International Toonami Channels Thread

BlooMac

It would have made more sense if they actually rebranded the channel to Boomerang, rather than keeping the Toonami name. Also, CN India airs some classic CN shows, as well as POGO, which is also a Turner-owned kids channel.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Rebranding it as a classic cartoon channel just feels wrong, Boomerang India, which has been expected for over a decade, won't even launch at this rate. At least it doesn't have a mass influx of Indian content, otherwise it would be full of reruns of The Adventures of Tenali Raman.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Well, I guess that instead of bringing back an old brand that lasted only a while they wanted to capitalize on an existing one. Easier than going through another launch. True, Toonami is associated by most people with anime and action. But there's no reason why they couldn't do what they did if they think it will work. Better than closing the channel entirely. And while it is true that CN/POGO India air a set of classic CN shows, it's only a small percent of content CN India originally aired in the 90s when it launched. After the City era rebrand most of that content left and in recent years it was absent from the market completely - not just classic CN originals, but also the old HB/RS/MGM/WB content. So even if this content on Toonami might seem weird for us, it's better than ignoring it. At least it now has a home and I can guarantee you many local nostalgic viewers will appreciate it, because it was missed.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I think I found the reason why Toonami IN rebranded:

India's market it huge, population-wise there is over a billion people living in it. From what I know, many of those families are conservative because those parents don't let their kids watch action shows because they seem to corrupt the minds of young children. Kind of like what happens here, but times 1000. And then there's the issue of families trying to pay less for not expanding their TV package to include "corrupted" programming from abroad.

Toonami India's audience consisted mainly of teens and young adults. It had only one competitor, Animax, which was shut down in April and was replaced by a new channel with broad appeal, Sony YAY!, and at the time of Animax's closure, it was only available on Tata SKY. Animax was derided by most of the Indian society because "anime is not good for kids" yet it was on the kids section of Tata SKY, partly because it used to have a kids block in Hindi. When Portugal had Animax it was on the entertainment section of all providers.

And now, Toonami is catering the exact same demographic with shows they remember from their childhood, the notable exception being The Looney Tunes Show from 2011.

BlooMac

Here's continuity from Toonami France and by continuity I mean 3 bumpers I recorded from a single break before the stream died:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I think that Toonami Africa uses those graphics too since they're now run by the French team. DBS premiered on Toonami there, though the channel is not widespread.

animegamer

Did Toonami India post a Fairly Odd Parents gif??

Capture4.JPG

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Now that is weird, considering that they are a Turner channel and they shouldn't use FOP GIFs, but maybe it's because someone at Turner India didn't find proper GIFs related to the old CN?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Not in India. Most of the classic old shows left the schedule long ago. Action and anime in India isn't as strong as nostalgia. This rebrand for their market makes perfect sense.
Yeah, India and Latin America are markets where old shows are still popular.

animegamer

Is Toonami Asia dead? The website is extremely outdated, surprised that they still update the schedule.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts