International Disney Networks Thread Part 7

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
A little late, but here's the history of the decisions that secretly made Portugal a hotbed for all these recent cutting measures that led to the creation of Disney+.

So basically Disney was a little smart and thought Disney would launch one channel, largely because most Portuguese people were still using analog cable. Back in 2001, comparatively speaking, Portugal was a smaller power and it still is. For instance: instead of having localized Discovery channels, our Discovery is semi-localized from Discovery ES while the other channels are the CEE feeds with PT timings added, all under Dutch licenses. However when they launched in Scandinavia, where digital cable and satellite were starting to become the norm, they launched three channels at once.

Disney only launched a second channel in Portugal in 2008, and this time it was Disney Cinemagic. Its Portuguese feed was the only Disney Cinemagic to launch from scratch as opposed to replacing Toon Disney, a channel Portugal never got. The channel was initially exclusive to ZON and within a year was on every provider except MEO for reasons I never understood. Within weeks, ZON and later the other providers added an HD feed of Disney Cinemagic. Made sense because it was a film channel (and hosted some of the latest premieres) but half of the schedule consisted of old Disney shows (and about two hours of third-party shows to get the EU quota running) that were no longer in high demand.

The funny thing is that we were going to get a Jetix channel in 2005, there was even a license but it never materalized. Same goes to the intended British GXT.

In 2011, Disney Channel starts HD broadcasts in Spain, at the same time both countries premiere entire episodes of DC shows on Disney Cinemagic VIP on Sundays. This meant that Disney Cinemagic was able to air shows from Disney Channel in HD. However this didn't last long in Portugal. In September 2012 ZON subscribers were announced that the channel would be discontinued and that surprises were coming. I was expecting that the HD channel was to be given to Disney Channel, but they failed their promise. Instead of splitting Disney Cinemagic in two (Disney Junior and Disney XD), they simply gave us Disney Junior, aligning ourselves with DC CEE in terms of who's rich and who's poor market-wise. The difference is that DC CEE used to be Jetix and we always had DC Portugal.

The shutdown of Disney Cinemagic was clearly the first sign of discontinuing the brand. Within epheons of seconds, Iger decided to shut down the next feed, DCM UK, and replace it with a dedicated SKY Movies Disney channel (that has since been retooled due to Disney+). Meanwhile Disney Channel, having lost its Disney Junior block after Disney Junior became a channel on every operator, was now free of having a roadblock like that but its schedule was starting to feel depressing, particularly in the overnight hours in order to comply with EU regulations. In those years I thought Disney Channel here would use those slots to air old shows, but nothing. Other European feeds have abandoned regular airing of more than five shows from more than five years before the current date at the time, even though there was no streaming platform in their eyes.

In 2018, with Disney Channel decreasing in quality (in technical terms), Disney Junior is "deprived" of writing as per Iger's obligations to merge the schedules and the promos. The same happened to Disney XD, even though we never got it because the market was too complicated to understand (like what happened when Channel I Singapore shut down). No HD channel, but at least we still have dual audio on the two channels. However Disney has plans to shut down other underperforming channels in the coming times, so that they can free up money for the launch of Disney+. Disney Junior might shut down soon since they no longer have a localized schedule since 2018. In other words, the Italian Disney Channel shut down because it was stuck in an outdated mindset that was incompatible with Asia and the Americas, in the sense that Disney Channel is a general kids channel while Disney Channel in parts of Europe was basically a channel for girls. The same is true to the outgoing DC UK. Meanwhile Disney Channel here still has high viewing figures (despite letting Phineas and Ferb miss their second summer on the channel) and regularly surpasses Canal Panda.

RegularCapital

Here's Disney Channel UK's final day schedule on 30th September in PDF form, as DigiGuide has finally published the schedule. As a sidenote, it seems that the Disney Channel +1 timeshift will continue until 1am on 1st October to finish off Descendants 3.

A little late, but here's the history of the decisions that secretly made Portugal a hotbed for all these recent cutting measures that led to the creation of Disney+.

So basically Disney was a little smart and thought Disney would launch one channel, largely because most Portuguese people were still using analog cable. Back in 2001, comparatively speaking, Portugal was a smaller power and it still is. For instance: instead of having localized Discovery channels, our Discovery is semi-localized from Discovery ES while the other channels are the CEE feeds with PT timings added, all under Dutch licenses. However when they launched in Scandinavia, where digital cable and satellite were starting to become the norm, they launched three channels at once.

