If You Had The Power To Restructure The 3 Main Disney Networks, What Would You Do?

SweetShop209

I came across a thread that talked about how you could restructure Nickelodeon as a whole if you had the power to do so. I figured I would make a similar thread like that for the 3 main Disney networks: Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD. If you were in charge of Disney, how would you run these three networks? Here are a few of my ideas:

1. On the main channel, rerun the current cartoons more often. Shows like Ducktales and Big City Greens should have at least 3-4 airings a day, and not currently just one.

2. Live action sitcoms should have their reruns slashed a bit. They are a staple of the company, but they should not hinder the cartoons from reaching a greater audience.

3. For Disney Junior, the block on the main channel should be reduced. Make it more along the lines of the Nick Jr block, running it from 8am-2pm. Reruns of shows that ended a few years ago like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse should be only on the Disney Junior channel. For any recently ending shows, they can rerun on the block for a bit before going to the channel.

4. Again for Disney Junior, have a better schedule. The abundance of reruns for MMC, PJ Masks, and Puppy Dog Pals is about too much, while shows like Sofia The First, Elena Of Avalor, and The Lion Guard have their reruns reduced. I would suggest having any currently running shows have no more than 4-6 reruns a day, while shows that ended should be in the late night and early morning hours. For example, MMC should be rerun only in the midnight hours, while those like Sofia and Elena should have reruns in the day, like at 6-7am and 2-3 pm and 6-7pm.

Those are just a few ideas I have. What are yours?

If you had the power to restructure Nickelodeon as a whole, what would you do?

LinusFan303

Squeak
I join this fun
let's see
Disney Channel : Programming wise I could keep up shows like Andi Mack , Raven's Home etc, I really like the direction some of their originals have gone up in quality. I would want a few more live action series but still following a quality over quantity. I would adjust the schedule so it's not just lot of Bunk'd. Animated Series would continue as well and looking for more would be a goal as well.
I would bring back the Throwback Disney block for parts of overnights on weekends with older Disney Channel Originals, movies, and maybe splashing in some rarely seen Disney Channel stuff.
Graphics, : I like the logo , but the graphical design could be better, though keeping the wand ID's but I think they should try be a more playful again and less like smart phone text design.
Disney Jr. block continues though on weekends I would stop it and just have DC run all weekend.

Disney XD. I would air repeats of animation from Disney Channel, there would be some classic One Saturday Morning toons on the line up as well. I would expand the anime : would pick up Digimon including maybe a new series dub, Yu-Gi-oh can come over too, since Nicktoons doesn't seem interested anyway. Since Freeform has moved away from being a family network , I think Disney XD could fill that role a little more. DXP would continue. I don't think the door should be closed on the channel having some sort of originals but maybe a different direction that it was and its sister channel.

Disney Junior : Clean up the schedule a little. I think they are on a good road otherwise and at least have a clear focus.

TsWade2

Get rid of all the teen sitcoms except Raven's Home. Make Club Mickey Mouse a tv show instead of social media. Banned Hannah Montana because she's a manipulative brat. Put Mickey Mouse there more often, but banned Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Make a Disney game show based on Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. Put more animated series and animated movies.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I haven't seen any of the current kidcoms but there are people who say the current ones are a lot better than the old ones. Disney is now trying to make kidcoms that people can actually relate to. Disney is trying to get over the Hannah Montana / Shake it Up / High School Musical era where they tried to popularize futile things like your image.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
1. On the main channel, rerun the current cartoons more often. Shows like Ducktales and Big City Greens should have at least 3-4 airings a day, and not currently just one.

2. Live action sitcoms should have their reruns slashed a bit. They are a staple of the company, but they should not hinder the cartoons from reaching a greater audience.

3. For Disney Junior, the block on the main channel should be reduced. Make it more along the lines of the Nick Jr block, running it from 8am-2pm. Reruns of shows that ended a few years ago like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse should be only on the Disney Junior channel. For any recently ending shows, they can rerun on the block for a bit before going to the channel.

4. Again for Disney Junior, have a better schedule. The abundance of reruns for MMC, PJ Masks, and Puppy Dog Pals is about too much, while shows like Sofia The First, Elena Of Avalor, and The Lion Guard have their reruns reduced. I would suggest having any currently running shows have no more than 4-6 reruns a day, while shows that ended should be in the late night and early morning hours. For example, MMC should be rerun only in the midnight hours, while those like Sofia and Elena should have reruns in the day, like at 6-7am and 2-3 pm and 6-7pm.

Those are just a few ideas I have. What are yours?

If you had the power to restructure Nickelodeon as a whole, what would you do?

All of the above plus:

1. Allow recently canceled shows to still get reruns played even after their last episode airs. Shows like Wander Over Yonder should not be automatically eradicated off of the airwaves the second their finale ends.

2. Do something better with Disney XD. In 2014 the channel started to become more like an "animation hub" when Disney Channel booted their cartoons to Disney XD (except for the Mickey Mouse shorts because, you know, those deserved to stay on the main channel for some reason?) Now that Disney Channel has started airing animated series again, Disney XD is just...kind of there. I'll be honest, I haven't watched it in a while, but by looking at their current schedule, it seems like a mish-mash of animated shows, including obscure ones I haven't heard of like Looped and Grossology. I don't necessarily think that Disney should get rid of the channel, but I think a rebrand would help, perhaps bringing back that "animation hub" theme. The focus should be on picking up newly animated originals and airing a good variety of older animated shows. The channel did a little bit of this during the summer by airing marathons of shows like Fish Hooks, which I think is a step in the right direction!

3. Air more Disney animated films on Disney Channel. This seems to be a thing on Freeform and sometimes Disney Junior but not so much on the main channel. Sure, they've done it before, but not very often in my opinion. I'd love to see them have a Friday or Saturday night time slot dedicated to playing one Disney animated film each week. The films could be as old as Snow White or as new as Moana, I don't care. Animated feature films were what Disney was really known for in the earlier days, and I think a channel with the word "Disney" slapped on it should pay more respect to this.

That's all I got for now.

lowell

If Fox deal happens with regulatory approval from all the countries that need to, it's not going to be 3 main Disney networks, but 4. Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, and Disney Baby. Disney XD will likely be a Nicktoons or a Toon Disney resurrection or an output to distribute syndication of shows from the streaming service in case Disney Channel wouldn't want to air some of them after the three Marvel shows finish their runs and not sure about shows like Pokemon, etc.
Disney Baby will be somewhat of a sister channel to Disney Junior, a former BabyTV channel, and since there is shared programming with BabyFirstTV and through their 20% stake of Regency Enterprises through 20th Century Fox, they'll get 20% of a 30% stake of BabyFirstTV (which would be 6% likely), they could acquire that channel and bring the people who run that network into Disney Baby which would merge BabyTV and BabyFirstTV into one main baby channel. The more programming they have, the better for their placement on the streaming service. Plus, this is not new since Nick Jr. has 2 channels in the UK. The former BabyFirst TV could serve as a American distribution channel for Sky News whose distribution is made by Fox Networks Group never distributed to the US as a channel ever in the chance that the Fox-Sky deal goes through and Disney-Fox also goes through, Sky of Europe would be entirely owned by Disney.

Light Lucario

Staff member
With Disney Channel, I'd have a better balance of their live action and animated series on their lineup. I don't think that they're as over loaded with their live action series compared to Nickelodeon, but having a better balance wouldn't hurt, especially when they've been relying on their live action shows on the main channel for quite some time.

I'd also go for more live action series that focus on more relatable conflicts instead of just another typical kid sitcom. Raven's Home, Andi Mack and to a lesser degree Girl Meets World showed that Disney can make some really solid live action series that actually have good messages, relatable characters and some good humor. Basically, I'd want to see them making more quality live action series along the lines of these series, although I still need to catch up with Raven's Home and Andi Mack one of these days. I would catch up with Girl Meets World if the whole Shawn and Angela breakup didn't bother me so much.

Releasing their older series on DVD/iTunes would be nice. To be fair, they are doing something like this with making their old shows available on their website and On Demand, but throwing in some official releases would still be nice.

I don't keep up with Disney Junior, but I think giving its lineup a bit more variety would be fine. Maybe making it as long as Nick Jr. is on weekdays would be good too.

Disney XD is kind of in a strange situation. They used to have it be the main place to watch animated series, but now that they're putting most of their animated series back on Disney Channel, the channel doesn't have as much going for it. It's fortunately still not as bad as Nicktoons. They still promote it on the main channel, make promos for reruns of older shows getting more timeslots on XD and generally still treat it like they want to have it. Having some a few more series exclusive to Disney XD would be help with that. They'll want to have big shows on Disney Channel, but having some shows exclusive to Disney XD would still be a good option.

I'd also put the various Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon series on the lineup. Disney XD is pretty much the only channel left interested in toyetic anime and based on how they've handled Pokemon and Beyblade, I think that they would treat the Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon franchises pretty well. They would have promos and all of the series would eventually be on their website/On Demand. Even though I don't even watch the Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs anymore, the thought of every dub episode being available On Demand and new series being able to air on Disney XD still makes me happy. More people could watch the various series and it wouldn't take Disney XD over a year to air one season. Not to mention one of my favorite franchises would actually be treated decently for the first time in ages. Plus, having Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon all airing on the same channel sounds pretty awesome.

TheMisterManGuy

* Refocus The Main Disney Channel back to being more of a family network, rather than a kids network that parents can watch. I feel there's a very underserved niche of programming that the whole family can watch, rather than just different shows for different audiences. Disney Channel was one of the first networks to try and serve that niche, but with Nickelodeon's rising popularity, they shifted to all kids, all the time. So take Disney Channel back to being a family network, rather than just a kids network. The Disney brand is something everyone in the family can like, so why not leverage that? I will say though, that they are getting back to this somewhat.

* Diversify DC's Original series output. This is something they've also been getting better at lately, but there was a period of time where it felt like every Disney Channel original series felt like the same show, copy-pasted 5 times.

"Sarah McValleyGirl is you're typical Teenage girl, who loves shopping, boys, and friendship. But she has a secret... She's actually a Pop Star/Wizard/Ware-wolf/insert alter-ego here! Together with her best friends forever, she gets involved in one wacky High School problem after another, and uses her secret to learn all sorts of lessons in... Same Ol Stuff! Coming this Fall to Disney Channel!"

This pretty much described nearly every Disney Channel production from the mid-2000s up until more recently. Disney in general tends to have a habit of milking as much out of a formula as possible until it no longer makes money. With the recent diversification of its shows, it seems the old "Disney Channel" Formula is wearing thin now.

* Re-launch Disney XD as a Teen-focused Gaming network. Look, this should be inevitable. Disney has recently re-located all of Disney XD's programming back to the main Disney Channel. Showing there's just not much of a point in gendered networks anymore. Boys and Girls can like the same things. Considering the D|XP block that comes around every Summer, why not take that and run with it? Scrap Disney XD and launch a new 24 hour gaming network for 12-34 year old gamers, with a sizable online component to go with it. You would have to retire the Disney name for obvious reasons, but it'd be better than letting it go the way of TeenNick.

Toonatic

Very good question. Here's what I do:

All Channels:
-A late-night block from midnight-5am dedicated the shows of Disney Channel past (each channel having it's own unique block. For example, a late-night block on Disney Junior would have PB&J Otter, Amazing Animals, and Bear in The Big Blue House while a late-night block on Disney XD would have DarkWing Duck, The Tick, and Recess and it differentiates every night). The blocks will include programming from Disney, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Fox, Fox Kids, Jetix, and Saban libraries.

Disney Junior:
-Add classic shorts as filler (would it have Have-A-Laugh versions? Well maybe, depends on the time. The most part would definitely be the complete original shorts)
-Reinstate the 6 o'clock movie for Friday-Sun (encores at noon on Sat-Mon) and add live-action films to the roster including the Muppet movies, the Ewok movies, and (both-live action and animated) Fox films once the merger is complete (debate is open as to whether or not add movies from different studios like Universal and Sony).
-In addition to the nostalgic late-night block as mentioned, each late-night block for Friday will have 2 back-to-back classic live-action movies (one from Disney and one from Fox and vice-versa, again once the merger is complete) in the ratings range of G and PG (programming will differentiate should any movie go under or over 2 hours. Say for example they show a 3-hour movie, then we get a 2-hour movie or if we get 2-hour movies, then we get an hour of classic programming at 4am). Classic Disney shorts will air as filler.

Disney XD:
-Once Turner's deal with the SW movies is over, PG-rated SW films (I, IV-VI) will be broadcast (complete with Fox logos and fanfares). PG-13 rated movies (along with the PG-rated) will be broadcast on Freeform.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Very good question. Here's what I do:

All Channels:
-A late-night block from midnight-5am dedicated the shows of Disney Channel past (each channel having it's own unique block. For example, a late-night block on Disney Junior would have PB&J Otter, Amazing Animals, and Bear in The Big Blue House while a late-night block on Disney XD would have DarkWing Duck, The Tick, and Recess and it differentiates every night). The blocks will include programming from Disney, Lucasfilm, Marvel, Fox, Fox Kids, Jetix, and Saban libraries.
Personally, when it comes to the Disney Channel, I'd try to have at least one or two nights (preferably weekends) be a "Vault Disney" night with one classic movie, reruns of the Walt Disney anthology show, and old cartoons.

Disney XD:
-Once Turner's deal with the SW movies is over, PG-rated SW films (I, IV-VI) will be broadcast (complete with Fox logos and fanfares). PG-13 rated movies (along with the PG-rated) will be broadcast on Freeform.
Don't forget Attack of the Clones as part of the XD line-up (the franchise started getting PG-13 with Revenge of the Sith).

DragonKnightGX

Disney XD:
-Kim Possible and Lilo & Stitch were a good start. Resurrect more shows like Recess, Jake Long, Replacements, Emperor's New School, Tarzan, SRMTHFG!, Yin Yang Yo!, Gargoyles, Motorcity, So Weird, etc.
-Get Yu-Gi-Oh!.

Disney Channel:
-Bring in more live-action shows like Andi Mack and Girl Meets World.
-Air Violetta and Soy Luna.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Disney Channel:
Diversify the live-action, and add more animation.

Disney Junior:
More diversity among shows, including older shows at late night.

Disney XD:
Rename it back to Toon Disney/Jetix. Both mini-channels will have 12 hours of space. Toon Disney will be reruns of older comedy Disney shows, while Jetix will be Disney's action branch, with anime, action show premiered, and older action shows both made by Disney(Gargoyles, Buzz Lightyear) and in the Disney library(Saban stuff that isn't PR or Digimon, for example).

Johntoonfan05

Disney Channel: Less Live Action more Animation

Disney Junior: More Diversity for Shows

Disney XD: Repeats of Older Disney Animated Shows and maybe Show Star Wars PG-PG13 Movies

BooMToon

For The Win
Disney Channel: Make the channel more neutral and family-focused again, with less of the "omg so relatable YAAAAS SNAPCHAT I LITERALLY WAFFLES UNICORN :eek::eek::cool:" junk try-hard catering. This forced catering will go outdated once and it doesn't fit of what a "Disney Channel" should be (Obviously it can stay for certain instances but it should not be overdone) . Obviously live action can stay, but balance it out with animation in the schedule. Definitely have a throwback block at Friday and Saturday nights, which could compete with NickSplat. In terms of graphics, honestly, revert to the original version of the current 2014 graphics, or adopt the European version which uses a flat version of the original 2014 logo.

Disney XD: Break Disney XD up into two channels, one called "Disney Glitz" (the teenage girl channel, basically current DC), and "Disney X" (a little bit edgier but still inoffensive teenage male oriented channel, with gaming/eSports/tech related content, action and comedy shows and cartoons, maybe even some tamer and more mainstream anime). Both of them would get handful of promotion across social media), and it could possibly even a streaming service instead of a proper TV channel, due to a handful of teenagers nowadays moving away from TV and spending more time on the internet instead. The current Disney XD cartoons like Star vs. The Forces of Evil and the Ducktales reboot are moving to Disney Channel.

Disney Junior: Since I don't really care about preschool shows/networks, I don't really have an opinion on this.

Otakuninja2006

Disney Channel:
Diversify the live-action, and add more animation.

Disney Junior:
More diversity among shows, including older shows at late night.

Disney XD:
Rename it back to Toon Disney/Jetix. Both mini-channels will have 12 hours of space. Toon Disney will be reruns of older comedy Disney shows, while Jetix will be Disney's action branch, with anime, action show premiered, and older action shows both made by Disney(Gargoyles, Buzz Lightyear) and in the Disney library(Saban stuff that isn't PR or Digimon, for example).
Good ideas.

zakawer2

#BringBackDislikes
Put all remaining non-gaming/non-general audience animated Disney XD original programming (including shows that haven't aired on Disney Channel in the United States yet) on Disney Channel, and remove all live-action shows to refocus it into an animation-oriented channel targeting both kids (boys and girls alike) in the 6–14 age group and older animation enthusiasts, while incorporating a more diverse lineup of animated shows.

Create a TeenDisney channel exclusively airing live-action shows targeting kids and teens (boys and girls alike) in the 9–16 age group, and move all live-action shows and original movies to channel.

Instead of a boys/girls dichotomy, I think the programming should instead be segregated purely by medium—one channel for cartoons, and another for live-action.

Otakuninja2006

Put all remaining non-gaming/non-general audience animated Disney XD original programming (including shows that haven't aired on Disney Channel in the United States yet) on Disney Channel, and remove all live-action shows to refocus it into an animation-oriented channel targeting both kids (boys and girls alike) in the 6–14 age group and older animation enthusiasts, while incorporating a more diverse lineup of animated shows.

Create a TeenDisney channel exclusively airing live-action shows targeting kids and teens (boys and girls alike) in the 9–16 age group, and move all live-action shows and original movies to channel.

Instead of a boys/girls dichotomy, I think the programming should instead be segregated purely by medium—one channel for cartoons, and another for live-action.
Ok.

Why not just use Disney XD as the animation channel?

Just move it to basic cable and relaunch it as Toon Disney, and their action block would obviously be Jetix, but I don't think they should do that by this point anyway.

I'd rather have a more diverse Disney Channel with much more variety, a slightly improved Disney Junior with more variety, especially during the midday and nighttime hours, an revamped FXX with more variety, Jetix and basically becoming the "adult animation" equivalent of the Y2K Cartoon Network Condition that made Cartoon Network such a phenomenon and so popular back then before they threw it all in the trash, and a new network replacing Disney XD that's geek-friendly.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts