Is it truly one DC Animated Universe? (Likely Spoilers for Upcoming Seasons)

Is it one universe?

• Yes (B:TAS, S:TAS, JL, SS, TZP, BB, TT all share one world)

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No (B:TAS, S:TAS, and JL are, the rest are alt. universes, or something like that)

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters

Chad Bonin

a.k.a. Knux Five
Staff member
Reporter
This has probably been one of the greater debates in this fandom: Does Teen Titans and Batman Beyond (And to a lesser extent, Static Shock) exist in the same continuity/universe as Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, and Justice League? Both sides have their arguements for (Batman's refference to the Teen Titans to Static, who will team up with Beyond Batman) and against (Robin II's character model is definitely younger in RotJ than in Teen Titans).

What do you think? And explain why?

I definitely think that they share the same universe, because there hasn't been enough proof to descredit it. I rationalize the art style of Teen Titans and different character models as to just be an effect of it being an animated series. While Starfire might get hearts for eyes when holding a huge bottle of mustard when watching Teen Titans, if she was in Justice League showing the same affinity, it'd just be her smiling/blushing while holding a normal-sized bottle of French's. Despite each show having it's own style, that's just a result of it being animated, if they were really, nobody's heads would growing to massive sizes and such. Also, with character models, there's different reasons. Batman might have just been wearing an old costume when he first met Static, and decided to wear his JL-edition when he later met him. Robin II's appearance in the RotJ flashback WAS a narrative from Barbara Gordon; her memory could have been a little whack in her old age.

Add on all the references between the worlds... and I think it's pretty clear cut. The Teen Titans Robin, despite proof one way or the other, is likely a teenaged Robin II. Robin II was trained by Batman. Batman teamed up with Superman. Superman led the Justice League Unlimited. The Justice League Unlimited offered a spot to the Batman of 2039. 2039's Batman let the Zeta Project escape. The Zeta Project in it's early form was used for training by the Justice League. The Justice League fought Braniac alongside Static Shock. Static Shock teamed up with Batman. Batman refferenced the Teen Titans.

http://www.angelfire.com/zine/knuxfive/DC_Universe.jpg

I came up with that for another board; don't expect it to be as detailed as you would expect here, but that's how I see the universe fitting together.

JohnStewart-GL

Mighty JLU memba
I see B:TAS S:TAS, S.S., and J.L. all as one continuity. But im not sure about Titans and i prefer to see Batman Beyond as a possible future.

James

Administrator
Staff member
I see Batman Beyond, Batman, Superman, Justice League and MAYBE Static Shock/Zeta all being the same reality. I'm not to sure on the latter having watched very little of either. From my own perspective, I have no doubt that Batman Beyond is (as most of you are tired of hearing) thanks to the references in Justice League, the tie in with TNBA in ROTJ and that there is nothing now to imply it isn't (the only evidence against BB being canon was from Static Shock and that will now have Batman Beyond tied in). Really now it just comes down to personal preference. I know some people who - despite all the new connections JL has to BTAS and STAS - prefer to see it as non BTAS canon. Again personal preference - I don't doubt the show currently sees BB as part of the Official canon.

Teen Titans is seperate in my eyes. I know Dini has said he can't see how it would link, but regardless of that it doesn't suit being part of the DC canon and works better alone. I enjoy Robin being neither Tim or Dick and just being the TT Robin. He's far darker and more 'Batty' than either canon characters and to link him and the rest of the show to the DC Canon would simply just take away it's individuality.

I think all shows can work seperately or as canon. I could perfectly understand people who would like to see BTAS on it's own since it's anachronistic character and design is lost from TNBA onwards.

I think there is currently an official canon and that is by writers deemed as BTAS,TNBA,STAS,JL,SS,BB (and if they remember it - Zeta) - since they don't seem to be writing anything that conflicts with either or any of these shows. The only differences are just aesthetic. Likewise, I think they are intentionally keeping it seperate.

So for me, I agree with what I think is DC's official canon. I know many disagree with me however.. :p

MvComedy

I consider all of them to be in continuity for the most part. Teen Titans I consider iffy, since the creators have pretty much stated that it isn't in continuity and I have no problem with that. I think the rest flow together fine.

I see no good reason for BB and Zeta Project (by extension) not to be in continuity. However, I understand the confusion because the creators themselves can't seem to make up their minds on whether or not it should take place in the mainstream DCAU. Things like "BB can't be canon because I don't like what they did to Robin" or "I don't like the idea of Bruce Wayne being old" are another story, though.

king_k4life

I think it is the Same Universe it would just mean TT Robin is Dick and it took place in the late 80's Static is in continuity. there is nothing that says it isnt.

Nick K.

Everything is in continuity, except TT, but if it was itd be early like at the beginning of Grayson's career, cause TT Robin is Grayson.

The only thing that kinda gets me about BB, even though i believe its in continuity, is BB's ROTJ flashback. If Joker is never used again, it will make everything perfect, otherwise Robin will be too old...

king_k4life

Thats why I said I read somewhere teen titans are 15 and
Teen Titans season 2 has said Dick is Robin
so it would of had to take place in 1989. and Teen Titans Go!
said that it takes place in NY so its the original teen titans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fernus

Abraham Sapien
Personally, I do not consider any of the DC shows to be in the same continuality. The only two I could ever dream of being in the same are B:TAS and TNBA, but that's it. Even if they guest star (World's Finest, Static Shock), that's all they are: guest stars.

B

bluelaces

i don't think it's in continuality like destiny i think the only two shows that are in continuality are B:TAS and TNBA :D

David the Joker

Dying is Easy. Comedy is Hard
I believe that all shows are in the same universe except for Teen Titans. If Dick Grayson is Robin in Teen Titans and both JL and Titans are producing new episodes then it is obvious; however, my hope is that Tim Drake is the Robin in Titans (even if its not the same universe as JL). I will always believe that Batman Beyond is in the same universe as the Batman shows because this way you know what happened to these characters and see how they turned out...now if I could only know what happened to Nightwing.

Nick K.

David the Joker said:
I believe that all shows are in the same universe except for Teen Titans. If Dick Grayson is Robin in Teen Titans and both JL and Titans are producing new episodes then it is obvious; however, my hope is that Tim Drake is the Robin in Titans (even if its not the same universe as JL). I will always believe that Batman Beyond is in the same universe as the Batman shows because this way you know what happened to these characters and see how they turned out...now if I could only know what happened to Nightwing.

For what its worth, in case you forgot, in ROTJ, they mention Nightwing established himself in another city, so we kinda know he left Gotham, but they need to tie his story up...

Chad Bonin

a.k.a. Knux Five
Staff member
Reporter

That other city was, in all likeliness, Budhaven, but they probably couldn't call it that.

Heh, I'd love to see them spice things up and say he moved to Dakota or Central or Metropolis...

Crimson

Weirdo From Another Planet
I think that B:TAS, S:TAS, JL and (probably) BB are all part of the same continuity; I've never seen a single episode of SS, so I couldn't hazard a guess about that one.

TT I don't think is in the same continuity. Even putting aside the vast differences in style -- after all, comic book art varies greatly from title to title, but that doesn't effect continuity -- from the episodes I've seen (not many, admitedly) there has been no evidence to suggest they are connected.

If the creators had wanted the series linked, they would have done so. Casting the same VA as Robin would have been the most obvious way to do this.

HelloKittyKat

BTAS/TNBA, STAS, and Justice League are obviously connected.

Batman Beyond is an alternate future. It's the DKR to Justice League's post-Crisis Batman history.

Static Shock seems to be a part of the BTAS/STAS/JL continuity, but we'll have to wait and see how the Batman Beyond crossover goes

Teen Titans is tricky. We'll have to wait until the season premire. What's the harm in just saying Robin is Tim?

(actually, I was hoping that Nightwing would be a member in the Teen Titans series, given his under-use in TNBA. Boy, was I disappointed.)

Nick K.

HelloKittyKat said:
BTAS/TNBA, STAS, and Justice League are obviously connected.

Batman Beyond is an alternate future. It's the DKR to Justice League's post-Crisis Batman history.

Static Shock seems to be a part of the BTAS/STAS/JL continuity, but we'll have to wait and see how the Batman Beyond crossover goes

Teen Titans is tricky. We'll have to wait until the season premire. What's the harm in just saying Robin is Tim?

(actually, I was hoping that Nightwing would be a member in the Teen Titans series, given his under-use in TNBA. Boy, was I disappointed.)

If JL appeared on SS and now BB is gonna be in there, then they dont have to be tied in if SS isnt in continuity, but it would seem they are trying to tie it in.

No harm in saying Robin is Tim, but youd be wrong. He is Grayson, or the show will be pointless to me. Grayson & Starfire are together, not Tim and Starfire, thats dumb, to me.

Hmmmm... Nightwing..... Why do they not give him his own series? He rules! I hope we see him in a JL ep or even TT would be great. Like if they could just have Robin become nightwing in one of the seasons. And if taht happened, TT could eb an alternate universe and itd be proven, but whatever, well see.

Nick K.

Knux Five said:
Why can't Drake and Starfire be hooked up?

Cause it the way id prefer it. And besides, id like it to be somewhat faithful to the comics. I dont wanna see Superman and another random reporter as going out. Superman needs his Lois Lane. Grayson needs his Starfire. Besides, its gonna happen anyways. Robin is Dick Grayson.

Obscure

Euh. B:TAS, S:TAS and JL I can see happening in the same timeline. I haven't watched much of Static, but I did catch the SS/JL crossover, so I'm assuming it's in the same timeline with the rest of them. Batman Beyond...I say it's more of an alternate dimension-it might happen if you tweak a bit of this and tweak a bit of that...

Teen Titans is what makes my head spin. I say no-I can't see Teen Titans co-existing with the rest of them. Art differences, ages, blahblahblah, those don't really matter to me. I just can't see the Teen Titans being set in the DCAU's universe without having a few changes made to them.

king_k4life

My reason is that it should sorta be like the Comics.
And Tim is like 13 now and Starfire is 20-30 something.

It is Pefectly possile for TT to be in DCAU They didn't mention any specific date and Since
TT season 2 said Dick was Robin
and theres rumors that
Nightwing is going to show up in the future Starfire thingy

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts