Is it truly one DC Animated Universe? (Likely Spoilers for Upcoming Seasons)

Is it one universe?

• Yes (B:TAS, S:TAS, JL, SS, TZP, BB, TT all share one world)

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No (B:TAS, S:TAS, and JL are, the rest are alt. universes, or something like that)

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters

FALLEN ELDOR

With Batman, Superman and the league so firmly linked in not just one or two but five episodes of Static Shock, it would be foolish to say it wasn't in continuity.
BB is a future event, and the future can be changed. Perhaps Robin being in with the Titans (as said by Batman in SS) changed the events we saw in ROTJ, and that event never happen now? The Future is not set, we already saw the future timeline change in Hereafter, who knows how much it can still change...
TT, until I see definite proof that it isn't DCAU, then I will continue to believe that it is.
Regardless we do know a group of Titans exist as Batman mentioned them Static Shock, weather or not that was the Titans as seen in the new series, well I guess that remains to be seen. Bring on season 2!
Dr. Destiny said:
Personally, I do not consider any of the DC shows to be in the same continuality. The only two I could ever dream of being in the same are B:TAS and TNBA, but that's it. Even if they guest star (World's Finest, Static Shock), that's all they are: guest stars.
You can't argue that BTAS, TNBA and STAS aren't the same continuity, that is a ridiculous statement. Justice league in the first season, it seamed arguable that is was separated, but with so many things that happened in season two, they are now firmly locked in as continuity. To say other wise would just be a false statement.
I don't mean to sound rude, argumentative or arrogant, I'm just trying to state what is factual.

Chad Bonin

a.k.a. Knux Five
Staff member
Reporter

Yeah, I mean, S:TAS, B:TAS, and JL are most definitely the same world.

And until I see/hear proof of Dick in Teen Titans, I'm inclined to think otherwise. Tim could take on the role Dick did in the comic.

BeastBoyWonder

Teen Titans Go!
Knux Five said:
Yeah, I mean, S:TAS, B:TAS, and JL are most definitely the same world.

And until I see/hear proof of Dick in Teen Titans, I'm inclined to think otherwise. Tim could take on the role Dick did in the comic.

At this point, I don't think that there are any concrete indicators either way. The show has clearly taken great steps to distinguish itself from the rest of the DCAU pack from both a stylistic standpoint and also in terms of story content. Its both visually and structurally far different than any other DCAU show, and it is that gutsy innovation that is part of why the show remains so appealing. It doesn't matter whether Robin is Dick or Tim... he's just Robin, and the show does a great job of humanizing him regardless of his identity.

However, while we're talking about comics, the show producers have openly admitted that the show dynamics are largely based in spirit on the lengthy Wolfman/Perez run of the various incarnations of the Teen Titans series... the spirit of all of the characters remains pretty consistent with the comics, as do the nature of their interactions. Robin has many of the personality charactaristics of the Dick of the comics, much more closely than anything that Tim displayed with the "Teen Titans" team members. A slew of other evidence aside, Tim would act completely different in a lot of these situations merely because there was a completely different kind of Robin that preceded him.

"Comic Thug" said it best:

Comic Thug said:
Man who cares, as long as the eps are enjoyable and have no silly holes in them

Y'all argue over some stupid ass things

Oh yeah, January 10th is gonna rock

Godzillatron

No, there isn't only one DCAU universe

The first DCAU universe was created in the 1940s, when Fleischer released several theatrical Superman cartoon shorts.

There was also one that lasted from the 1960s to the 1980s, with the Super Friends and other animated superhero shows. There may be several, since I do not have enclcoypedic knowledge of them.

The Scooby-Doo universe has a Batman, Robin, Joker, and Penguin.

In 1992, which most on this forum refer to as the Animated DC universe (henceforth refereed to as the Mainstream DCUA) was born, with the premiere of Batman: The Animated Series. Also included in this universe are Justice League, The New Batman Adventures, Static Shock, and Superman: The Animated Series, as well as the films Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman and Mister Freeze: Sub-Zero, and Batman: The Mystery of the Batwoman.

In 1997, Batman Beyond premiered, which along with the Zeta Project and the film Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, show a world what may be the future of either the Mainstream DCUA or a very similar one.

The Teen Titans, which premiered in 2003, may be the mainstream DCUA universe, but is most likely an alternate one.

The comic adaptations of these worlds exist in similar universes that most likely branched off that world, due to differences (for example that world's Amazo is closer to the mainstream DCU than the mainstream DCUA). There are also similar worlds in books and video games, some of which may be in the mainstream DCUA animated universe, and some are not.

In 1997, when the DC and Marvel megaverses started to combine, one of the modern animated universes amalgamated with a Marvel animated universe, as seen in the one-shot, the Dark Claw Adventures.

In addition, there exist several other variations of the mainstream animated universe -

<sum> Earth-BNW, where after Intergang murdered Lois Lane, Superman joined with Lex Luthor to turn Metropolis into a police state.

<sum> Earth-JGA, where a group of heroes known as the Justice Guild of America defended Seaboard City before sacrificing their lives to save the city from a nuclear attack. A boy known as Ray Thompson, gaining god-like powers from the fallout then remade the world into an idealized world through the eyes of a child.

<sum> Earth-Justice Lords, where this world's versions of the Justice League turned the entire world into a benevolent dictatorship.

These worlds are just a small group of the many universes which make up Hypertime and the DC Megaverse, regulated by a number of beings, including the Linear men, Chronos, and Access.

Bibliography

http://www.dcuguide.com/Who_Home.htm

http://members.tripod.com/~MitchellBrown/xover/amalgam.html

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/amalgamd.htm

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
king_k4life said:
My reason is that it should sorta be like the Comics.
And Tim is like 13 now and Starfire is 20-30 something.
Like Tim would care! And Starfire may be in her 20's but she acts like she is about 12. Anyways, she is an alien so maybe she ages differently.

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
I think they are all in the same universe with the possible exception of TT. It makes sense and the continuity is fairly solid. It's a lot more solid than the continuity of many other single series out there, animated or otherwise. Look at all the continuity goofs in Star Trek, for example. And when you consider we're talking good continuity over several different DC animated series, I think it's clear they are in the same universe.

Besides, it's more fun this way! I can maybe see why people object to TT being in the same universe but why BB?

A TT / JL cross-over? True, the styles are very different. But they did it with Batman and Static Shock. They kept Batman's style all minimal, square chin with a single line for a mouth and white slits for eyes while Static was a completely different style. But it still worked. They could do the same for a TT / JL cross-over. Or, they could change the style to fit who-ever owns the episode. If JL guested on TT, for example, we could see anime-style versions of the JL.

I'd much rather see a JL / JLU cross-over though. With the SS / BB cross-over and the time-travel stories in JL, the groundwork is already laid.

Jimbo

I pretty much see it like this, "Batman: TAS", "Superman: TAS", "Justice League" and "Static Shock" are all in the same time line in the same universe.

In the future, whether it's a possible, definite or alternate one, "Batman Beyond" and "The Zeta Project" are both in the same time line in the same universe.

"Teen Titans" is a separate entity, and is not part of the same universe as the above series' created by Bruce Timm and Co. It's not even the same animation style.

Trying to fit "Teen Titans" with "Justice League" is about as foreign as trying fit "Teen Titans" with the "Superfriends".

punkrockgirl

None of it is set in stone folks. Its up to the fans to decide for themselves.

Bruce Timm, the creative force behind the Batman Beyond series, said it himself: "we still maintain that B-Beyond is only a POSSIBLE future, mostly to placate the hardcore B:TAS fans who choose to believe the B-Beyond world will never happen...which is fine by me! Continuity's a fluid thing."

Also - "Ultimately, though, since we want to use Joker in JL, obviously Robin can't have killed him yet...or maybe he never WILL...ow, my head hurts..."

from: http://wf.toonzone.net/WF/sections/interviews/bt/btimminterview.htm

PunkRockGirl

staticblue

so heres a bigger noodle scratcher.

you think "The Batman" is going to be in the same univers as Teen Titan?:D

Captain_Lothar

THE MYSTERIOUS SAMURAI BAKER X
Well, inevitably, TT would have to exist. I mean, Robin HAD to be trained by Batman. If they said otherwise, then maybe I'd buy into the fact that it was it's own entity, however if they did say other wise, I'd be mad at the fact that Robin then wasn't trained by Batman at all. Of course, you'd think that there would be some kind of news about the Justice League on television once in a while. Other than, there is some continuity, just not a whole lot.
As for Robin's identity, we really shouldn't argue about it here. I'm sure there's another thread for it. I've got some ideas on who I think it is (of course the appearance of Nightwing about halfway shoots them all down) but I really won't bring them up.

As for the rest of them, I see them all falling in one single universe as well. Though TT is the more bizarre of them, I do believe it fits.

As long as each series remains consistent within itself, I dont think it matters much. They all seem to have a different take on common DC mythologies, exploring them in their own fashions. Batman Beyoned is a hypothetical "what if" that explores the life decisions of Bruce Wayne/Batman, and explores where those decisions could possibly take him. Static Shock covers what it would be like to have grow up with special powers. Similarly, Teen Titans deals with youth and adolescence, though from a superhero point of view. B:TAS, S:TAS, and JL all cover the exploits of the worlds greatest heros while in their prime. The new "The Batman" will cover the trials and tribulations that shaped Batman. Each is, arguably, a self contained world. They only cross over into the others when neccesary to promote their own themes.

Slade_Wilson

actually The new batman show does do that, but it also reinvents the mythology of batman(considering how different most of the characters look.)

Batman's shows, superman, and justice league all flow together.No doubt about that.

batman beyond is as you stated a what if, but there have been things that obvioulsy show that that future is making impressions on the past. It was shown in the static team up, and it was shown in the justice league secret society episode(where they were using zeta robots as training dummies)

Static shock plays tricks on you though.In his first 2 team ups with batman, we see him in his series 2 design with tim drake red design. episodes later in that season he shows up again with justicel league design. then in the next season he and robi reverted back to their series 2 design. You could only conclude that they wear different costumes when their on solo missions and when their with their respective teams.

Teen titans is also a tricky one. He's wearing Dick's costume, and acting a bit like dick, but he's using Tim's weapon and fighting style. then theirs his romp with starfire. Judging by is look, we can easily infer that it is tim aged a couple of years. He's nowhere as short or as tall as both robis were. But then there are the appearances in season 4 of static and the appearance of nightwing in season 2 of titans. While the nightwing factor can be chalked up as a whatif future, the static appearance cant as he looks younger in that one.

There are 2 conclusions to that and it can be said that it is seperate from the DCAU or part of it by threads of clues. Until we see the league or something appear on the show, we'll never know.

Marvel_Knight

Ahh, dammit
"Batman Beyond" could be to the Timmverse as "Kingdom Come" is to the Post-Crisis DCU. Teen Titans confuses me so I can't really talk about it, but I doubt it's part of the normal DCAU. There could be be a whole different group of Titans in the DCAU! But my threoies have been proven wrong because in a recent issue of Wizard, Wiz talked with like, the Head of CN or something, and he said and I quote, "Batman will never, EVER appear in TT." But, he did say TT was in the Batman universe (which is why Robin is in it but not Wonder Girl and Kid Flash)" It was in issue #143 so you guys could read the inteview. That is what I have to say.:confused:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel_Knight said:
"Batman Beyond" could be to the Timmverse as "Kingdom Come" is to the Post-Crisis DCU. Teen Titans confuses me so I can't really talk about it, but I doubt it's part of the normal DCAU. There could be be a whole different group of Titans in the DCAU! But my threoies have been proven wrong because in a recent issue of Wizard, Wiz talked with like, the Head of CN or something, and he said and I quote, "Batman will never, EVER appear in TT." But, he did say TT was in the Batman universe (which is why Robin is in it but not Wonder Girl and Kid Flash)" It was in issue #143 so you guys could read the inteview. That is what I have to say.:confused:
I wouldn't trust a network executive to give an accurate assessment of DCAU continuity. That's for the creater's to decide. I too think there is a different version of the Titans in the mainstream DCAU. (Probably has Tim Drake and Beast Boy.) If the Titans were ever to guest star on Static Shock I think an alternate universe is the way to go.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Tomorrow, I'm starting the Christmas edition of Media Brackets.

happy thanksgiving and stay safe
Happy Spanksgiving! I love giving Spanks! I've got a hankering for some spankering!
Asa
Have a safe Thanksgiving everyone.