In 1000 years, what will people think when they look back at our society.

Bartak123

Somewhere in the deep nether realms of my mind
Originally posted by Psycho Fox
Umm without Calulus no: jet engine, broadcasting, computers,TVs,ect

So I would say calculus forever changed everything.

Well we could say the wheel is therefore the most important invention. It was eventuality...it would happen no matter what.-(though everything that happened in history is an eventuality)

The Greeks did profound things,

Philosophy, basically creating mathematics (they were the first to do proofs), make the foundations of logic and the forsight to spread their knowledge all through the world-(Alexander the Great though he is Macedonian). All of our thought is an extension of their civilization. I have a great deal of respect for them.

The leaps that they did are far more profound than say the invention of calculus or even the computer. The computer was much like the wheel, everything was leading to it. The computer also started in so many places. When we think our civilization, do we include all of the Western world?

DJ Raza

Anti-Degenerate
Well we could say the wheel is therefore the most important invention. It was eventuality...it would happen no matter what.-(though everything that happened in history is an eventuality)

Bartak has a point. It had to happen eventually, and it won't leave a mark on everyone's lives and lifestyles forever. I assure you some time in the future (at some point) "computers" will become obsolete and probably no longer be used. They'll just be replaced by something else.

Maybe computers will be around for the next 1000 years, but I'll gurantee you they won't be around forever. So they haven't altered society and lifestyles indefinitely for all time.

serenitymoon

Our civilization will probably be in ruins by that time and we as a race (the human race) will either be extinct or living on another planet like Mars or something). Other beings will probably find the ruins on Earth and try to figure our lives and cultures out... and get it all totally wrong... that compared to them we were nothing better than cavemen because we weren't that smart and destroyed our planet with pollution, war, and nuclear weapons. And think something like "Stupid creatures, do they not know a good thing when they've go it? No, they had to go and mess it all up."

The Landstander

Thanks ants. Thants.
Originally posted by Damien
Bartak, I doubt calculus forever changed anyone's lifestyle, or the means and speed by which we get information, ideas, and entertainment. Glad to see we have a math fan, though.

you obviously haven't met Mr. Tita, my math teacher. i swear he lives for calculus.

i agree with the arguements about us looking back on civilization 1000 years ago. the few people who will actually care will think we had our ups and downs.

Psycho Fox

Toonix Guru
Originally posted by DJ Raza

Maybe computers will be around for the next 1000 years, but I'll gurantee you they won't be around forever. So they haven't altered society and lifestyles indefinitely for all time.
You sure? Fire is still here and odds we will control fire indefinitetly as the wheel.

Some technology lasts.

The Landstander

Thanks ants. Thants.
hmm...i think computers are gonna remain a central part of life until the fall of western civilization (whenever that is). i just can't imagine computers just leaving the equation after how much they've affected societies in the past few decades

G. Wen

aspiring artist
Originally posted by Psycho Fox
Umm without Calulus no: jet engine, broadcasting, computers,TVs,ect

So I would say calculus forever changed everything.

The plow changed everything. With the plow, people could plant and harvest more intensely. This led to more food, which led to a settled lifestyle, which led to more people, which led to a system that was needed to manage all these people. It was the plow that made agriculture and complex civilizations possible, with its systems of govt.
1000 yrs isn't far enough into the future for people to go extinct. This is what people will think of us 1000 yrs. from now:

teacher: Today class, we will learn about the great and interesting civilization of Usa!
student 1: Who cares about a bunch of dead guys? Man, I hate history class! What's the pt. of history anyway?
student 2: Must write down everything teacher says so I can get a "A" and stay in the Honor Society!
student 3: I'm a cheerleader! *gigglegigglegigglegiggle*
student 4: I'm the angry kid who wears a lot of black. I'm angry that I'm oppressed into learning history!
student 1: *snores really loud*
teacher: Who is asleep while I lecture on this great and interesting subject of history?

DJ Raza

Anti-Degenerate
You sure? Fire is still here and odds we will control fire indefinitetly as the wheel.

That's different though. We control fire, but we didn't invent it. The wheel was invented, just like the computer. Fire was discovered, not invented.

The Landstander

Thanks ants. Thants.
Yet the invented wheel still remains an important part of modern-day life. therefore, it might be the same with computers.

Turtle25

Definitely!
Did you know a thousand years isn't that long of a time? I think that the achievements of the people of our time would be stuided in great detail, how we developed a global civilization (in general) and tried getting closer to a complete society. Of course, they would also recognise that we were a long ways off, but that's human nature.

I don't think we'll be all 'nuked' as the popular opinion dictates. The computer and audiovisual mediums allowed communication at a speed and totality impossible in the past. They'll be around for a while.

Mike Spartz

Underrated Performer
They'll probably think that the way we live now it very primative and strange compared to their highly advanced and technological existance. Then again, if the world was destroyed completely tomorrow and man had to start again from scratch, they might evny and hate us.
-just some food for thought :)

RogueMartian

Cogito Ergo Sum
I don't think our alien overlords will let us study history much.

:D

Actually, I believe that future historians will look on us the way we look on the ancient romans. A powerful and developed culture for its time. But who knows, maybe in a thousand years, the U.S. will be an insignificant speck on the timeline of human history.

Leaping Larry Jojo

Searching for a map
They'll probably think how materialistic, greedy, anti-social and selfish we were.

Then they'll proceed to order several of the latest and trendy spandex-to-anything wear of the future using their handheld data communication shopping chips.

Bartak123

Originally posted by RogueMartian
I don't think our alien overlords will let us study history much.

:D

Actually, I believe that future historians will look on us the way we look on the ancient romans. A powerful and developed culture for its time. But who knows, maybe in a thousand years, the U.S. will be an insignificant speck on the timeline of human history.

IMO I hardly think that U.S will be remembered like the Romans (a thousand years!!!). History wise even the British Empire will be remembered more than the U.S. Culturally America is still a child. Its a relatively young country. I don't want to bash America but imo I think every things gets so commericalized in America that the artistic merit goes down.

TimTwoFace

Mod, and Minotaur Bait
Re: The American Legacy

You can't deny that the US has done a lot over the last two hundred years. Then again, a lot of other countries have, too, and they'll all be remembered. The single-most important thing that the US has accomplished in recent memory has got to be the space program; say what you will about social issues (racism and sexism stuff), but being the first to land on the moon was quite a big deal.

Looking back, though, the US (and any other country at the moment) has a long way to go to be on par with what the Romans and the British Empire accomplished in their time.

-Tim

Bartak123

Originally posted by TimTwoFace
Re: The American Legacy

You can't deny that the US has done a lot over the last two hundred years. Then again, a lot of other countries have, too, and they'll all be remembered. The single-most important thing that the US has accomplished in recent memory has got to be the space program; say what you will about social issues (racism and sexism stuff), but being the first to land on the moon was quite a big deal.

Looking back, though, the US (and any other country at the moment) has a long way to go to be on par with what the Romans and the British Empire accomplished in their time.

-Tim

Well the soviets went into space first...this was quite a big deal

The domain of space cannot be totally centered on the U.S. That would be highly unfair.

And still, a lot of the space program was built on German minds. Hence, why Russia and the U.S had such good space programs.

Also, the problem is that Superpowers grow younger as time grows. I doubt the U.S will still be the dominant power in a 100 years. Though that means didly squat anything can happen in a 100 years.

Tempus

Lord of Time
They only used 10% of their BRAINS?!? They cut down trees to make paper an furniture?!? They actually drove cars that use as fuel petroleum? how primal....

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I agree with BYO. In 1000 years, the population will be vastly smaller than it is now, if it exists at all IMO. When madmen and idiots (you know which 2 people I mean) are the leaders of 2 nations (and Blair is kissing one of thier asses) then we are in big trouble.

Scary thought that in 3 years from now, you all and moi might be fighting in a war.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts