If Toonami did air older anime,,

Zorak Masaki

We all know that the guys in charge of Toonami wont air anything older than Cowboy Bebop (1998), but what if they did air older anime, if so, what would you choose?

Pre-1998
Ranma 1/2 (there's an HD remaster, so this one is somewhat realistic at least)
Fushugi Yugi
Slayers
Macross (not sure if an english dub for this one, not counting Robotech, exists though)
El Hazard
Moldiver

Post 1998, but still quite old:
Excel Saga (sans ep 26)
Monster
Angel Links (well, they aired Outlaw Star)
Master Keaton
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenoshi

SpaceCowboy

We all know that the guys in charge of Toonami wont air anything older than Cowboy Bebop (1998), but what if they did air older anime, if so, what would you choose?

Pre-1998
Somehow I doubt AS would want to license an old show they haven't aired before that has a lot of episodes and would require editing.
Fushugi Yugi
Not sure if Media Blasters still has this.
No HD masters exist and the only surviving video masters look bad on modern TVs.
Macross (not sure if an english dub for this one, not counting Robotech, exists though)
ADV did one over a decade ago, but the ball is pretty much in Harmony Gold's court.

El Hazard
If they can get it from Rightstuf. I'd like to see them air this.
No chance. The US license expired ages ago and it's with NBCUniversal Japan.
Excel Saga (sans ep 26)
If they can get it from Funimation.
Not possible, because of the rights mess over its music in Japan. Viz lost the license.
If they can get it from Funimation. I wouldn't personally be interested in seeing it on the block, because it sounds like an inferior sequel to Outlaw Star.
Master Keaton
The rights expired with Geneon going out of business. Someone would have to re-license it from Japan.
Not sure if it's still available.

Last edited:

animePWNS

1955-2024
It would be cool if they aired the older Gundams again, if only to see what comments would appear here to see if they still hold up. I still like Wing and G. And Seed, but that's after Bebop.

Trigun too, though that's the same year as Bebop, I think.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It would be cool if they aired the older Gundams again, if only to see what comments would appear here to see if they still hold up. I still like Wing and G. And Seed, but that's after Bebop.

Trigun too, though that's the same year as Bebop, I think.

With their inability to get hot new titles, why not appeal to the nostalgia crowd who yell at Demarco to reair YuYu Hakusho, Trigun, Gundam Wing, Rurouni Kenshin, and all those other retro titles? Nostalgia seems to be the glue that gets people watching Assassination Classroom late at night at cable when you can easily watch it on FunimationNow for free. Why not bank on said nostalgia.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

Pre-1998
Fushugi Yugi
Slayers
El Hazard
Moldiver

Excel Saga (sans ep 26)
Monster
Master Keaton

I know they've said the line is 1998 (when Cowboy Bebop aired) but I would include 1999 (and maybe even 2000) as "retro" years to pull anime from. What DeMarco was basically saying was anything prior to to the turn of the century is "too old" to be aired.

The ones you bring up above (Ranma, Fushugi Yugi, Slayers, El Hazard) are the kings of the" VHS era" of anime, which is more tied to the years when "anime festivals" would air on the Sci-Fi channel in the 90's.

I guess that's my way of saying I don't know if those would be appropriate fits on Toonami, but I'd love to see another "late night anime block" with a "retro" feel to it, to air stuff like that. Though Adult Swim would NOT have any interest in it...

With their inability to get hot new titles, why not appeal to the nostalgia crowd who yell at Demarco to reair YuYu Hakusho, Trigun, Gundam Wing, Rurouni Kenshin, and all those other retro titles? Nostalgia seems to be the glue that gets people watching Assassination Classroom late at night at cable when you can easily watch it on FunimationNow for free. Why not bank on said nostalgia.

That's a more reasonable scenario: Go back to having an "OG Toonami" title airing late at night at the tail end of the Toonami broadcast. That would be a welcome sight, to me. Gundam Wing, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.

When they did do that, they tended to focus on Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Jack or "Ghost in the Shell" in that "retro" tail end of the block, but I would like them to bring back some of the ones PicardMan mentioned.

But I feel that's a bit different then what Zorak was saying.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Demarco says that Toonami is interested in reairing Yu Yu Hakusho. Outlaw Star, Samurai Champloo, and Paranoia Agent have already aired on Nu Toonami, so I don't really expect encore runs of those shows. Rurouni Kenshin's one of my favorite anime ever, but the controversy of the creator might keep it from running. Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun and Gundam Wing still seem to be the most in demand candidates for classic shows that haven't aired on Nu Toonami yet (not counting April Fools).

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I'd bat for Yu Yu Hakusho, as well. It's a long-running series that can easily fill over 2 years of space, but isn't anywhere near Shippuden or One Piece in terms of content. Also worth noting is its status as Togashi's other major series. With Hunter X Hunter considered a favorite among zoomer anime fans, that could entice younger Toonami viewers to stick around.

Another series I'd consider would be, and hear me out, One Piece. Why not save a slot or two at the end to air it from the very beginning? It would be a good way to attract new fans who still watch the block, and there's a strong contingent of OP fans who will watch it no matter what.

