRC, whomever had the rights to Gumby in the 80's didn't bother with the correct credits for the original shorts, and decided to slap on the credits for the newer works, thinking viewers wouldn't know the difference.
Well, that's stupid. It comes as if they've made those original ones when really they didn't.

Zorak Masaki

May 6, 2002
Visit site
They should put The Jetsons on with the Flintstones and make a one-hour block. Heck, go for 90 minutes and throw in Johnny Quest. If they add the 80s episodes of both shows (and New Adventures for Johnny Quest), they've got plenty of episodes to run.

Reactions: Low Spark of Lyman