Improving Adult Swim's schedule

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

TheDaveMaybe

Film buff, film critic, and aspiring filmmaker
May 5, 2016
Ratings
Oregon, United States
I understand that fantasy schedules are not allowed, and I apologize, but I wanted to discuss improving Adult Swim's schedule, with my own ideas on what the schedule should look like. There has been a lot of complaints that Adult Swim shows too many Fox reruns, starts too early, doesn't have enough variety, repeats the same five-hour block after 5 hours, etc. I wanted to discuss what your ideas are for improving the schedule, because I have my own idea.

First, lose the the repeat block; it's pointless. Secondly, instead of airing the same 5 hour block twice, show a mixture of both comedy series and anime on weeknights. Third, preempt the block a few hours on Friday and Saturday nights; kids tend to stay up late those nights because they don't have school, and with my schedule idea, I was able to delay Adult Swim until 10 PM on Friday, and 11 PM on Saturday. I also dedicated the Friday night schedule to airing reruns of classic Adult Swim shows, like Home Movies and Sealab 2021. I also decided to make Toonami the whole schedule on Saturday nights rather than just some of it.

Discuss your schedule ideas below!

Anyway, here's my idea of the weekly Adult Swim schedule:

Monday–Thursday

8:00 PM: King of the Hill
8:30 PM: King of the Hill
9:00 PM: Bob's Burgers
9:30 PM: Bob's Burgers
10:00 PM: American Dad!
10:30 PM: American Dad!
11:00 PM: Family Guy
11:30 PM: Family Guy
12:00 AM: The Cleveland Show
12:30 AM: Rick and Morty
1:00 AM: Rick and Morty
1:30 AM: Robot Chicken
1:45 AM: Robot Chicken
2:00 AM: The Eric Andre Show
2:15 AM: The Eric Andre Show
2:30 AM: Dragon Ball
3:00 AM: Dragon Ball Z
3:30 AM: Naruto
4:00 AM: GUNDAM 0080
4:30 AM: Neon Genesis Evangelion
5:00 AM: Yu Yu Hakusho
5:30 AM: Cowboy Bebop

Friday

10:00 PM: Family Guy
10:30 PM: Rick and Morty
11:00 PM: Family Guy
11:30 PM: Rick and Morty
12:00 AM: Robot Chicken
12:15 AM: Robot Chicken
12:30 AM: The Eric Andre Show
12:45 AM: The Eric Andre Show
1:00 AM: Home Movies
1:30 AM: Space Ghost Coast to Coast
1:45 AM: Space Ghost Coast to Coast
2:00 AM: The Brak Show
2:15 AM: The Brak Show
2:30 AM: Sealab 2021
2:45 AM: Sealab 2021
3:00 AM: Harvey Birdman, Attorney At Law
3:15 AM: Harvey Birdman, Attorney At Law
3:30 AM: Aqua Teen Hunger Force
3:45 AM: Aqua Teen Hunger Force
4:00 AM: Off the Air
4:15 AM: Off the Air
4:30 AM: Williams Stream
4:45 AM: Williams Stream
5:00 AM: American Dad!
5:30 AM: The Cleveland Show

Saturday

11:00 PM: Dragon Ball Super
11:30 PM: Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters
12:00 AM: Black Clover
12:30 AM: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
1:00 AM: Mobile Suit GUNDAM: Iron-Blooded Orphans
1:30 AM: Hunter x Hunter
2:00 AM: Naruto: Shippuden
2:30 AM: Outlaw Star
3:00 AM: Space Dandy
3:30 AM: Cowboy Bebop
4:00 AM: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
4:30 AM: One Piece
5:00 AM: .hack//Roots
5:30 AM: Lupin III

Sunday

8:00 PM: King of the Hill
8:30 PM: King of the Hill
9:00 PM: Bob's Burgers
9:30 PM: American Dad!
10:00 PM: Family Guy
10:30 PM: Family Guy
11:00 PM: Rick and Morty
11:30 PM: Robot Chicken
11:45 PM: Robot Chicken
12:00 AM: Hot Streets
12:15 AM: Hot Streets
12:30 AM: The Jellies
12:45 AM: The Jellies
1:00 AM: SuperMansion
1:30 AM: Black Jesus
2:00 AM: The Cleveland Show
2:30 AM: The Cleveland Show
3:00 AM: American Dad!
3:30 AM: Rick and Morty
4:00 AM: Family Guy
4:30 AM: GUNDAM Wing
5:00 AM: Code Geass
5:30 AM: One Piece

Last edited:

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
938 16
Springfield, MO
I don't think they would be allowed to air DB or One Piece other days that aren't Saturday, since that would be very costly.
That makes it sound like they pay for an anime per episode, not just "get the broadcast rights"? I mean, if they get the rights to One Piece, they should be able to air it all week long, I would think...

Dan's Revenge

"I don't need a job, I need money." - Dan
Apr 17, 2011
Ratings
748 5
Wherever You Are ;)
www.toonzone.net
On Adult Swim, they overuse King Of The Hill, Family Guy, Cleveland Show and American Dad. O think they need to start putting in place some old shows like Harvey Birdman, Home Movies and something like that.
As fun as I think it would be, I can't help but think it lowers the ratings and convinces them to put back on the shows already there. It'd help if they had more options of something to syndicate but that seems hopeless.

Shows like Sealab, Brak, and Birdman are 11 minute series, but when it comes down to it, even if you only did one episode per night, they'd only be dragging out the series as together they make up a limited series. It'd be like 26 tv half hours to finish Sealab, roughly half of that for Brak, and Birdman is something like 20. Home Movies is a potential option to test the 8pm waters if they wanted. 52 episodes though so like Cleveland,.it wouldn't last too long and get tiring - especially when the series was already broadcast in reruns a few times. Space Ghost is another example. It had a month-long stint at 1am a few months ago, but it's also one that despite the weeknight shows have been on a long time even if less time, I don't see how even for a show like that I enjoy can be stable say on a week nightly basis.

Most of [as]'s originals honestly, I can't personally see them match up to the acquired comedies the first 4 hours of the night brings. There's a few bigger hits I could see being on par like Robot Chicken and Aqua Teen but both have been playing past midnight a few years or so now, and both again being 11 minute shows and given their count today, they'd still be run through quicker or nearly as quick as say Cleveland, so it's a hard call. In the future I could see Rick & Morty easily getting the weeknight treatment for a long time given it's high popularity. I'd prefer they go a couple or so more seasons though with a good episode count. Hopefully then the show is still fresh to viewers.

I just believe [as] needs something at least new to the channel that can maintain or even slightly heighten what's already there, but I don't really see a long-term option they could go with right now - especially when I myself may not be too familiar with similar shows.

This last portion probably a lot won't want to agree with, but given they already play live-action series, they could tinker around with sitcoms even if it happens to be one that ended for example in a decade or so ago. Among possibilities are anything aired on FOX such as Malcolm in the Middle which aired Sundays the majority of its run. [as] is completely separate from CN except for sharing the same channel space. They're not supposed to only air cartoons, so a sitcom to me is not out of the question. Just goes back to if said series can maintain an audience or better of what they have right now.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
137 13
Ohio
They could acquire more adult-animated shows already not in syndication.

Bojack Horseman is going to be syndicated and would make a great addition.

Duckman could be good too - not only for reruns, but also since a lot of other old shows are being revived with new episodes, why not revive this one too? Remember this one ended on a cliffhanger. Williams Street could animate new episodes on behalf of the show's owners, CBS Television Studios (CBS and Time Warner partner in regards to the CW and March Madness already).

The Critic is also a good idea.

And many short-lived adult animated sitcoms too.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
137 13
Ohio
By adding shows like Dilbert, The Oblongs, Mission Hill, Baby Blues, The Critic, God The Devil and Bob, Gary & Mike, 3 South, Game Over, Father of the Pride, Friday the Animated Series, The Goode Family, and Sit Down Shut Up to the lineup, you wouldn't have to run each of these shows every day, many of them just once a week (except perhaps the Critic) to add a little variety to the comedy portion of the schedule.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I'm rewatching Justice League and I'm sort of weird ed out how old Superman looked in the earlier seasons
Yeah... I just watched the end of Peepoodo... And I wish I hadn't. If I'm considered a wuss for liking Milo Murphy's Law. Big City Greens, Summer Camp Island, Clarence, Craig of the Creek, Hilda, Harvey Beaks, Harvey Street Kids and even The Loud House - not to mention LPS (2012, 2018) SO MUCH MORE because at least those shows have some constraint to not be this gross - then I could care less what you think of me.
Yeah I'm probably not coming back
I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P