And one more choice I'll throw out isn't anime at all, but older and an undeniable part of Toonami's legacy- Batman: TAS. The show remains a big deal, and with its reboot series coming soon, this would be a good way to promote it and HBO Max as a whole.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
And one more choice I'll throw out isn't anime at all, but older and an undeniable part of Toonami's legacy- Batman: TAS. The show remains a big deal, and with its reboot series coming soon, this would be a good way to promote it and HBO Max as a whole.

Warner doesn't seem to be very cooperative with Nu Toonami as they didn't let them finish Harley Quinn when they accidentally forgot to air the finale.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Demarco says that Toonami is interested in reairing Yu Yu Hakusho. Outlaw Star, Samurai Champloo, and Paranoia Agent have already aired on Nu Toonami, so I don't really expect encore runs of those shows. Rurouni Kenshin's one of my favorite anime ever, but the controversy of the creator might keep it from running. Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun and Gundam Wing still seem to be the most in demand candidates for classic shows that haven't aired on Nu Toonami yet (not counting April Fools).

Your first line is a little unclear, are you saying DeMarco said that Toonami WOULD be interested in reairing those?

I know Trigun was originally on Adult Swim (NOT on Toonami) but I feel like any "OG" or "classic" Adult Swim Anime might be a good fit. It's just a matter of deciding where "classic Adult Swim" ended - I would vote it's either in 2005, when Adult Swim became it's own separate network, or when Death Note ended in 2008 (which is also right around when the original Toonami ended). Which is my way of saying, I wouldn't mind a return of "Wolf's Rain" or "Blue Gender". :)

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Your first line is a little unclear, are you saying DeMarco said that Toonami WOULD be interested in reairing those?

I know Trigun was originally on Adult Swim (NOT on Toonami) but I feel like any "OG" or "classic" Adult Swim Anime might be a good fit. It's just a matter of deciding where "classic Adult Swim" ended - I would vote it's either in 2005, when Adult Swim became it's own separate network, or when Death Note ended in 2008 (which is also right around when the original Toonami ended). Which is my way of saying, I wouldn't mind a return of "Wolf's Rain" or "Blue Gender". :)

Just YuYu Hakusho. I'd be cool with Death Note or Code Geass too, even Durarara. There's lots of classics (pre Nu Toonami) they can air.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Warner doesn't seem to be very cooperative with Nu Toonami as they didn't let them finish Harley Quinn when they accidentally forgot to air the finale.
Ah yes, that's true. Warner and DC only seem receptive to Toonami when it's beneficial to them. So the ball would be in their court to air B:TAS.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Just YuYu Hakusho. I'd be cool with Death Note or Code Geass too, even Durarara. There's lots of classics (pre Nu Toonami) they can air.

"Durarara" feels too new for what I'm envisioning for a "rerun block", but I get the feeling anything before 2017 is "retro" for them at this point (they've aired early "Attack on Titan" episodes at the tail end of the block, for instance).....

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
"Durarara" feels too new for what I'm envisioning for a "rerun block", but I get the feeling anything before 2017 is "retro" for them at this point (they've aired early "Attack on Titan" episodes at the tail end of the block, for instance).....

They have perpetual Space Dandy rights. It's recent, but pre COVID nostalgia makes it feel like a while ago. 2010s nostalgia is a real thing, but 2000s shows would be more exciting as it's been longer.

homeofthebadguys

If Toonami aired older anime, people would actually tune in. And WarnerMedia apparently wants no hand in that.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
They have perpetual Space Dandy rights. It's recent, but pre COVID nostalgia makes it feel like a while ago. 2010s nostalgia is a real thing, but 2000s shows would be more exciting as it's been longer.

Anything prior to the "Intruder II" event in November 2015, for sure (or maybe anything prior to "Intruder III" event in November, 2016). After "Intruder III" we had the the premiere of "Dragon Ball Super" in early 2017 (and the 20th anniversary of Toonami), and that feels like a change in eras.....

If Toonami aired older anime, people would actually tune in. And WarnerMedia apparently wants no hand in that.

Hmm, you think Toonami would do better if the overall focus was a nostalgia line-up?

I feel an appropriate balance would be to have 3 to 4 new shows (one of which is a "Toonami original", or a Western show of some sort, like "Primal") and 3 to 4 old shows ("retro" or "Toonami greatest hits").

That's the appropriate amount. If it's just a 3 hour block, I'd say the first 2 hours need to be the "new" stuff and the last hour needs to be the retro block.

Last edited:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Anything prior to the "Intruder II" event in November 2015, for sure (or maybe anything prior to "Intruder III" event in November, 2016). After "Intruder III" we had the the premiere of "Dragon Ball Super" in early 2017 (and the 20th anniversary of Toonami), and that feels like a change in eras.....

Hmm, you think Toonami would do better if the overall focus was a nostalgia line-up?

I feel an appropriate balance would be to have 3 to 4 new shows (one of which is a "Toonami original", or a Western show of some sort, like "Primal") and 3 to 4 old shows ("retro" or "Toonami greatest hits").

That's the appropriate amount. If it's just a 3 hour block, I'd say the first 2 hours need to be the "new" stuff and the last hour needs to be the retro block.

Just FYI, but DeMarco did a Q&A session over the weekend about Toonami on Twitter and I posted the highlights in the Toonami news thread.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts