Is it better if Cartoon Network uses the 22-minute cartoon format in their lineup?

Latest News & Videos

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
I know I don't want to sound critical but I have to say this, I think that cartoon network should use 22-minute cartoon format in their line-up, Why? because most television channels and even streaming ones still use 22 minute or 1 hour format in their line-up while cartoon network didn't as it focus mostly on 10 minute formats.

And because cartoon network focus mostly on 10 minute format viewers just almost abandon the channel (kind of ) and it's been ongoing ever since ,If cartoon network needs to add 22 minute cartoon format in their line-up like other television and streaming channels then people will be attracted to it

So is it better that cartoon network will once again use 22-minute cartoon format in their line-up?

I know I don't want to sound critical but I have to say this, I think that cartoon network should use 22-minute cartoon format in their line-up, Why? because most television channels and even streaming ones still use 22 minute or 1 hour format in their line-up while cartoon network didn't as it focus mostly on 10 minute formats.

And because cartoon network focus mostly on 10 minute format viewers just almost abandon the channel (kind of ) and it's been ongoing ever since ,If cartoon network needs to add 22 minute cartoon format in their line-up like other television and streaming channels then people will be attracted to it

So is it better that cartoon network will once again use 22-minute cartoon format in their line-up?

Reactions: Jonathan Teka

Gatordragon

Disturbed Paladin
May 14, 2012
The Land of Flowers
First of all, is it really true that the 11-minute show format is driving viewers away? Because that sounds more like an assumption.

Also, your title confuses me as I'm out of the loop. Which upcoming shows are going to have 22-minute episodes?

I believe that a 22-minute episodic format's usefulness depends on the quality of the show that uses it (i.e. having good pacing and material that fills out the duration). Even then, a show having 22-minute episodes isn't a guarantee that it will be successful.

Reactions: MegasMilo379

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
First of all, is it really true that the 11-minute show format is driving viewers away? Because that sounds more like an assumption.
Well yeah but not only that there is no variety its just too much slice of life and weird cartoons in every show ,So I think an adventure cartoon show,an action show and a comedy show just like in the old cartoon network eras will do nicely both 11 minute and 22 minute format.

Also, your title confuses me as I'm out of the loop. Which upcoming shows are going to have 22-minute episodes?
Well any future upcoming cartoons show whether action cartoon,adventure cartoons and ordinary slice of life comedy cartoons .Amy cartoons that should be either 11 minute or 22 minute format

I believe that a 22-minute episodic format's usefulness depends on the quality of the show that uses it (i.e. having good pacing and material that fills out the duration). Even then, a show having 22-minute episodes isn't a guarantee that it will be successful.
You're right .If i am a part of the cartoon networks executives.I'll see an the first episode of an upcoming shows if its suitable for a 22 minute format along with its quality and if it's good then 22 minute format for that show will be included as in every episodes

Radical Buster

Keanu Reeves stan account
Feb 3, 2018
Indonesia
I don't think the 11-minute format is the reason viewers abandon the channel, but rather the overabundance of episodic comedies and the tonal shift of their originals in recent years.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
Okay the idea of every show having 22 minute episodes is stupid and honestly not something that Cartoon Network ever did. There have always been series split either into two 11 minute episode segments or with some of the first CN originsl, three 7 minute episode segments. We have had some shows that have had full 22 minute segments (and not just ones that were action focused either. Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends and Class of 3000 had mostly full 22 minute episodes) but they were never the only game in town and there are some shows that are perfectly fine operating in 11 minute segment form that you shouldn't stretch out for no good reason.

However thomas2313412 is asking for the opposite extreme that CN is currently going for when there should be a balance and VARIETY of show lengths. Yeah I want there to be shows that have 11 minute segments... but I also want shows that have 22 minute segments. Like seriously the fact CN not only demands their originals to mostly be 11 minute segments with only occassional 22 minute episodes is ridiculous and just asinine that now even the acquistions they don't fully own (like TotalDramarama) have to do the same. We need longer shows with more substance and plot in them to balance out the wackier more segmented shows. To have a variety and to allow for different kind of plots and set ups due to the nature of working in specific time tables. It is seriously messed up how every show is the same length and split up the same way and that is something that seriously needs to change. And you know that is Teen Titans Go's fault since yeah most of the CN originals at the start of this decade were 11 minutes but we still had Scooby Doo Mystery Incoperated or Thundercats 2011. TTG's ultra success changed executives thinking on how to market every show which IMHO is why TTG even if it isn't the worst show is one of the shows with the worst influence ever on Cartoon Network.

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
I think it would be best if Cartoon Network used the 22 minute format.
Agreed and it should air along with 11 minute cartoon bundled as 'two eleven minute' cartoon so that it should be like other channels but also balance the two formats along with different varieties.

We need longer shows with more substance and plot in them to balance out the wackier more segmented shows. To have a variety and to allow for different kind of plots and set ups due to the nature of working in specific time tables. It is seriously messed up how every show is the same length and split up the same way and that is something that seriously needs to change. And you know that is Teen Titans Go's fault since yeah most of the CN originals at the start of this decade were 11 minutes but we still had Scooby Doo Mystery Incoperated or Thundercats 2011. TTG's ultra success changed executives thinking on how to market every show which IMHO is why TTG even if it isn't the worst show is one of the shows with the worst influence ever on Cartoon Network.
Yeah,So I think it's better that cartoon network should include both 22 minute cartoons and 11 cartoons shows in one channel so that they can be balanced and to include a variety of different shows consisting of comedy and action and adventure and aim them for kid to pre teen audience just like Nickelodeon and disney channel.

Depends on the nature of the show, I can understand a comedy cartoon being 11-minutes long as writing jokes for one subject matter/plotline can be quite difficult, in a pure action show, they only have to focus on an action focused script/storyboarding and have more focus on action sequences.
True,So I think its better that cartoon network should include 22 minute format to their upcoming comedy shows so that the creative team can expand include some action-adventure shows.

Last edited: