Votes: 9 47.4%
  • He's overrated.

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Shredhead

Suck gas evildoers!
Feb 21, 2009
Texas
I dont see anything wrong with Kojima I love the MGS series and Zone of the Enders you cant fault Konami wanting more Metal Gear when it gives them so much money. Sure alot of other franchises that konami messed up but you cant blame the guy for the company's idiocy. Also yes mistakes were made with MGS2 yeah the game sucks but its not like Miyamoto hit it out of the park all the time or do I have to mention Wii Music.

SO in short IMO Kojima is cool but he would be alot cooler if he would make a new ZOE already.

Desensitized

Old School!
May 1, 2006
Canada
I kind of want a new overhead Metal Gear like the MSX games or the Game Boy Color one. I always preferred that style the most, so it's a shame it's rarely been used.

Magus

The Boss
Oct 24, 2008
Michigan
I don't know, when I played the 1st Metal Gear games through Subsistence, I felt the overhead view was "blah".

TacoHunter

Master of None
Aug 30, 2003
Frozen wastelands of Colo
varcraft.net
What point? That doesn't make any sense. You don't like things that aren't targeted at your age-group? You grew out of the targeted age group?
Pretty much.

I guess I'm just not in to that kind of thing anymore. With characters talking back and forth without really saying anything. The plot doesn't really get moved forward, it doesn't really feel like its adding flavor to the world, its just talking for the sake of talking. You seem to be really big in to this series, so I don't really expect you to understand.

But to try and clarify it, for example, people really like the first MGS game. I thought it was okay. My big problem with it is after I beat it in 10 hours, I was like "Man, that was short." Then I went back and played it again but skipped all the cut scenes and codex conversations. It took me less then 3 hours to beat it. Which means when I beat the game for the first time I only played for 3 hours and watched talking heads for 7 hours.

That's really my big problem with Kojima. He is willing to sacrifice gameplay for non interactive story telling. What's the point of even making it a game, if you're not even playing it over half the time?

Vyse

Jan 5, 2004
Savannah, GA
jkschnabel.tumblr.com
2 is universally considered the worst of the 4 Solid series, so...I dunno why anyone would keep fighting on it.

4 definitely has the most cutscene, but the gameplay hasn't suffered and you can skip them mercifully for once.
Not just skip them, but pause them just in case you had to go to the bathroom/take a call/make a burrito. That's innovation.

As for Kojima, the furthest I gotten with his games was getting through the intro chapter in MGS4. While I have never experienced the full brunt of his works, he has done something Itagaki failed to do with his games and ego: keep his job and move up in the Konami ladder. Not only is Kojima still a key player in Konami, he has a studio named after him. Even though he's not developing it, he's still overseeing the latest Castlevania title, the first time he is even involved in the franchise. Plus, Kojima doesn't seem ego-maniacal, as evident when he teamed up with Assassin's Creed.

Taekmkm

Ribbit
Apr 7, 2008
IL
Well, Xenosaga long had it, although if you thought MGS cutscenes were tedious, holy jeez Xenosaga was worse.

Kojima has proven far more than Itagaki as a game developer, with gems like Policenauts and Snatchers.

Desensitized

Old School!
May 1, 2006
Canada
Kojima is the ONLY player left at Konami. The guy behind the new Rocket Knight game had to pitch it like 5 times over 2 years in order for them to even consider it. This is how far they've let themselves fall.

Other than Iga, there isn't anyone left there. They might as well rename themselves to Kojipro. Because without Kojima, they would have closed shop back in the PS2 days when they ran out of ideas.

Same with Tecmo and Itagaki.

Man, I miss Nakazato... At least there are people like Tom Hullet (who pitched Contra 4 and Rocket Knight) there as well as the ReBirth team. (M2. Even though they're not a part of Konami...) They're the only ones who remember what Konami was.

MrScottyBear

Jul 3, 2009
Las Vegas
I remember the days When Konami was known for good games rather than Metal gear Solid. I played the first 2, both failed to hold my interest for more than an hour. I honestly fail to see what's so "visionary" to his work.

Or maybe I just hate him because Konami forgot it had awesome franchises like Suikoden.

creativerealms

Jul 14, 2004
Tierkreis while it was not a bad game was not a Suikoden game. It just had the name tacked on to it. Oh and was four years ago which yeah is not that long.

Magus

The Boss
Oct 24, 2008
Michigan
I dont see anything wrong with Kojima I love the MGS series and Zone of the Enders you cant fault Konami wanting more Metal Gear when it gives them so much money. Sure alot of other franchises that konami messed up but you cant blame the guy for the company's idiocy. Also yes mistakes were made with MGS2 yeah the game sucks but its not like Miyamoto hit it out of the park all the time or do I have to mention Wii Music.
I missed this post. I agree with this wholeheartedly. In a sense, I can understand people wanting variety with Kojima, but at the same time I don't see how people can complain about milking a franchise when other companies does it just as much if not more (Miyamoto and the Mario/Zelda games, yet these games are praised). Final Fantasy's been milked to death. While I don't have an issue with a series being milked at all, especially with the way the economy is at the moment. It'd be foolish to not continue making the games that bring in the money.

But then again I've only witnessed complaints about milking a series from this forum :p

Desensitized said:
Kojima is the ONLY player left at Konami. The guy behind the new Rocket Knight game had to pitch it like 5 times over 2 years in order for them to even consider it. This is how far they've let themselves fall.

Other than Iga, there isn't anyone left there. They might as well rename themselves to Kojipro. Because without Kojima, they would have closed shop back in the PS2 days when they ran out of ideas.
I don't know, if that's really true then that tells me Kojima saved Konami with the MGS series. Like Shredhead said, you can't say that it's Kojima's fault that everyone else in the company was putting out crappy games.

Desensitized

Old School!
May 1, 2006
Canada
It's not Kojima's fault. It's Konami's for not doing anything with their other IPs except letting them die. Kojima might have well just released them on his own without Konami and they probably would have been just as successful.

For a company that used to be Capcom's rival, they sure are way behind them.

But I do think that may be why a lot of people hate him, since it's all Konami really comes out with any more. Not to say I agree, because I don't, but I think it's a reason.