Is Batman: Under The Red Hood overrated?

-batmat-

If anything is overrated, its Mask of the Phantasm. The animation and artwork looks old and dated at this point.
If that original poll I posted proves anything, is that Mask Of The Phantasm is still very underrated in most people's view.

Mask Of The Phantasm is one of my favorite movies of all time. There's little wrong I find in it. And on top of it, if you consider it was made in 8 MONTHS when most animated movies take more than 2 years to get made, it's even more impressive.

I agree with ShadowStar, Gotham has never looked better than it did in Batman The Animated Series. There's just something about those backgrounds and that design that hasn't been improved yet.

New movies are digitally painted and have a cleaner feel to them, but that means it looses all the grit that a place like Gotham and the world of Batman should have.

My only 2 issues with MOTP is the whole fullscreen/widescreen thing, it's not as clear as ROTJ where it's clear that it was animated with 16:9 in mind. That, and the horrible end credits music. Product of its time I guess. Completely ruins the mood when you finish watching the movie to me.

---------------------------

But still, going back to the original topic, no one really answered the question. No doubt Under The Red Hood is another spectacular Batman movie, but how is it considered SO much better than the others? What does it do THAT much better than the others? Where does it triumph where the other's don't?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
But still, going back to the original topic, no one really answered the question. No doubt Under The Red Hood is another spectacular Batman movie, but how is it considered SO much better than the others? What does it do THAT much better than the others? Where does it triumph where the other's don't?
I guess people liked it was the rare time when Batman fought a former protege or had to deal with a past failure.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
I agree with ShadowStar, Gotham has never looked better than it did in Batman The Animated Series. There's just something about those backgrounds and that design that hasn't been improved yet. New movies are digitally painted and have a cleaner feel to them, but that means it looses all the grit that a place like Gotham and the world of Batman should have.

You've hit the nail on the head. What you describe became painfully evident in The Mystery of the Batwoman and Batman and Harley Quinn. Gotham became a rather bland place. I also wonder if this has something to do with the absence of Eric Radomski and the terrific airbrush artists who worked on BTAS.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
No doubt Under The Red Hood is another spectacular Batman movie, but how is it considered SO much better than the others? What does it do THAT much better than the others? Where does it triumph where the other's don't?
I thought the points for why this one is so highly regarded were made well enough.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts