Is it normal to like adult cartoons but not like the adult content?

AnimatedFan01

Although I'm more of a kids' cartoon person, there are a few adult cartoons I like such as South Park, seasons 1-6 of Family Guy, and Robot Chicken. I do also like the tamer ones such as The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers and Futurama. However for the edgier, TV-MA ones, I really am not too fond of the adult content involving incessant swearing, sex, drugs, or gory violence, but that usually doesn't stop me from enjoying them as long as it doesn't take up most of the episode. There are more to adult cartoons than just the mature content, as some can often have hidden messages and heartwarming character dynamics when they're not being edgy. South Park comes first to mind in that regard, though the kids being kids concept of the show is really what I like about it.

Does anyone else feel this way about adult cartoons?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I personally find that strange, but you do you. The only reason I like the old Simpsons is because the adult humor is very mild.

Dr.Pepper

I can understand liking the idea of the show. For example Robot Chicken does have some funny jokes, but it’s nothing I really watch on the regular because of the excessive swearing, sex jokes, etc.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
It means you have mature taste. It's not easy to see, however. You should be proud of yourself that little bit more, IMHO.

the greenman

Well, I will not suggest Heavy Metal (1981). TBH, I feel similar. I want to watch adult entertainment that makes me think and that does entertain. I can't imagine something like watching Seinfeld with profanities.

I will say some comedy like that has its place. Futurama is catered to science fiction fans who "GET" the jokes, now how far they go is rather lite.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Zorak Masaki

I like several adult cartoons, but not necessarily for the adult content, I watch for the actually witty jokes and (when it happens) the outstanding animation. There are shows (which I wont name) which are nothing BUT raunchy content and shock humor, which is what we need less of. Basically, we need more adult cartoons in the vein of The Great North or Venture Brothers.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
You just gotta find your comfort zone.

"Family Guy" and "South Park" went beyond the Simpsons and "King of the Hill", but then Adult Swim came along and had some shows that went "too adult" (or maybe it's "too juvenile"). I'm talking about stuff like "Superjail!" and "Mr. Pickles". Also, I love early 2000's Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Venture Bros. but not 2010's Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Venture Bros. There is the possibility that I just "grew up", but I still can go back and watch early Adult Swim shows (from the 2001 to 2004 years) and I still find them hilarious.

I don't care for South Park beyond Season 1. I "got the joke", found it good for a quick laugh, but then I moved on. It's too vulgar. On the other hand, I still like Family Guy, but not if it's "uncut" (I like the swear words being bleeped).

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
If we have more shows in the vein of the following, instead of everything trying so hard to copy The Simpsons/Family Guy/South Park, only to fail, things would be a lot better, IMHO:
- Close Enough/Regular Show
- Bob's Burgers/The Great North
- Final Space
- Bojack Horseman/Tuca & Bertie
- Rick & Morty/Solar Opposites (when they're not hung up on certain crappy relationships throughout their respective episodes, that is.).

.....And that's only a small handful of what I'm getting at here, honestly.

Furthermore, be unique about it. That means don't go just copying those shows Mentioned by me that I recommend, either.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
If we have more shows in the vein of the following, instead of everything trying so hard to copy The Simpsons/Family Guy/South Park, only to fail, things would be a lot better, IMHO:
- Final Space
- Rick & Morty/Solar Opposites (when they're not hung up on certain crappy relationships throughout their respective episodes, that is.).
Aren't the shows you mentioned more in the vein of The Simpsons/Family Guy/South Park?
but then Adult Swim came along and had some shows that went "too adult" (or maybe it's "too juvenile"). I'm talking about stuff like "Superjail!" and "Mr. Pickles".
Limitless creativity on whatever budget is the phrase I use. Never thought we'd get to a point, even before the pandemic's increased animation production, shows that would fit right at home with the shortlived Animation Domination High-Def between Adult Swim, Hulu and now SyFy's TGZG. I would love it if Mondo Media & Cartoon Hangover could join them with brand new toons.

The Overlord

- Final Space

.....And that's only a small handful of what I'm getting at here, honestly.

Furthermore, be unique about it. That means don't go just copying those shows Mentioned by me that I recommend, either.

Yeah, I think a lot of those shows like Close Enough and Bojack Horseman don't just rely on lewd jokes, that focus on some of the more complex aspects of being an adult show, not a 13-year-old boy's version of adult storytelling, where it is just lewd jokes.

That is why classic Simpsons were better than South Park or Family Guy because classic Simpsons didn't just rely on lewd jokes.

Last edited:

harry580

for I were to pick, I would say yes, I have mixed opinions on adult contents

I would love it if Mondo Media & Cartoon Hangover could join them with brand new toons.
mondo media tried this with happy tree friends series on g4, it didn't work well

mj20mason

You just gotta find your comfort zone.

"Family Guy" and "South Park" went beyond the Simpsons and "King of the Hill", but then Adult Swim came along and had some shows that went "too adult" (or maybe it's "too juvenile"). I'm talking about stuff like "Superjail!" and "Mr. Pickles". Also, I love early 2000's Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Venture Bros. but not 2010's Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Venture Bros. There is the possibility that I just "grew up", but I still can go back and watch early Adult Swim shows (from the 2001 to 2004 years) and I still find them hilarious.

I don't care for South Park beyond Season 1. I "got the joke", found it good for a quick laugh, but then I moved on. It's too vulgar. On the other hand, I still like Family Guy, but not if it's "uncut" (I like the swear words being bleeped).
Aqua Teen was such a unique case. Seasons 1-3 are mainly witty and surreal although they do have their moments. Mid Season 4 they were allowed to go from TV-PG/TV-14 to a TV-MA-LSV rating and they overdid it with the shock humor. But starting with Season 8 they dialed back a bit and started combining the shock humor with the wit of the first few seasons, and the rating switched again to TV-14-DLSV with an occasional MA episode. They did a great job at it IMHO.

South Park is a mixed bag. I recently rewatched the whole show and there’s a surprising amount of episodes that barely rely on shock value at all and focus on character/story based humor. But there’s at least 2-3 episodes per season where they just go real wild with the shock stuff.

I don’t mind shock value humor as long as it’s done right. But a lot of newer adult shows think that showing something graphic/offensive without a punchline or a reason is enough. So your desire for an adult cartoon without all of that is completely reasonable.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts