Is HBO Max where CN's future lies?

AdrenalineRush1996

Their launch was definitely a failure out of the gate IMO. Their branding is also terrible. They need a new name for this service.
Here's the thing. People like you are just quick to dismiss HBO Max and label it as a failure two months after launch and no, they don't need a new name just because you think the branding is terrible. Also, I do think they will improve in the long run, so I can definitely see the Big Five of streaming (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu and Apple TV+) ultimately become the Big Six by the time they improve.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Sure, it's just my opinion, but other industry analysts have echoed my sentiments:

Here's a good example of the branding problem with HBO Max:

While Disney came in for some downbeat assessment elsewhere on the call, Moffett praised the “theme park” approach to navigation on Disney+, which emphasizes five brands: Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Disney. Given the paucity of originals on Disney+, Nathanson agreed that it was a “clever” approach by Disney.

On HBO Max, by contrast, “The brands don’t resonate the same way because they aren’t as clear,” Moffett said.

AdrenalineRush it's fine you don't agree. That said, I'm still not convinced AT&T buying WarnerMedia was a good thing for the industry. Look how DC Ent/DC Comics is already being gutted.

Reactions: RDG

AdrenalineRush1996

I'm still not convinced AT&T buying Warner Media was a good thing for the industry. Look at how DC Ent/DC Comics is already being gutted.
I think you would say the same towards Disney buying Fox because look at how the main studio is already being gutted post-acquisition. I know you would say it.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I think you would say the same towards Disney buying Fox because look at how the main studio is already being gutted post-acquisition. I know you would say it.

Other than FOX Searchlight, very little of actual value was lost. Fox Studios was not doing a good job managing its IP and portfolio. I feel more for the 9to5 people who lost their jobs as a result of the merger. At least Disney is an actual entertainment company. AT&T is a telephone company.

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
From what I'm seeing right now, CN's ongoing lineup is on Max, their first seasons, and the completed runs of their decade's past shows. CN on HBO Max feels like the new age version of Nicktoons or DXD.
Here's a good example of the branding problem with HBO Max:
While Disney came in for some downbeat assessment elsewhere on the call, Moffett praised the “theme park” approach to navigation on Disney+, which emphasizes five brands: Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Disney. Given the paucity of originals on Disney+, Nathanson agreed that it was a “clever” approach by Disney.

On HBO Max, by contrast, “The brands don’t resonate the same way because they aren’t as clear,” Moffett said.

Just...uh, scroll to the bottom of the sidebar.
Those editorials all acknowledge the content is vast (old) or booming (new).
I love another Phineas & Ferb movie, but seriously what is up with this current crop of D+ originals?
Any other improvement would inevitably be sorted out before they become as old as other services,
especially with the recent restructuring.

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
From what I'm seeing right now, CN's ongoing lineup is on Max, their first seasons, and the completed runs of their decade's past shows. CN on HBO Max feels like the new age version of Nicktoons or DXD.

Just...uh, scroll to the bottom of the sidebar.
Those editorials all acknowledge the content is vast (old) or booming (new).
I love another Phineas & Ferb movie, but seriously what is up with this current crop of D+ originals?
Any other improvement would inevitably be sorted out before they become as old as other services,
especially with the recent restructuring.

The Disney+ layout and navigation still look better.

AdrenalineRush1996

Other than Fox Searchlight, very little of actual value was lost. Fox Studios was not doing a good job managing its IP and portfolio. I feel more for the 9to5 people who lost their jobs as a result of the merger. At least Disney is an actual entertainment company. AT&T is a telephone company.
I wouldn't say that very little of actual value was lost since a lot of planned films under 20th Century Fox were scrapped as a result of this happening but honestly, I'm just done with this because I feel like this has gone off topic and I don't want to continue this anymore. You've said your stuff and I've said my stuff, hence I'm moving on from this.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I wouldn't say that very little of actual value was lost since a lot of planned films under 20th Century Fox were scrapped as a result of this happening but honestly, I'm just done with this because I feel like this has gone off topic and I don't want to continue this anymore. You've said your stuff and I've said my stuff, hence I'm moving on from this.

It's cool AdrenalineRush1996. I think you are taking things too personally. It's chill. We're all friends here.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Think this year is the first we get any PSAs with "We're all in this together"? Think again.

(Just the first one...I think)

I wish TOM 2 didn't die. He's way better than any other TOM.
MeTV will be airing The Flintstones Meet Rockula and Frankenstone at 9 PM EST tonight. This marks the first time, I think, that the channel has aired anything Flintstones beyond the original show.
Honestly, some of the shows that aired (or currently airing) on Cartoon Network don't even warrant the TV-PG rating, I'm talking shows like Teen Titans Go!, DC Super Hero Girls, Clarence, Uncle Grandpa for example. TV-Y7 at least.