Disney only launched a second channel in Portugal in 2008, and this time it was Disney Cinemagic. Its Portuguese feed was the only Disney Cinemagic to launch from scratch as opposed to replacing Toon Disney, a channel Portugal never got. The channel was initially exclusive to ZON and within a year was on every provider except MEO for reasons I never understood. Within weeks, ZON and later the other providers added an HD feed of Disney Cinemagic. Made sense because it was a film channel (and hosted some of the latest premieres) but half of the schedule consisted of old Disney shows (and about two hours of third-party shows to get the EU quota running) that were no longer in high demand.

The funny thing is that we were going to get a Jetix channel in 2005, there was even a license but it never materalized. Same goes to the intended British GXT.

In 2011, Disney Channel starts HD broadcasts in Spain, at the same time both countries premiere entire episodes of DC shows on Disney Cinemagic VIP on Sundays. This meant that Disney Cinemagic was able to air shows from Disney Channel in HD. However this didn't last long in Portugal. In September 2012 ZON subscribers were announced that the channel would be discontinued and that surprises were coming. I was expecting that the HD channel was to be given to Disney Channel, but they failed their promise. Instead of splitting Disney Cinemagic in two (Disney Junior and Disney XD), they simply gave us Disney Junior, aligning ourselves with DC CEE in terms of who's rich and who's poor market-wise. The difference is that DC CEE used to be Jetix and we always had DC Portugal.

The shutdown of Disney Cinemagic was clearly the first sign of discontinuing the brand. Within epheons of seconds, Iger decided to shut down the next feed, DCM UK, and replace it with a dedicated SKY Movies Disney channel (that has since been retooled due to Disney+). Meanwhile Disney Channel, having lost its Disney Junior block after Disney Junior became a channel on every operator, was now free of having a roadblock like that but its schedule was starting to feel depressing, particularly in the overnight hours in order to comply with EU regulations. In those years I thought Disney Channel here would use those slots to air old shows, but nothing. Other European feeds have abandoned regular airing of more than five shows from more than five years before the current date at the time, even though there was no streaming platform in their eyes.

In 2018, with Disney Channel decreasing in quality (in technical terms), Disney Junior is "deprived" of writing as per Iger's obligations to merge the schedules and the promos. The same happened to Disney XD, even though we never got it because the market was too complicated to understand (like what happened when Channel I Singapore shut down). No HD channel, but at least we still have dual audio on the two channels. However Disney has plans to shut down other underperforming channels in the coming times, so that they can free up money for the launch of Disney+. Disney Junior might shut down soon since they no longer have a localized schedule since 2018. In other words, the Italian Disney Channel shut down because it was stuck in an outdated mindset that was incompatible with Asia and the Americas, in the sense that Disney Channel is a general kids channel while Disney Channel in parts of Europe was basically a channel for girls. The same is true to the outgoing DC UK. Meanwhile Disney Channel here still has high viewing figures (despite letting Phineas and Ferb miss their second summer on the channel) and regularly surpasses Canal Panda.

I doubt that one single market influenced Disney's decision on their slight abandonment of linear TV or cost-cutting measures, Disney Channel Portugal may have influenced how the channel operates in smaller markets, especially in Europe, but not on a global scale. Overall, Disney had to look at the bigger picture. As you said, Disney Channel Portugal does well, but following the launch of Disney+ in Portugal, I'll be interested on how it will affect the viewing ratings. DC will continue to exist until there's a sufficient amount of Disney+ subscribers, but if it doesn't have an adverse effect on the channel in terms of viewership, the channel will keep airing as long as Disney keeps making money from it, or when Disney decides to put a complete end to broadcasting. As you know, I've been to Maderia (and seen your version of Disney Channel first hand, the same for France, Spain and Italy), and they have very good broadband and mobile infrastructure, it was like I was on mainland Europe, so I would imagine the rest of Portugal would be the same, so infrastructure wise, there's nothing stopping Disney+ becoming a success in Portugal.

Last edited:

ltw9719

Unofficial Disney Channel Korea Social Ambassador
DISNEY CHANNEL KOREA SCHEDULE FOR MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2020 - FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2020
00:00 ModooModoo Show (Mon) / The Little Farmer Rabby (Tue) / Z Rangers (Wed) / Art Odyssey (Thu) / Banzi's Secret Diary (Fri)
03:40 PriPara (Mon) / K.C. Undercover (Wed-Fri)
04:30 Kids CSI (Tue)
05:30 The Little Farmer Rabby (Mon)
06:00 Super Wings
06:30 Vampirina (Mon-Tue) / Puppy Dog Pals* (Wed-Fri)
06:50 Rainbow Ruby (Mon) / Play-Doh on Disney Junior (Fri)
07:00 Doc McStuffins (Tue-Thu) / Kiratto Pri Chan* (Fri)
07:20 Play-Doh on Disney Junior (Mon-Thu)
07:30 Catch! Teenieping (Mon-Thu; * on Thu) / Super Wings* (Fri)
08:00 Sofia the First
08:30 The Octonauts
09:00 Titipo Titipo (Mon-Wed) / Journey of Long (Thu-Fri)
09:30 The 7D
10:30 Hello Jadoo
12:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
14:00 Star vs. the Forces of Evil
15:00 Hello Jadoo (Mon-Thu) / Journey of Long* (Fri)
16:00 Aladdin (Mon) / Beauty and the Beast (Tue) / Moana (Wed) / The Little Mermaid (Thu) / Tangled (Fri)
17:30 Journey of Long (Mon-Tue) / Wreck-It-Ralph (Dub) (Thu)
18:00 The Owl House (Mon-Tue; * on Mon) / DuckTales (Wed) / Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Fri)
19:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Mon-Wed)
19:30 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Thu)
20:00 The Lion King (Fri)
21:00 Hello Jadoo (Mon-Tue) / The Owl House (Wed) / DuckTales (Thu)
21:30 Hanging On! (Fri)
22:00 Hanging On! (Mon-Tue,Fri) / Hello Jadoo (Wed-Thu)
23:00 Oops Ikooo* (Mon) / Rolling Stars* (Tue-Fri)

DISNEY CHANNEL KOREA SCHEDULE FOR SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2020 - SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2020
00:00 Dobi Dobi Mansion (Sat) / Super Wings (Sun)
02:20 Singibangi Show Season 2 (Sun)
03:40 K.C. Undercover (Sat)
04:30 K.C. Undercover (Sun)
06:00 Mickey Mouse Mixed-Up Adventures
06:30 Sofia the First
07:00 T.O.T.S.*
07:20 Play-Doh on Disney Junior
07:30 Journey of Long
08:00 The Incredibles (Sat) / Big Hero 6 (Dub) (Sun)
10:00 DuckTales* (Sat) / Big City Greens* (Sun)
11:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
12:30 Hello Jadoo (Sun)
13:00 Hello Jadoo (Sat)
14:00 Zootopia (Sun)
14:30 Hanging On!* (Sat)
15:30 Journey of Long (Sat)
16:00 Frozen (Dub) (Sat) / Moana (Sun)
17:50 Lego Frozen Northern Lights (Sat)
18:00 The Owl House (Sat) / Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Sun)
19:00 Inside Out (Sat) / Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars* (Sun)
20:00 Finding Nemo (Sat)
22:00 Journey of Long (Sat) / Hanging On! (Sun)
22:30 Hanging On! (Sat)
23:00 Rolling Stars*

All times KST (UTC+9). Start time subject to change. * denotes new episode(s).

Here's the actual schedule of DC Korea for this week. The scheduled premiere of the second season of Mech-X4 on Tuesday was replaced by a 2009 KBS2 animated series Rolling Stars.

DISNEY CHANNEL KOREA SCHEDULE FOR MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2020 - FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2020
00:00 Raven's Home (Mon) / Bizzardvark (Tue-Wed) / Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Thu-Fri)
06:00 Super Wings
06:30 Vampirina (Mon-Tue) / Puppy Dog Pals* (Wed-Fri)
06:50 Rainbow Ruby (Mon) / Play-Doh on Disney Junior (Fri)
07:00 Doc McStuffins (Tue-Thu) / Kiratto Pri Chan* (Fri)
07:20 Play-Doh on Disney Junior (Mon-Thu)
07:30 Catch! Teenieping (Mon-Thu; * on Thu) / Super Wings* (Fri)
08:00 Sofia the First
08:30 The Octonauts
09:00 Catch! Teenieping
09:30 The 7D
10:30 Hello Jadoo
12:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
14:00 Star vs. the Forces of Evil
15:00 Hello Jadoo (Mon-Thu) / Journey of Long* (Fri)
16:00 The Lion King (Mon) / The Incredibles (Tue) / Tangled (Wed) / Up (Thu) / Toy Story 3 (Dub) (Fri)
17:55 Mickey Mouse (Mon)
18:00 The Owl House (Mon-Tue; * on Mon) / DuckTales (Wed) / Zootopia (Thu) / Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Fri)
19:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Mon-Wed) / Wadda tv* (Thu) / The Lion King (Fri)
21:00 Hello Jadoo (Mon-Tue) / The Owl House (Wed) / Wadda tv (Thu,Fri)
22:00 Hanging On! (Mon-Tue,Fri) / Hello Jadoo (Wed-Thu)

DISNEY CHANNEL KOREA SCHEDULE FOR SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2020 - SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2020
00:00 Lab Rats (Sat) / K.C. Undercover (Sun)
04:00 Bizzardvark (Sun)
06:00 Mickey Mouse Mixed-Up Adventures*
06:30 Sofia the First
07:00 T.O.T.S. (* on Sat)
07:20 Play-Doh on Disney Junior
07:30 Journey of Long
08:00 Wreck-It-Ralph (Dub) (Sat) / Zootopia (Sun)
10:00 DuckTales* (Sat) / Big City Greens* (Sun)
11:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
12:30 Hello Jadoo (Sun)
13:00 Hello Jadoo (Sat)
14:00 Hanging On! (Sun)
14:30 Hanging On!* (Sat)
15:00 DuckTales (Sun)
15:30 Journey of Long (Sat)
16:00 Finding Dory (Sat) / Aladdin (Sun)
17:30 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir (Sun)
18:00 The Owl House (Sat)
19:00 Wadda tv (Sat) / Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars* (Sun)
20:00 Inside Out (Sun)
21:00 Hanging On! (Sat)
22:00 Journey of Long (Sat) / Wadda tv (Sun)
22:30 Hanging On! (Sat)

All times KST (UTC+9). Subject to change. * denotes new episode(s).

And here's DC Korea's schedule for next week. There are new episodes of The Owl House, Rolling Stars, Puppy Dog Pals, Catch! Teenieping, Wadda tv (season 5 premiere next Thursday), Kiratto Pri Chan, Super Wings, Journey of Long, Mickey Mouse Mixed-Up Adventures, T.O.T.S., DuckTales, Hanging On!, Big City Greens and Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars.

Speaking of the fifth season of Wadda tv which premieres next Thursday, it has only been confirmed that the season begins with a whole new cast so far ― Chong & Myung Animation and Red Tomato ― and it's unclear whether or not another cast will join and how it'll proceed.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I've seen that earlier. Disney Philippines Twitter account got raided and became a scapegoat for Disney SEA yeah.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
Especially in some Muslim countries. Hafiz Izzudin told me on Discord in June that many people in Malaysia are "very religious".

Malaysia/Singapore imposes the censorship to a regional level. A song from Milo Murphy's Law that had "lard" in it was censored regionally because lard = pork, however that ban applies to the Muslim countries and diaspora (particularly in Thailand and the Philippines). In general terms, regional channels have to censor everything to appeas all cultures, just like in India, however censorship there is out of control.

CNCN2014

Here is a teaser for Droners, which should premiere this Fall on Disney Channel in the Benelux and France.

In Fall 2019, another French cartoon about drones was made called "Team DroniX".
This looks good, but it feels like there's this weird itch I'm feeling where I've seen this before from Disney. Can't quite put my finger on it...

Rrr

I'm starting to fear that DC Scandi and the other Disney Scandi channels will close the 29th September, since all the tv schedules for DC Scandi I could find only goes to the 28th September, after that there's " no programs". Anyone have a longer schedule? :rolleyes:

Francisque

I'm starting to fear that DC Scandi and the other Disney Scandi channels will close the 29th September, since all the tv schedules for DC Scandi I could find only goes to the 28th September, after that there's " no programs". Anyone have a longer schedule? :rolleyes:
Yeah, dagenstv definitely show the full schedules after that time

Rrr

Ah, ok, thanks. About to get scared there ( but also a bit happy, DC Scandi is very tiring and un-updated at the moment) .

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Yeah, dagenstv definitely show the full schedules after that time
Disney+ is now available in all five countries but not the Baltics. I don't know if Denmark strictly limits to mainland Denmark or also includes the Faroe Islands and Greenland.

Francisque

Disney+ is now available in all five countries but not the Baltics. I don't know if Denmark strictly limits to mainland Denmark or also includes the Faroe Islands and Greenland.
Not sure, but I doubt their choice of closing down or not would be influenced by the small Baltic countries, which have always been treated as outliers by the Scandinavian team in a way or another

Said that, for now I think there's no risk of closure for the Disney channels, although I can see them easily shutting down Disney XD

ChickyBro

taiga is great
[Disney Channel Asia - October 2020]

The Owl House
On hiatus

Amphibia Season 2
Premieres October 30th
2:30pm (MAL/PHIL) 1:30pm (JKT/THAI)

Last edited:

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember when I said The Dog and Pony Show should come to Qubo? Well, it's probably not happening. Since Discovery is a co producer it will probably end up on Discovery Family and Discovery Famiila.
Did anybody notice the error just tonight on Nick? At 7:57PMish after Despicable Me 2 error?
I love the smell of rain at night and the end of Daylight Savings here.
Scott Innes apparently put up his Christmas tree....in October. It looks pretty good though.