International Toonami Channels Thread

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
BlooMac said:
Basically without Dragonball Super and Justice League Action, this channel would just be a bunch of 5+-year old reruns.
They also air DC Super Friends shorts :D

Francisque

They don't seem they cater ads either (or just have very short ad breaks: which I doubt, looking at the timing slots).. while some despise the ads, their presence could be a sign the channel is healthy, particularly when it comes to non-premium channels

And this one, ehm,doesn't seem that healthy, particularly because of all the reruns
Basically without Dragonball Super and Justice League Action, this channel would just be a bunch of 5+-year old reruns.
With some censorship too.. so much potential, not used
This version is worse than Toonami UK was

BlooMac

No ads on the channel. A normal break would consist of a Next bumper, promo and an ident. And of course, there's no interruption during an episode.

As for the channel's content, they've managed to air some PG-13 DC animated movies and also The Killing Joke, which is rated R, but somehow censored enough to air on a supposed kids channel.

Like I've said before, the channel should target teens and adults like the US version. There's not enough new content that could fit the channel's theme and yet be kid-friendly. Besides, Turner already has CN, Boomerang and Boing for kids. By targeting older audiences they can air more new anime, some Toonami-funded shows (Space Dandy, Samurai Jack season 5, FLCL season 2-3) and yet continue airing new DC animated content. Older CN action shows can still air, just not that much, so it won't get stale. I wouldn't exclude having some Adult Swim block at night, that way there would be a French TV outlet for Adult Swim shows again.

animegamer

Looks like Toonami India will air DB Super in place of DBZ starting from 1st Jan.

SpaceCowboy

Toonami Asia's still a kid's block I see. Is the American Toonami the only one on an adult block?

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
I'm kind of expecting Toonami Asia to shutdown soon. The channel's website is hugely out of date, they haven't added a single new show since Dragon Ball Super premiered in December 2016, the social media feeds are all inactive, and the Indian channel turned into a retro channel.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Then someone should record continuities before it does. CN India HD as a replacement sounds nice though, which also implies the channel should switch to 16:9 finally.

animegamer

I could record one, but all the promos shown are already available on their FB Page. There aren’t any idents or anything.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Given Turner's current business structure outside of the USA, action and anime content might not be lucrative. Also TNT Thailand only had such content in the mornings, the combined anime and reality format didn't work.

BlooMac

Nothing surprising, the Toonami channels weren't very good to begin with and relied on old reruns, very few new shows and some of them didn't really fit (Sonic Boom, Exchange Student Zero). And since they were targeting kids, they couldn't air anything from US Toonami, aside from Dragon Ball Super.

One of the reasons Toonami is doing good in the US (and was even revived) is the presentation and marketing. It really gets you excited and connected with the block. The international versions are pretty generic. Imagine if the US had a Toonami block without TOM and the epic promos/bumpers, it would have been gone in a few years and it would have been as missed as Super Adventures, Power Zone, SVES and You Are Here.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
These are signs that Toonami outside of the USA is just stagnant. Let's see:
  1. Lack of new content (considering that there has been a massive content shift);
  2. The massive trend of having less and less action cartoons targeting kids (they just want either comedy series or usually pre-school shows that teach lessons, just like in Portugal);
  3. Censorship (see page 5);
  4. Low ratings;
  5. Lack of a fan-built community;
  6. Lack of marketing;
  7. Lack of availability in larger providers (see the issue with DSTV);
  8. No actual anime that isn't DBS because it's strictly for kids;
  9. Basic demographic error abroad;

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts