In Memoriam: DON SHEPPARD (1917-2008)

AarHan3

Devotee of 1975 Tom & Jerry!
Courtesy of The Big Cartoon Forum:

H-B story artist, director Don Sheppard dead at 91

TV story artist and director Don Sheppard, who worked at Hanna-Barbera and many other cartoon studios, died February 21 in West Los Angeles. He was 91.

Sometimes credited as Don Shepard, he also worked for Kling Studios, La Brea Productions, Allied Film Artists, Disney, Warner Bros., UPA, Jack Kinney, Fine Arts Films, Pantomime and Marvel Productions over a career that lasted from 1955 until 1990, when he was a storyboard artist for H-B's Jetsons: The Movie.

For Format Films, he was a layout artist on the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Chaser On The Rocks and Highway Runnery (both 1965); Out And Out Rout, Shot And Bothered, Clippety Clobbered and The Solid Tin Coyote (all 1966); and The Spy Swatter, The Music Mice-Tro and Quacker Tracker (all 1967).

Sheppard was a storyboard director for the TV series Partridge Family 2200 AD (1974), The New Tom & Jerry Show (1975), Clue Club and The Mumbly Cartoon Show (both 1976), The Great Grape Ape Show (1977), Muppet Babies (1984) and G.I. Joe (1985), as well as the 1983 mini-series G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero and the Marvel specials My Little Pony (1984) and My Little Pony: Escape From Catrina (1985).

He was a storyboard artist for Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (1981-83), Dungeons & Dragons (1983), Transformers (1984), Tom and Jerry Kids Show (1991) and Droopy: Master Detective (1993).

In addition, Sheppard was a story director for Inch High, Private Eye and The Addams Family (both 1973), Skatebirds (1977), Scooby's All-Stars and Challenge of the SuperFriends (both 1978), Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo and The World's Greatest SuperFriends (both 1979), and Richie Rich and Drak Pack (both 1980), along with the 1979 TV special Scooby-Doo Goes Hollywood and Casper's Halloween Special, also a 1979 H-B release. He was the story director of Ruby-Spears' Bunnicula, The Vampire Rabbit, which aired as an ABC Weekend Special in 1982.

He was a layout artist for episodes of The Dick Tracy Show and The Yogi Bear Show (both 1961), Super President (1967), The Adventures of Gulliver (1968), Here Comes the Grump and Skyhawks (both 1969), Harlem Globe Trotters (1970), The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show (1971) and The Flintstones Comedy Hour (1972).

A production designer for Format Films' 1966 series The Lone Ranger, Sheppard was a story writer for Hanna-Barbera's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids (1973). He handled title design for the 1979 H-B series Casper and the Angels.
That's a whole lotta animation hats to wear in one career alone. To absent friends. :( :crying: :( :crying: :( :crying: :( :crying: :( :crying: :( :crying:

Wil Tha Godsson

THE LAST MAJOR
Shaylers. I'm a damn near 40yo Blakk man who remembers when the USA perpetrated,fstf, most TV animated programs. And reruns of said progs over the decades entitled me to consider myself a nephew/grandnephew of these dudes/broads,most of whom/who should be considered legendary,but evilly are not. I am a punk or DIY cartoonist who in the mid 1980s wanted to be one of the last people to perp animated progs entirely in the US. That dream never came true, though, and I resolved to explore all I could about cartooning so as to become a better 'toonist. Szra ti ta.

Great people continue to....croak. DAYAM.

Ave atque vale, my Whyte granduncle.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 15th anniversary to the Legion Of Superheroes series.

So that makes 8 shows that Nickelodeon rejected and ended up on another network.

Here's a poll I made. What platform could Big Nate come out on?

Finally i registered hungarian domain to my website: Rolcsial

Featured Posts