If you had the power to restructure Nickelodeon as a whole, what would you do?

SG-17

I've been thinking about this for a while. If you had the power to restructure Nickelodeon across the board (Nick, NickToons, TeenNick, NickJr, and online) what would you do?

I would start by consolidating NickToons and TeenNick and selling off the TeenNick channel space. Make the new NickTwoons both a burnoff channel for Nicktoons and live action programming but also let it cultivate its own identity and themeing like NickToons Network had when it launched. Also use it as a testbed and location for foreign or one-off cartoons and shorts.

I'd pretty much leave NickJr alone.

As for Nick I would cut out Nick@Nite completely, end it. TV Land has become what Nick@Nite was and the kinds of programs aired now don't garner much interest. I would instead replace it with an expanded NickSplat. Have a rotating and varied schedule of every Nickelodeon show from 1990 to 2005 with actual events and themed nights, no more autopilot of the same 3 shows over and over again. I'd also cut back its start and end times to 9pm-6am giving new Nick programs more time and not just filling time with repeating the same movies over and over. I would also bring back hosted and themed marathons, holiday blocks, and events and contests.

At the same time I would expand the Nickelodeon app to include a paid tier for like $5/mo to include a full on demand back catalog of Nick shows and a simulcast of Nickelodeon, add an extra $3/mo for a total of $8 to also get simulcasts of NickJr and NickTwoons.

What about you?

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
In addition to the above post (everything of which I agree with), here's a few more.

1) Top priority: Cancel SpongeBob. That show infected the network like a virus and it needs to go. If you don't cancel it, the show will make your restructured network much like the old one. Remove the weed before it damages the garden.

2) Hire a scheduling manager who knows what they're doing. Get those remaining unaired Nicktoons off the backburner and just air them on the main network already. Nickelodeon, not Nicktoons--you know, so people can actually WATCH them.

3) Set up a brain trust to pitch new show ideas. Sure, Nicktoons are nice, but we also need to bring back game shows since they've been sorely lacking. Let's also pick up some live-action shows that aren't just more cookie-cutter tweencoms--we've had enough of those, and with Dan Schneider gone, let's not repeat past mistakes.

Vaughn Max

In addition to the above post (everything of which I agree with), here's a few more.

1) Top priority: Cancel SpongeBob. That show infected the network like a virus and it needs to go. If you don't cancel it, the show will make your restructured network much like the old one. Remove the weed before it damages the garden.

2) Hire a scheduling manager who knows what they're doing. Get those remaining unaired Nicktoons off the backburner and just air them on the main network already. Nickelodeon, not Nicktoons--you know, so people can actually WATCH them.

3) Set up a brain trust to pitch new show ideas. Sure, Nicktoons are nice, but we also need to bring back game shows since they've been sorely lacking. Let's also pick up some live-action shows that aren't just more cookie-cutter tweencoms--we've had enough of those, and with Dan Schneider gone, let's not repeat past mistakes.
Nick without SpongeBob would be weird

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

SG-17

Nick without SpongeBob would be weird

SpongeBob was the spiritual successor of Rocko. Since SpongeBob has become perpetual the creative team behind it hasn't been able to make new shows.

I think that SpongeBob has enough episodes to air in perpetuity on a balanced schedule.

Maybe slow down production to 10 episodes a year and let the staff work on pitches for new shows.

kanc

I would say cancel SpongeBob after season 12 is done. It's been overstayed welcome. If ratings are not the issue, they need to really reduce SpongeBob airings, and also keep animation and live action balanced, and not depend the favorites. With the shows remain left to air, they need to bring back Game Shakers. They should also bring back Henry Danger reruns back on weekdays, Knight Squad, Hunter Street (maybe next year since season 3 was already renewed), Alvinnn!!! and the Chipmunks. Maybe do Friday night movies 7PM-9PM, and not same repeated movies.

Remove N@N shows in block and move it to TVLand. No more off the clocks.

They should've start Welcome to the Wayne in September for weekday bombs for burnoffs for season 1 and season 2 should air by 2019 in Nick. After done, then reruns of the show should move to Nicktoons.

If Nick is going to acquire or make new shows, they need to start ahead, and not wait for several years even if animation takes too long to produce..

Vaughn Max

I would say cancel SpongeBob after season 12 is done. It's been overstayed welcome. If ratings are not the issue, they need to really reduce SpongeBob airings, and also keep animation and live action balanced, and not depend the favorites. With the shows remain left to air, they need to bring back Game Shakers. They should also bring back Henry Danger reruns back on weekdays, Knight Squad, Hunter Street (maybe next year since season 3 was already renewed), Alvinnn!!! and the Chipmunks. Maybe do Friday night movies 7PM-9PM, and not same repeated movies.

Remove N@N shows in block and move it to TVLand. No more off the clocks.

They should've start Welcome to the Wayne in September for weekday bombs for burnoffs for season 1 and season 2 should air by 2019 in Nick. After done, then reruns of the show should move to Nicktoons.

If Nick is going to acquire or make new shows, they need to start ahead, and not wait for several years even if animation takes too long to produce..

I agree with most of that, but I'd keep SpongeBob running until it's not popular anymore and I'd also bring back reruns of old shows to get old fans to watch the new shows and boost the ratings for them. I'd also rerun Welcome to the Wayne when new episodes air again for people to get caught up if they missed some episodes

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I wouldn't cancel SpongeBob, but I would indeed make new cartoons and give them a proper chance. SpongeBob wasn't a massive hit in 1999 either, so what Cyma did with all of her shows was flat out stupid.

I would buy third-party cartoons. I don't like how Netflix is becoming the only source for foreign animation in the US.

I would do a bit what Nickelodeon Flanders is doing. They are way more popular than Cartoon Network and Disney Channel and that has been the case since 2004.

ToonsJazzLover

Hire a better scheduling and executive team. You know, not depend so much on popularity in order for a show to get the most reruns, and get rid of the SpongeBob standard (it may be working recently as the new TMNT got a second season after its sneak peek, but probably because it's an existing property). Also, do something about the movies, not everyone is going to enjoy watching SpongeBob movies (both 2004 and Sponge Out of Water) every week.

And while we're at it, get better promoting market. Some of the promos rely too much on being relevant, especially usage of memes and modern slangs terms that would turn off older viewers.

Keep a better balance at their programming. Don't rely too much on old shows or existing properties. Greenlight some original programs as well. On the subject of this, get someone who will become the new Butch Hartman/Dan Schneider if he/she want to create more than one show in this network.

Ditch Nick at Nite. Like someone said, TV Land exists and a couple of them can move there (Friends is already on various networks though). It has become a joke block especially with unwanted extra commercials.

jaylop97

Staff member
They should really start production on all of the shows they have made pilots for as of recently, I will admit not all of those deserve pilots but they should at least pick the ones that have their creators still working at Nickelodeon at the very least.

When it comes to airing new episodes they should really plan to air them all together or roughly close to one another, I mean it's obvious that most shows really get better coverage if they air around the other well known/popular shows, that can help them at least have a fanbase for if numbers aren't doing well.

Speaking of ratings they really should settle down with the idea of shows not making the number leading to their doom's, Nick has lost a lot of fans because of this, if they are uncertain to keep a show the least how well a show is doing internationally, as it could be doing better and with that opportunity maybe a show can improve if it is doing well elsewhere.

Once again from the point above, their promotional work, whether on TV or on their Youtube channel definitely should have a major reconstruction, due to how some of those commercials are developed and usually receive negative feedback because of their content can be a little too juvenile to some, which isn't very good on their plates.

I should really say that even with all of what I said, the most impressive thing I know about Nick is that most people do like working there, most of those that are employed by the network do say that they do have a lot of fun working at Nickelodeon, however it is disappointing that in some cases some of them like CH Greenblatt leave Nick disappointed because of their work being treated badly. When it comes to producing shows most seem to be positive but when it comes to how the show does that is very mixed.

TheMisterManGuy

First things first, forget the SpongeBob standard. That's not to say stop airing or cancel SpongeBob, but stop using it as the measuring stick for all of your animated shows both creatively and commercially. Let shows be successful on their own terms, and give them good scheduling and promotion. Also take a page from CN's book and not use television ratings as the only way to judge a show's success. That's suicide in a post-Netflix world.

The second thing to do is to get away from all the old tropes and cliches that you used to rely on when green-lighting new shows. In other words, don't green-light 5 Fanboy & Chum Chum knock-offs or 50 Dan Schneider type sitcoms. Bring in a variety of new and unique shows that do different things. And as I said, get rid of the SpongeBob standard, let these shows be successful on their own.

Last thing I'd do, is shut down TeenNick. Seriously, it's a waste of space and whatever purpose it may have had back in "The-N" era is now non-existent.

Vaughn Max

First things first, forget the SpongeBob standard. That's not to say stop airing or cancel SpongeBob, but stop using it as the measuring stick for all of your animated shows both creatively and commercially. Let shows be successful on their own terms, and give them good scheduling and promotion. Also take a page from CN's book and not use television ratings as the only way to judge a show's success. That's suicide in a post-Netflix world.

The second thing to do is to get away from all the old tropes and cliches that you used to rely on when green-lighting new shows. In other words, don't green-light 5 Fanboy & Chum Chum knock-offs or 50 Dan Schneider type sitcoms. Bring in a variety of new and unique shows that do different things. And as I said, get rid of the SpongeBob standard, let these shows be successful on their own.

Last thing I'd do, is shut down TeenNick. Seriously, it's a waste of space and whatever purpose it may have had back in "The-N" era is now non-existent.
If TeenNick shut down, then where would stuff like Sam and Cat, Victorious, iCarly, and more go? They can't go on NickSplat since they're not classic shows yet, they can't go on Nicktoons because they stopped airing most sitcoms, and the main channel probably doesn't want to air them anymore

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
If TeenNick shut down, then where would stuff like Sam and Cat, Victorious, iCarly, and more go? They can't go on NickSplat since they're not classic shows yet, they can't go on Nicktoons because they stopped airing most sitcoms, and the main channel probably doesn't want to air them anymore

Not every show ever made needs millions of reruns.

SG-17

From 2002 when NickToons TV (Network) launched until 2007 when Nick GaS was turned into The N there wasn't a place for older live action shows to run, I don't see why there needs to be one now. Though like I stated in my OP I'd advocate for combining TeenNick and NickToons to a degree. Still focus on cartoons but have a TEENick/SNICK block for live action.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
More original animated IPs, the cartoon lineup is nothing short of shameful.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I could apply THIS to ANY channel still in existence... But Nickelodeon needs this the most right now.

- Start getting creative with animation and live-action fare in general. Don't get stuck in one place with anything. That means more action, drama, adventure, sci-fi, mecha, horror, whatever else you can think of - not just comedy. That means no more settling on Spongebob and Loud House - type shows alone, or whatever they abuse as comedy (which I personally REFUSE to call it that!) in live-action, neither!

- Give everything a chance to succeed, even if it ain't popular with the crowd. The only reason to cancel something is if it ain't selling well. And even then, I'd still give the creators of their works a chance to end their shows properly so nothing is left unsaid.

- Balance the schedule (on all my channels.). Nuff' said. And it's not hard, either.

- Only use Nicktoons for old-school stuff, but again - keep the scheduling of it balanced like the main channel. At the same time, make Nicktoons a non-premium channel to work alongside Nick, as well. In fact, making The Splat an official channel to air BOTH old-school Nicktoons and live-action fare from Nick ain't too shabby an idea, honestly. However, I'd rather the Nicktoons and live-action fare from yesteryear air on SEPERATE channels. We have the money - I know we can do that. As FACT, THAT is what I prefer to do.

- Nick Jr. can stay the way it is. It's doing just fine; I'd just suggest making some better material to watch. Whatever's on there clearly isn't as good as it was as a kid, honestly.

- Ditch TeenNick. Simple as that.

- Get rid of Nick @ Nite; TV Land is all we need for old-school Viacom programming.

- Don't go cancel-crazy. Like I said, give everything a chance and proper scheduling to succeed.

And with that... GAME OVER

Thank you for listening to...
Imperial Rig Shokew

Light Lucario

Staff member
I think that giving new shows more time to develop an audience would really help. They're always on the look out for the next Spongebob, but shows don't become major hits overnight. It takes time for shows to become successful and not every show can reach the iconic popularity of something like Spongebob either. They do want to get as much money as possible from their shows, but decent hit shows are still good too.

I don't think I would cancel Spongebob. I don't watch much of the series, so I can't speak on its quality, but I don't think that cancelling Spongebob would necessarily help the channel. They'd still be on the lookout for another huge hit and would still rely on reruns. I don't think that Spongebob itself is a problem. Nickelodeon overplaying the series and expecting new series to be successful like Spongebob are more of the issues at hand.

They definitely need to improve their schedule. If they had a better balance of series instead of just reruns of the same set of shows, their lineup would be more appealing and interesting to watch through.

Trying something different with their live action series would be nice. They've relied on the same kind of kid sit-com style for awhile and few of them really stand out. It's one of the reasons why I really enjoy Hunter Street. It's still very much a show for kids, but it isn't a typical kid sit-com. It's a mystery series with better production value than most of their other live action series from the past few years and the storyline is actually pretty engaging. Having some more variety among their live action shows would really be good.

I'd be tempted to get rid of Nicktoons completely. It could be used as a better rerun channel, but I think using it like that led to them not really caring about it in the first place. Plus, I'm still kind of annoyed at how they've mishandled Arc V, despite the fact that I don't even watch the dub anymore myself. It is probably the most salvageable out of their secondary channels though. If they actually promote the channel and the shows on their regular channel, instead of using it as a place to toss off shows they no longer want to air, then I think it could work. Still, I don't think I'd be heartbroken if it was tossed away.

As cool as the idea of turning the Splat block into its own channel, I'd first see if having a different lineup with more variety on its regular slot on Teen Nick would help. It started off promising when the block first premiered, but it's been on autopilot for awhile. If the block became more successful after having different shows airing, then I'd extend the block at least. Turning Teen Nick into the Splat could still happen, but I'd save that for after the block became more successful.

I'd also improve Nickelodeon's On Demand section. They'd update it with their newest episode every week and have more old shows available on their Nick Rewind section. They usually just have four or five shows there at a time.

I'd definitely get rid of Nick at Nite. It has been on autopilot for ages and there are plenty of other channels that air sitcom reruns. Using the Nick at Nite timeslot to further expand the Splat or to make it available for those who don't have Teen Nick would be good though.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I guess I'll join in the fun.

If Viacom somehow made me the leader of Nickelodeon.

Animation : I would leave Spongebob as is and still keep The Loud House , and Welcome to the Wayne. Also encourage to have new original animated series of different types. There won't be a threshold of is it getting Spongebob ratings or anything like that.

Live Action : Time increase the quality a little try new creators who have new ideas I don't have to say no more Schneider shows since he's no longer there. Try new genres too and make dramas not everything would be a comedy. These shows would also get more repeats in the schedule to hopefully they find their audience.

Acquirement : I would acquire series that could fit on the channels and give them fair chances too. Another thing that could fit in this category is working with smaller production companies that might otherwise work with Netflix, Amazon, and the like.

By Channel :

Nickelodeon: Adding more animated and live action shows make sure they run from weekdays 3pm-10pmet with a nice blend of shows. Weekends from 7am-10pmet same things. Nick Jr Block would stay on the channel in daytime but would go back to be cut short on holidays and summer.
Nick at Nite (would be re-branded as such) and will run from 10pm-7amet everynight, I would cut the commercial load though because no one should should ever air that much commercials.

Nick Jr (The Channel) : continue as is promote the channel exclusives during the block on the main the channel.

Nicktoons : Rebrand back to Nicktoons Network air a mixture of Nicktoons from 1991 to present. I would like to use the channel to air it's own originals or as stated above airing some shows that are made by smaller/indie productions. (Yes they would also get promoted an aired on the main Nick)

Teennick : It would continue to air Nick's live action reruns of "modern classics" I also would put t the teen back in teen nick slightly, making shows that would appeal to 12 to 17 years olds. Something that bridges the gap between Nick and the other Viacom networks, (again there would also be a Teennick Sunday block on Nick) Nick Splat stays on the channel running 11-6 , there would be more freshened up schedule.

Nick.com : Time to fix the website and app not make it boring or bland because that's not Nick's style but make it easier to find episodes of past and present shows should be done.

The Look: I think the current logo can be worked with but the presentation needs to be something that makes Nick special , not following a current trend that will be forgotten with the trend it's copying. Instead make a look that people of the current generation will remember like people from the 90's remember theirs.

the Reboots/ Remakes and revivals : I won't cancel the Rugrats remake in progress or the revival specials that would be unfair. I am not against reviving something but would have maybe more priority on things maybe didn't get their chance to finish their stories. I would prefer to have fresh ideas and characters and concepts , but not slamming the door on these ideas either.

I hope this wasn't too long :) thanks.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I would make a new logo with an orange splat and "Nickelodeon" written into it in a modern font.

I could actually see this happen already, because all these reboots are coming and they're clearly commercializing nostalgia.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
If I could add one more thing to my suggestions: No more reboots/revivals. We need new and original ideas to turn into classics someday, not to live in the past. Simple as that.

Again, that doesn't just go for anything Nick-related, either. I apply this to any and all existing channels I could see myself in charge of if hired and capable of doing so, honestly.

Vaughn Max

If I could add one more thing to my suggestions: No more reboots/revivals. We need new and original ideas to turn into classics someday, not to live in the past. Simple as that.

Again, that doesn't just go for anything Nick-related, either. I apply this to any and all existing channels I could see myself in charge of if hired and capable of doing so, honestly.
They're probably gonna revive every Nick show that ever existed

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts