If you could change something in the DCAU...

Srebak

If you could change something in the DCAU what would it be and why? That's what this thread is about.

Personally i'd have changed what happened to Tim Drake and Shayera.

After all his hard work and training, Tim's career ended not long after it began. If it were up to me, I'd have had the ROTJ flashback done a little differently.

Shayera was given the short end of the stick, she was exiled, despised and beaten. I can't help but wish her downfall didn't include being exiled or hated by her own people. I feel sorry for her. J'onn, Superman and Diana all had their tragedies, but in the end, they were allowed to go home.

JTMarsh

Wing Commander
Just one thing or any number of things?

I'd have given Superman's character designs from his solo show & JL/JLU properly defined eyes. I always thought it made his face look weird that his eyes were just these beedy black dots while most everyone else had properly defined eyes (even the ones who wore masks with lenses that hid their eyes). Also took some of the emotion out of his reactions as well.

suss2it

If you could change something in the DCAU what would it be and why? That's what this thread is about.

Personally i'd have changed what happened to Tim Drake and Shayera.

After all his hard work and training, Tim's career ended not long after it began. If it were up to me, I'd have had the ROTJ flashback done a little differently.

Shayera was given the short end of the stick, she was exiled, despised and beaten. I can't help but wish her downfall didn't include being exiled or hated by her own people. I feel sorry for her. J'onn, Superman and Diana all had their tragedies, but in the end, they were allowed to go home.
I wouldn't change either of their stories, they were both very interesting and emotional, and if you take the tragedies out of it, they just woudn't be as interesting and would lose a lot of the emotional grasp on the audience. Plus they weren't too tragic. Tim Drake was able to grow up as a mostly normal human, get a regular job and obtain a wife and kid(s?). Shayera was eventually able to rejoin the League and continue to save people, as well as eventually having a son.

Change Tim's name from Tim Drake to Jason Todd. Done and done.
Funnily enough the first two the two have been animated they shared the same costume.

Just one thing or any number of things?

I'd have given Superman's character designs from his solo show & JL/JLU properly defined eyes. I always thought it made his face look weird that his eyes were just these beedy black dots while most everyone else had properly defined eyes (even the ones who wore masks with lenses that hid their eyes). Also took some of the emotion out of his reactions as well.
So much this. It just looked really basic compared to all the other characters, and was very odd. I wish they permanetly went with his look from Static Shock, like what they did with Joker, who's Justice League/Return of the Joker look originated from Static Shock if I'm not mistaken.

I think it's a vast improvement.

the greenman

I agree with this. However, it may not have worked on a sympathy level. Since we knew Drake but were never introduced to Todd, and doing a one off appearance with a new Robin just wouldn't have worked. The only way it couldve worked was if they introduced Todd as a past Robin in the BB continuity in episodes before, but it wouldve ruined the impact of ROTJ.

Anyway, I regret they never used Christopher Reeve as a VA on STAS or JL. We know what happened after or during the production of STAS, but it may have been cool.

Of course no Hal Jordan in the DCAU, but that's moot what with that one appearance in JLU and the fact that we're about to be inundated this year anyway.

Monte

I would have changed the whole LutherXbrainiac thing and instead gone down the road to president Luther. Really the only thing i liked about Luther dropping his presidential plans was the line "do you know how much power i'd have to give up to become president?", but other than that i would have prefered the presidential path. What i loved about the cadmus season was the shades of gray; Villians who were trying to only protect others, and Heroes who found themselves doing shady or even immoral things to counter the villains. Luther would have forced it all to a grand climax as the heroes are pushed to the brink of turning out like the Justice Lords. In a way i felt like the VERY sudden return of brainiac was kind of a cop out to avoid having the heroes travel down an immoral path; put them on the brink of becoming villains themselves.

honestly compared to the cadmus season, i felt the remiander of the series was kind of weak... Just typical black vs white, hero vs villain scenerio. Only interesting thing was the villains ending up picking sides between grodd and Luther

steelio2006

well it would have been cool to see another batman series apart of the dcau.

would've included jean paul valley/azbats and knightfall
would've introduced tommy elliot and the hush trilogy

suss2it

I agree with this. However, it may not have worked on a sympathy level. Since we knew Drake but were never introduced to Todd, and doing a one off appearance with a new Robin just wouldn't have worked. The only way it couldve worked was if they introduced Todd as a past Robin in the BB continuity in episodes before, but it wouldve ruined the impact of ROTJ.
I believe he's saying he'd want them keep everything the exact way it was, but instead of the Robin being named "Tim Drake" he'd be named "Jason Todd". Therefore all the sympathy we feel for Drake would remain, except it'd be for Todd.

I would have changed the whole LutherXbrainiac thing and instead gone down the road to president Luther. Really the only thing i liked about Luther dropping his presidential plans was the line "do you know how much power i'd have to give up to become president?", but other than that i would have prefered the presidential path. What i loved about the cadmus season was the shades of gray; Villians who were trying to only protect others, and Heroes who found themselves doing shady or even immoral things to counter the villains. Luther would have forced it all to a grand climax as the heroes are pushed to the brink of turning out like the Justice Lords. In a way i felt like the VERY sudden return of brainiac was kind of a cop out to avoid having the heroes travel down an immoral path; put them on the brink of becoming villains themselves.
I believe Bruce Timm said something very similar to that on one of the special features of complete second season DVD of Justice League Unlimited.

well it would have been cool to see another batman series apart of the dcau.

would've included jean paul valley/azbats and knightfall
would've introduced tommy elliot and the hush trilogy
I disagree. Batman had two series, which means not only did he kick off the universe, he also has the most series set in the DCAU, and most likely the highest episode count as well.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I would delete the Plastic Man line from Green Lantern in "The Greatest Story Never Told" and put in a line such as "No, you're with....(not knowing the name of Booster Gold) him...(sees Skeets) them." <Flies off real fast>

Of course no Hal Jordan in the DCAU, but that's moot what with that one appearance in JLU and the fact that we're about to be inundated this year anyway.
Technically, there is a Hal Jordan in the DCAU. In "In Brightest Day" there is a brief appearance of a Colonel Hal Jordan's jet. So it appears he got to live a normal life in this universe.

I believe Bruce Timm said something very similar to that on one of the special features of complete second season DVD of Justice League Unlimited.
I think, as well, it was in the latter half of the Cadmus feature on Disc 1 of that DVD set.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I'm going to limit this to things that affected continuity at large, because there are probably too many small details that I would've liked to tweak here and there.

I absolutely disliked the Wonder Woman/Hawkgirl feud. I thought both characters came across as a bit childish, and the dialogue between them in "The Balance" felt really unnatural. I could've done without most of it post-Starcrossed.

I would also like to note sometimes there are ideas that are great in isolation, but kind of undesirable relative to the greater timeline. For instance, even though "Ancient History" was a good episode, the love tetrahedron between Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, Hawkman, and Vixen was probably pushing it a little too far. In other words, it worked exceptionally well for the episode, but the idea seemed kind of ridiculous in general. A similar thing would be how Lois and Bruce Wayne dated and we were led to believe they their chemistry was so good they had a real chance at a long term relationship. It worked great for the "World's Finest" trilogy, but it's sort of troublesome to imply that Superman's girlfriend was closer to a real long-term relationship to Batman than she was with Superman throughout the near entirety of STAS.

shazam

had an appearance by the outsiders or the doom patrol. would've been a great JLU episode. actually i would have done an episode of JLU that explained when ROTJ flashback happened, it could have had nightwing in it......

W.C.Reaf

This is what I'd want to change the most. Not only does it fit more with the character and background that was presented in the show it also adds to ROTJ as comic fans would expect a Death of Jason Todd story instead of it being twisted on its head.

I'd also give Wonder Woman more of a personality and characterisation in Justice League as she came off as rather bland most of the time. At the beginning of the series she was a new hero to the world yet after that 3-part opening she seems as experienced as the others. It just seemed a waste of story potential they could've used to develop her character more.

RoryWilliams

Just as we had Dick Grayson turn into Nightwing and get replaced by Tim Drake, I'd have liked to see Barbara Gordon become Oracle and then bring in Cassandra Cain as Batgirl.

Following that, I'd have liked to see Huntress brought earlier and then help start the Birds of Prey with Oracle.

As amazing as JLU was, there are still some characters I wish we had gotten to see.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I'd also give Wonder Woman more of a personality and characterisation in Justice League as she came off as rather bland most of the time. At the beginning of the series she was a new hero to the world yet after that 3-part opening she seems as experienced as the others. It just seemed a waste of story potential they could've used to develop her character more.

This is why I really wish they could've gotten Wonder Woman to guest star in STAS, because then she could've gotten an in depth introduction like Green Lantern, Lobo, and the New Gods, and to a lesser degree Aquaman and Flash, instead of the one sort of hastily thrown together for "Secret Origins." Of all the things STAS accomplished, by far my favorite were guest spots from many characters from the DCU, many of whom not necessarily Superman franchise characters.

suss2it

I absolutely disliked the Wonder Woman/Hawkgirl feud. I thought both characters came across as a bit childish, and the dialogue between them in "The Balance" felt really unnatural. I could've done without most of it post-Starcrossed.
I thought it made a lot of sense actually. Wonder Woman is fiercely believes in loyalty, and Hawkgirl not only betrayed the team, but was actively spying on them, getting them captured and nearly killed, along with the rest of the Earth. That's not something I see as easily forgivable.

quigonkenny

The "Ra's possesses Talia" episode of Batman Beyond. Beyond the inherent squick factor, it just always struck me as something extremely out of character for Ra's. Here we have a Noble Demon Well-Intentioned Extremist whose entire motivation was to shape the world into a fitting place for his daughter and her prospective progeny to rule, a relatively honorable character who exemplified the complex motivations and morality behind the Batman villains as portrayed in BTAS, and in one fell swoop he throws that all away and effectively murders his daughter just to get a (by his perspective) few more years of life. It's especially disappointing given that the futuristic setting of BB, where advances in medicine and genetics had already been made a focus of the series, would grant Ra's so many additional options *cough*cloning*cough*.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I thought it made a lot of sense actually. Wonder Woman is fiercely believes in loyalty, and Hawkgirl not only betrayed the team, but was actively spying on them, getting them captured and nearly killed, along with the rest of the Earth. That's not something I see as easily forgivable.

The hard feelings made sense, it was the way they presented the bitterness that just kind of annoyed me. It's been a few years since I last saw "The Balance," but I seem to recall a few lines to which I thought to myself, "Who says that?" I don't own the DVD, so unless it's one of the episodes that I taped on VHS (heh) I couldn't confirm what the exact lines are.

Also, even though in fiction the execution is more important than the motives for including certain details, but I thought they capitalized on it just because they were the two women in the group, so CATFIGHT!

Legion472

Brainiac
Captain Cold
Riddler
Scarecrow
Solomon Grundy

and of course my personal favorite, the Joker

All as members of the Legion of Doom.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts