International Disney Networks Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Breaking News: Disney Channel UK, Disney XD UK and Disney Junior UK will cease broadcasting at the end of September. According to Disney, negotiations failed with Sky and Virgin Media, but we know the real reason is Disney+. Disney To Close Kids Channels In The UK Following Launch Of Disney+

Also what's strange is that Disney Channel UK will cease broadcasting on its 25th Birthday (1st October 1995 - 30th September 2020).

Last edited:

Francisque

You can start telling that the Disney channels are slowly/quickly becoming dead when a "rich" and healthy market like the UK happens to do such a move

I was about to post exactly the same thing.. at least, we won't feel alone in Italy anymore :D

I feel very surprised to be honest, I thought it was just one of those odd moves by the Italian team, instead, closures are quickly becoming global

We can only expect more closures everywhere in Europe and beyond, where the service will be available

Hence, I can see France doing the same, after having winded down Disney Channel as an almost-free service

Spain, Germany will be more difficult, due to their Disney Channel being fully FTA

Now, expect especially Disney Channel Netherlands to close down, after all this time with a Disney+ service.. maybe they'll just keep Disney XD on the shared Disney XD/Veronica, or maybe not @Red Arrow :D

RegularCapital

Staff member
You can start telling that the Disney channels are slowly/quickly becoming dead when a "rich" and healthy market like the UK happens to do such a move

I was about to post exactly the same thing.. at least, we won't feel alone in Italy anymore :D

I feel very surprised to be honest, I thought it was just one of those odd moves by the Italian team, instead, closures are quickly becoming global

We can only expect more closures everywhere in Europe and beyond, where the service will be available

Hence, I can see France doing the same, after having winded down Disney Channel as an almost-free service

Spain, Germany will be more difficult, due to their Disney Channel being fully FTA

Now, expect especially Disney Channel Netherlands to close down, after all this time with a Disney+ service.. maybe they'll just keep Disney XD on the shared Disney XD/Veronica, or maybe not @Red Arrow :D

I agree that the countries with the FTA Disney Channels will more likely not close and will have a bit more difficulty justifying Disney+. They will be marketed a bit more persuasively, like saying there's no ads, there's movies and secondary channel content from XD and Junior or at a lower introductory cost.

After hearing David Levine leaving, I'm not surprised by the move that was announced today, I knew that this was a big clue behind this decision. Didn't think it was just Italy from the beginning, the ratings are very low here.

Canal+ in France has a channel carriage continuity deal with Disney when they signed the Disney+ deal, but this can change suddenly.

I guess this means Veronica can finally go 24 hours a day if DXD NL goes.

As it stands, the UK/EU trade deal won't include broadcasting, so the closure may have something to do with this, with the channel technical staff for the remaining channels moving back to their respective regions or a EU country with less regulations e.g. Netherlands, Czechia or Estonia. Disney EMEA HQ will still be in London though.

Another theory is that the feeds may of moved back to the UK in the first place to prepare for closure so it would be easier to hand back licences in one go to one broadcasting authority, it was odd that they were moving the feeds to the UK when a deal is still being discussed.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Even a rich market like the UK, which should have kept at least one channel, the main channel, Disney Channel, is suffering.

I don't know if a) there are many cord-cutters in the UK; and b) how Disney Channel UK's ratings are. Oficially it's because Disney refused to sign a deal to renew its carriage on both SKY and Virgin Media - is this a reflex of what happened in Singapore?

Kraventhorn just called another channel for the wheel of epheons.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
Breaking News: Disney Channel UK, Disney XD UK and Disney Junior UK will cease broadcasting at the end of September. According to Disney, negotiations failed with Sky and Virgin Media, but we know the real reason is Disney+. Disney To Close Kids Channels In The UK Following Launch Of Disney+

Also what's strange is that Disney Channel UK will cease broadcasting on its 25th Birthday (1st October 1995 - 30th September 2020).
The circle will be full in the closure day.

From what I know from DC UK's wikipedia page the first thing that was aired on the launch day was "The Jungle Book", I wonder if they air the movie as the final thing at the closure day.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Even a rich market like the UK, which should have kept at least one channel, the main channel, Disney Channel, is suffering.

I don't know if a) there are many cord-cutters in the UK; and b) how Disney Channel UK's ratings are. Oficially it's because Disney refused to sign a deal to renew its carriage on both SKY and Virgin Media - is this a reflex of what happened in Singapore?

Kraventhorn just called another channel for the wheel of epheons.

It's all or nothing, Disney wouldn't like to keep just one channel, as it would look like a big downgrade, Disney doesn't like to admit failure. One channel going is okay, but when there's one remaining, you might as well close the lot. As discussed several times, Disney UK's channels don't have good ratings.

You need to read in-between the lines, Disney is pointing the finger at Sky and Virgin for the reason why they can't make a deal, Disney+ is the real reason why a deal couldn't be made. Also Sky already has a distribution deal for Disney+ and O2 (soon to merge with Virgin) also has a deal, so the loss isn't much of a problem to them.

Last edited:

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Gabby Duran & the Unsittables in coming to DC EMEA, this summer.

Now we know how the Summer graphics will look like in EMEA/CEE.

That is... insanely sad. I had to read it twice. Will it help EMEA/CEE feeds by giving them more spotlight or actually dramatically hurt them? Disney+ should launch in CEE in November. Maybe CZHU will close down in January?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I guess this means Veronica can finally go 24 hours a day if DXD NL goes.
That's a very big IF. It has been a basic channel since 1997. It is more important than Disney Channel UK. Sure, it launched in 1995, but as a premium channel.

If Disney XD closes down in the USA, then Disney XD NL could turn into a Disney Channel block.

Don't get me wrong, I do find it sad that Disney Channel UK is closing down, and I fear for DC BE. If DC FR closes down, then I know that DC BE is doomed as well, no doubt. But for now I stay mildly optimistic, because Disney XD already closed down in France and Belgium, so I believe they still have faith in our Disney Channels.

Lkoui

I still think DC NL will remain. My tv provider has renewed the deal with Disney last year.

XD could change into Channel. They’re airing promos from the main channel on their XD block.

kanc

wow... most of International disney channels shut down, thats sad, and not surprising..

Francisque

If Disney XD closes down in the USA, then Disney XD NL could turn into a Disney Channel block.

Don't get me wrong, I do find it sad that Disney Channel UK is closing down, and I fear for DC BE. If DC FR closes down, then I know that DC BE is doomed as well, no doubt. But for now I stay mildly optimistic, because Disney XD already closed down in France and Belgium, so I believe they still have faith in our Disney Channels.
More like they'll just throw away any association with Disney XD in the Netherlands, since it's not a very valuable brand, as we've seen with Italy, Australia etc. Even current Disney XD EMEA schedules are nothing to scream about

I believe they wrong from day 1, when they decided to replace Jetix on Jetix/Veronica with Disney XD, instead of the more "basic" Disney Channel
The fact in the NL Disney XD is free while Disney Channel is behind paywall seems a tad strange to me

It'll have to be seen whether/when they'll close down the channels in Benelux, but for me, it's just a matter of time, especially in the Netherlands, where the service has existed for 1 year now
Probably replacing the Dutch team with the French one was a part 1 of this process (as in Australia, where part 1 of the process was to replace the old Australian team with the Asian one + removing any advertising from the channel, just promos)

@RegularCapital even Disney Italian channels didn't have good ratings.. the thing is, Italy is spoiled with too much choice with the kids section, especially FTA channels
Plus,a Disney top show was Miraculous, which you could watch also on Super!.

Nickelodeon gets higher ratings, surprisingly enough

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I believe they wrong from day 1, when they decided to replace Jetix on Jetix/Veronica with Disney XD, instead of the more "basic" Disney Channel
The fact in the NL Disney XD is free while Disney Channel is behind paywall seems a tad strange to me
It made sense at the time. Jetix and Disney XD were targeting boys, although it did have W.I.T.C.H. and Totally Spies. Disney Channel was a VERY girly channel in 2009 / early 2010s. The CEE team wanted a more "gender neutral" network after Jetix, but the Dutch team wanted both a girl's and a boy's channel, with the boy's channel being the "main" one.

This also makes sense from a marketing point of view. Boys and girls like watching each other's programs, but boys are very reluctant to buy merchandise of girly programs, more so than vice versa.

The Dutch team couldn't have known that the Disney XD brand would get downgraded.

I would love to know how DC BE is doing in terms of ratings... The most popular kids channels should be Ketnet/Nickelodeon followed by VTM Kids/Disney Channel, but I don't know the order.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Likewise DC UK fell victim to the format many European feeds had - clinging on to the female format instead of being like the Americas, Asia or the kid that's in you.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Likewise DC UK fell victim to the format many European feeds had - clinging on to the female format instead of being like the Americas, Asia or the kid that's in you.

Yes, Disney Channel in a lot of countries became more female skewed over the years, Disney XD was more male. Nickelodeon in comparison is more gender balanced. It depends on the Disney channels available in each market and the competition.

As the Portuguese market is smaller which was the fact there was no Disney XD (making DC more gender balanced), a high take-up of cable and satellite in Portugal, the fact that Disney Channel is in lower packages and has high ratings in comparison to other channels, I think Disney Channel and Disney Junior will be available in Portugal for a few more years to come.

Disney themselves have admitted every market is different, and won't be closing down channels in every country. Disney goes all in on Disney+ as it shuts down kids channels in UK

Last edited:

ltw9719

Unofficial Disney Channel Korea Social Ambassador
DISNEY CHANNEL KOREA SCHEDULE FOR MONDAY, JUNE 22, 2020 - FRIDAY, JUNE 26, 2020
00:00 Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama (Mon) / Super Hams Band (Tue) / Let's Go to School, Kong (Wed) / Pandarang (Thu) / Cuby Zoo (Fri)
03:40 PriPara (Tue-Wed) / The Mickey Mouse Club (Thu-Fri)
04:00 Kids CSI (Fri)
06:00 Vroomiz
06:30 Sunny Bunnies
06:50 Rainbow Ruby* (Mon) / Hello Jadoo (Tue-Thu) / Play-Doh on Disney Junior (Fri)
07:00 Kiratto Pri Chan* (Fri)
07:20 Play-Doh on Disney Junior (Mon-Thu)
07:30 Catch! Teenieping (* on Fri)
08:00 Sofia the First
08:30 The Octonauts
09:00 Doc McStuffins: Toy Hospital
09:30 Super Wings
10:00 Catch! Teenieping
10:30 Descendants (Dub) (Mon) / Descendants 2 (Dub) (Tue) / Under the Sea: A Descendants Short Story (Wed) / Pororo, Cyberspace Adventure (Thu) / Pororo, The Racing Adventure (Fri)
10:40 Descendants 3 (Dub) (Wed)
12:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Thu-Fri)
12:30 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Mon-Tue)
13:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Wed)
14:30 Hello Jadoo (Thu-Fri)
15:00 Hello Jadoo (Mon-Wed)
16:00 Inside Out (Mon) / Finding Nemo (Tue) / Brave (Dub) (Wed) / The Incredibles (Thu) / A Bug's Life (Fri)
17:55 Mickey Mouse (Mon)
18:00 The Owl House* (Mon) / Sofia the First (Tue) / Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure (Wed) / Tangled (Thu) / Elena of Avalor (Fri)
19:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Mon-Tue) / Catch! Teenieping (Fri)
19:30 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Wed,Fri)
20:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Thu)
21:00 Hello Jadoo (Mon-Tue)
21:30 Hello Jadoo (Wed)
22:00 Hanging On! (Mon-Tue,Fri) / Hello Jadoo (Thu)
22:30 Big City Greens (Wed)
23:00 Atashinchi* (Mon-Tue,Fri) / Big City Greens (Thu)
23:30 Atashinchi* (Wed-Thu)

DISNEY CHANNEL KOREA SCHEDULE FOR SATURDAY, JUNE 27, 2020 - SUNDAY, JUNE 28, 2020
00:00 Vroomiz (Sat) / Yo-kai Watch (Sun)
03:40 Yo-kai Watch (Sat)
06:00 Mickey and the Roadster Racers
06:30 Sofia the First
07:00 Vampirina
07:20 Play-Doh on Disney Junior
07:30 Titipo Titipo (* on Sat)
08:00 Finding Nemo (Sat) / Finding Dory (Sun)
10:00 Elena of Avalor (Sat) / Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Sun)
11:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Sat)
12:00 Hello Jadoo (Sun)
13:00 Hello Jadoo (Sat)
13:30 Elena of Avalor (Sun)
14:30 Catch! Teenieping (Sat) / Hanging On! (Sun)
15:00 Hanging On!* (Sat)
16:00 WALL-E (Sat) / Up (Sun)
17:55 Mickey Mouse (Sun)
18:00 The Owl House (Sat) / Marvel Future Avengers* (Sun)
19:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
20:00 Wreck-It-Ralph (Dub) (Sat)
21:00 The Owl House (Sun)
22:00 Hanging On!
23:00 Atashinchi*

All times KST (UTC+9). Start time subject to change. * denotes new episode(s).

Here's the actual schedule of DC Korea for this week. I forgot to say last week that The Sound of Your Heart, which appeared almost every day on DC Korea's schedule since its network premiere almost three years ago, eventually disappeared as of last Thursday, with Hanging On! apparently taking over the position.

DISNEY CHANNEL KOREA SCHEDULE FOR MONDAY, JUNE 29, 2020 - FRIDAY, JULY 3, 2020
00:00 A.N.T. Farm (Mon) / Lab Rats (Tue) / Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Live (Wed-Fri)
06:00 Vroomiz (Mon-Tue) / Franky & Friends (Wed-Fri)
06:30 Sunny Bunnies
06:50 Rainbow Ruby* (Mon) / Hello Jadoo (Tue-Thu) / Play-Doh on Disney Junior (Fri)
07:00 Kiratto Pri Chan* (Fri)
07:20 Play-Doh on Disney Junior (Mon-Thu)
07:30 Catch! Teenieping (* on Fri)
08:00 Sofia the First
08:30 The Octonauts
09:00 Doc McStuffins: Toy Hospital
09:30 Super Wings (Mon-Wed) / Fancy Nancy (Thu-Fri)
10:00 Catch! Teenieping
10:30 Elena of Avalor
11:30 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
14:00 Star vs. the Forces of Evil
15:00 Hello Jadoo
16:00 Pororo, Cyberspace Adventure (Mon) / Pororo, The Racing Adventure (Tue) / Big Hero 6 (Dub) (Wed) / Up (Thu) / Aladdin (Fri)
17:30 The Owl House* (Mon) / Star vs. the Forces of Evil (Tue) / Elena of Avalor (Fri)
18:00 Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure (Wed) / Zootopia (Thu)
18:30 Catch! Teenieping (Fri)
19:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Mon-Wed)
19:30 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Fri)
20:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Thu)
21:00 Hello Jadoo (Mon-Tue)
21:30 Hello Jadoo (Wed-Thu)
22:00 Hanging On! (Mon-Tue,Fri)
22:30 Big City Greens (Wed-Thu)
23:00 Atashinchi* (Mon-Tue) / Jonas* (Fri)
23:30 Jonas* (Wed-Thu)

DISNEY CHANNEL KOREA SCHEDULE FOR SATURDAY, JULY 4, 2020 - SUNDAY, JULY 5, 2020
00:00 Super Hams Band 2 (Sat) / Robocar Poli (Sun)
06:00 Mickey and the Roadster Racers
06:30 Sofia the First
07:00 Vampirina
07:20 Play-Doh on Disney Junior
07:30 Titipo Titipo (* on Sat)
08:00 Moana (Sat) / Zootopia (Sun)
10:00 Zombies 2* (Dub) (Sat) / Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Sun)
12:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Sat) / Hello Jadoo (Sun)
13:30 Hello Jadoo (Sat) / Elena of Avalor (Sun)
14:30 Hanging On! (Sun)
15:00 Hanging On!* (Sat)
16:00 Beauty and the Beast (Sat) / Tangled (Sun)
17:30 The Owl House (Sat)
18:00 Marvel Future Avengers* (Sun)
18:30 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Sat)
19:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Sun)
20:00 Inside Out (Sat) / Zombies 2 (Sun)
22:00 Hanging On!
23:00 Jonas*

All times KST (UTC+9). Subject to change. * denotes new episode(s).

And here's DC Korea's schedule for next week. There are new episodes of Rainbow Ruby, The Owl House, Atashinchi, Jonas, Kiratto Pri Chan, Catch! Teenieping, Titipo Titipo, Hanging On! and Marvel Future Avengers.

Meanwhile, here's the trailer of Zombies 2, which will premiere next Saturday at 10am.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Current programming on the British feed at closing announcement time:
Bunk'd
Raven's Home
Coop & Cami Ask the World
101 Dalmatian Street
Sydney to the Max (not airing here)
Just Roll With It (not airing here)
Gabby Duran & The Unsittables

Third-party series:
Miraculous Ladybug
Go Away, Unicorn! (here on RTP 2)
Penny on M.A.R.S. (here on SIC K)
Sadie Sparks
Best Bugs Forever (not airing here)

Really depressing IMO. Not even Amphibia or The Owl House are there.

Francisque

To be fair, there are many shows on DC UK than that, e.g. Liv and Maddie and Jessie

You must've caught weekend marathons or similar

But yes, there's a lack of variety on DC UK, mostly because DXD UK (unlike in the US) is on the same package as DC UK, so, if you want to watch toons, you can get them on the "other channel"

Surprisingly enough, they haven't got The Owl House yet
Yes, Disney Channel in a lot of countries became more female skewed over the years, Disney XD was more male. Nickelodeon in comparison is more gender balanced. It depends on the Disney channels available in each market and the competition.

As the Portuguese market is smaller which was the fact there was no Disney XD (making DC more gender balanced), a high take-up of cable and satellite in Portugal, the fact that Disney Channel is in lower packages and has high ratings in comparison to other channels, I think Disney Channel and Disney Junior will be available in Portugal for a few more years to come.

Disney themselves have admitted every market is different, and won't be closing down channels in every country. Disney goes all in on Disney+ as it shuts down kids channels in UK
Well, there's no gender distinction among the Disney channels, mostly

Disney XD is more toons, Disney Channel more of a mixture

But yeah, the size of the market does make a difference.. here in Italy, for instance, with almost 60 milion inhabitants, there's more competition for Disney Channel, with RAI Gulp, RAI Yoyo, Boing, Cartoonito, Super!, K2 and Frisbee (and these are just the FTA ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts