Is HBO Max where CN's future lies?

DeanBurrito25

Between the upcoming releases of Tig N Seek, Book 3 of Infinity Train, Summer Camp Island, and even Close Enough (formerly slated for TBS), I wonder how much stock the powers that be at WarnerMedia are putting into Max as the future home for this new original animated content?

Notice how most if not all of their new output has been slated for the platform as "Max Originals". Cartoon Network still has its designated app (which is of varying quality depending on which mobile OS you prefer), and quite a few former CN originals hosted on Max are additionally still hosted on Hulu as of this post. The network appears to be in a weird transitional limbo, it seems. Granted, I don't have cable and I have no intention of getting it any time in the foreseeable future, so this has no immediate effect on me since I consume the majority of my programming through streaming and/or online anyways.

On a broader scale, it just begs speculation as to what the media landscape in general will look like by the end of this decade. Food for thought.

Reactions: RDG

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
If you think about it, then yes in addition to serving this to Boomerang and HBO Max isn't the only streaming service that serves as the future of a popular kids' channel since Disney+ is serving this to Disney Channel and Disney XD.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Between Close Enough and Tig N' Seek, HBO Max really came out swinging. Plus, the other returning shows from CN going to Max just so happen to be the ones I watch the most consistently.

So, my guess would be it's the future for their more "premiere" content.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
I would see HBO Max gaining significant influence over the next few years. Since Adult Swim will stop airing Family Guy and Bob's Burgers next year, they are most likely going to air their original content on HBO Max. The Boomerang streaming service will soon be rendered obsolete due to HBO Max airing the same content.

Dr.Pepper

Also, HBO MAX is an awful name for an all-in-one WarnerMedia streaming service.
Agreed. It should be called Warner Max (or something similar). It’s like if Disney + called themselves Pixar +. My dad said they probably did that because people are familiar with HBO as a channel, but I think Warner is a well known enough name. People are confused about what the service is. I was talking to a friend about it and she was like “Why is Friends on HBO?”

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Agreed. It should be called Warner Max (or something similar). It’s like if Disney + called themselves Pixar +. My dad said they probably did that because people are familiar with HBO as a channel, but I think Warner is a well known enough name. People are confused about what the service is. I was talking to a friend about it and she was like “Why is Friends on HBO?”

It's just when I think HBO, I think like Game of Thrones or True Blood or Sopranos. I don't think Cartoon Network, Friends, South Park, DC Universe/Comics, et al.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
As of right now, I'm going to say no. Their branding and marketing has been terrible and awful, unlike Disney+.
We're still a year+ away from any new notable animated content on that 8 month old service after SW:TCW ended its run compared to this 3 month old service releasing a new series every month it seems.
So, where does CN's future lie?
I know a few shows on the cable network have yet to be ported over, but that's about it.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
We're still a year+ away from any new notable animated content on that 8 month old service after SW:TCW ended its run compared to this 3 month old service releasing a new series every month it seems.
So, where does CN's future lie?
I know a few shows on the cable network have yet to be ported over, but that's about it.

A brand-new Phineas & Ferb animated movie debuts next month on Disney+.

Ghoster1987

howdy
i mean you look at Nickelodeon doing stuff with Netflix and now this. It's going to be the future for some shows

Darkdawn

I Am Here
It doesn't seem at all like HBO Max is the "future" of Cartoon Network or WB-produced animation.

It seems to me that AT&T is desperately hoarding lots of things that belong to Cartoon Network/Boomerang/Adult Swim just to prop up their conceptual failure of a streaming service, and are failing to understand that this hoarding mentality is further aggravating the conceptual failure (thinking that people will somehow subscribe to HBO for something called "Tig N Seek") and breeding more and more consumer resentment (i.e. "I can't stand on my own two feet with my own lineup of shows, so I'm going to forcibly snatch future seasons/specials of successful shows from elsewhere in the corporate umbrella").

BTW, betcha they're also going to hoard Final Space S3 and the remaining episodes of Primal.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
It seems to me that AT&T is desperately hoarding lots of things that belong to Cartoon Network/Boomerang/Adult Swim just to prop up their conceptual failure of a streaming service, and are failing to understand that this hoarding mentality is further aggravating the conceptual failure (thinking that people will somehow subscribe to HBO for something called "Tig N Seek") and breeding more and more consumer resentment (i.e. "I can't stand on my own two feet with my own lineup of shows, so I'm going to forcibly snatch future seasons/specials of successful shows from elsewhere in the corporate umbrella").
I wouldn't really say that AT&T are desperate when it comes to stuff like that. I just think they need to take things one at a time and I feel like it's too early to call it a failure, given that it launched two months ago, so I think they'll eventually improve in the long run. Also, I disagree on that HBO Max is a bad name for the service at all, given that HBO originated as a movie channel.

thomas2313412

Yeah,most likely.Cable will live on but will no longer be what we are familiar with as streaming is the new television like what happened with radio after television overthrows it.

chocolate

Mentally Still in 2016
I wouldn't mind as HBO Max is actually amazing and offers a variety of television programming and movies. Close Enough on HBO Max was a good idea as we weren't expected to get it any time soon before the trailer and announcement. Their content on the new streaming service may be testing the waters for reactions and hopefully it's successful.

IDistractedYou

Perky Prince of Painful Puns
From what we are seeing I think HBO Max will eventually be the catch all for all WB Owned properties/channels. We see that with DC Universe content being on there and shows that are distributed by WB Television. I would imagine you'll eventually have a DC section or Cartoon Network section. a CW section, etc. Given the sheer amount of content Time Warner owns it could put a hurting on the other streaming services but their roll out and accuracy of advertising has left it lacking. (Not all shows available right away, etc.)

Action!

I don't think it is right now but eventually it will be.

Dudley

Staff member
Is CN even getting any new shows? if not, id start to get worried about the channel's future.
they might start filling it up with third-party programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Is CN even getting any new shows? if not, id start to get worried about the channel's future.
they might start filling it up with third-party programming.
I think there's another We Bare Bears series coming, Elliott from Earth, and a European co-production involving the Gumball showrunners. So at least 3.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
a European co-production involving the Gumball showrunners
Do you mean "The Heroic Quest of the Valiant Prince Ivandoe"? That premiered in Europe in November 2017 and has aired all over Europe. It is clearly not coming to the USA.

But you are right that there are three series coming to CN:
-Wee Bare Bears / We Baby Bears
-Elliott from Earth (produced in Europe)
-Lucas the Spider (acquisition)

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I wouldn't really say that AT&T are desperate when it comes to stuff like that. I just think they need to take things one at a time and I feel like it's too early to call it a failure, given that it launched two months ago, so I think they'll eventually improve in the long run. Also, I disagree on that HBO Max is a bad name for the service at all, given that HBO originated as a movie channel.

Their launch was definitely a failure out of the gate IMO. Their branding is also terrible. They need a new name for this service.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts