Is Courage getting a prequel?

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
CN Schedule Archive had this on his Twitter and I had to share it.

DorZXZNXgAEwgjD.jpg

I'm not sure how John R. Dilworth behaves online. Does he troll people like Jhonen Vasquez, or could this be genuine?

Last edited:

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Okay, I wasn't sure where to put this at first. Courage is a CN original, but John said he's negotiating with Boomerang right now, so even if this prequel will end up happening, it will air on Boomerang, which is why I decided to post this in the Boomerang forum and not in the CN forum.

Recently, John R. Dilworth said to a fan on Facebook that he's negotiating with Boomerang on a Courage prequel. I really hope it will happen. I have been waiting for new Courage for a very long time now.

Last edited by a moderator:

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
....well, the show creator is the one that mentioned "Boomerang" as the channel being discussed in negotiations, so we will transfer this to the "Warner Bros./Boomerang" forum (though I left a link on the Cartoon Network forum).

MOD NOTE: I combined the two threads into one thread.

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Oh great, just what we need, another CN reboot series...

People are throwing around the term "reboot" rather haphazardly. Reboot =/= sequel or prequel or midquel or whatever.
If it was a reboot, it'd be a new continuity. Much like Samurai Jack last year, this doesn't appear to be the case.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
Oh great, just what we need, another CN reboot series...
Disagree on the term...
People are throwing around the term "reboot" rather haphazardly. Reboot =/= sequel or prequel or midquel or whatever.
If it was a reboot, it'd be a new continuity. Much like Samurai Jack last year, this doesn't appear to be the case.
Agree on all of this.
It kinda ticks me off that people quickly and automatically call a new continuation of a TV show a reboot when nothing significant about it has changed--just (mostly) same actors, characters, producers and locales. I'd like to call them (like this one, if confirmed) a revival. I usually go with "reboot" as I prefer not having other people whine at me about it.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Agree on all of this.
It kinda ticks me off that people quickly and automatically call a new continuation of a TV show a reboot when nothing significant about it has changed--just (mostly) same actors, characters, producers and locales. I'd like to call them (like this one, if confirmed) a revival. I usually go with "reboot" as I prefer not having other people whine at me about it.
Okay, okay, I get it. It's not a reboot.

Most people were satisfied with Samurai Jack S5.
That's because it was finishing the story that was previously unfinished. This is going to be a prequel, which means it will involve baby Courage and it will obviously have no scary scenes whatsoever. And they'll probably screw up the designs and add dabbing.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
it will involve baby Courage and it will obviously have no scary scenes whatsoever.
Watch "Remembrance of Courage Past". Lots of scary moments.
And they'll probably screw up the designs and add dabbing.
Why would John R. Dilworth want to ruin his own show / special?

Why are you always so pessimistic? Cheer up a little. :woody:

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Does it need to be a prequel? I never really watched the show but are there a ton of unanswered questions about Courage's past? Unless they killed off the entire cast in the series finale I don't see the need for this. They should probably just pick up where they left off.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Does it need to be a prequel? I never really watched the show but are there a ton of unanswered questions about Courage's past? Unless they killed off the entire cast in the series finale I don't see the need for this. They should probably just pick up where they left off.
So, yeah, the only possible way I could see this series working is like a Baby version, or A Pup Named Courage The Cowardly Dog. There's no other real reason to make it a prequel. And frankly nobody asked for Courage Babies anyways.

Dr.Pepper

Why a prequel? Courage is a dog so he can’t be more that a few years old. His owners are elderly so would they really be that different five years ago? How would a prequel work?

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Okay, on one hand. If John is working on any potential prequel it might be good.

On the other hand...I really just don't trust CN or WB with reboots anymore, even if the original creator was somehow involved.

Courage
is one of my all time favorite cartoon, and tv series period, I really don't want it's legacy to be soiled by shortsighted producers and tv execs who only see it as an exploitable ip.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Why a prequel? Courage is a dog so he can’t be more that a few years old. His owners are elderly so would they really be that different five years ago? How would a prequel work?
Dogs easily get 15 years old unless they're purebred.

I am pretty sure a prequel means Courage' life with his parents, before he met Muriel.

I personally think it would be a nice twist on the original series. Courage can finally talk whenever he wants. And no more Eustace. (he's alright but 52 episodes of him is more than enough)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts