I think we need to bring back mean spirited humor in cartoons

BattleForBFDIFan4

I know it sounds funny but I've heard some rumors from Twitter that people needed more mean-spirited humor cartoons with Billy And Mandy Image and (possibly) Ed Edd N Eddy Image. I think I saw that kind of image before but it said as "Mean Protagonist" meaning that a protagonist is unlikable. I feel like this humor grew on me growing up. The only one who uses this humor now are some Adult cartoons but I feel like cartoons that are designated for kids TV-7 and above should use mean-spirited humor or cynical humor in cartoons again.

And yes, mean-spirited humor peaked around the whole 2000s decade.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Why do you think mean spirited humor should come back? You didn't really explain.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
This brand of humor almost killed my interest in Western Animation, especially back in the 00s with anything that wasn't a proper (and good) American-made action show, honestly.
Compared to now, I was a huge anime dork, as a result of seeing too much mean-spirited crap in my Western animation, to the point where it damn near drove me away from anything American-made, until shows like Adventure Time & Regular Show showed me how to actually do Western animation right again.
That being as something that appeals to anyone and everyone, has a sense of balance to it, and doesn't condescend or insult people for being different from others.
So yeah - no. I'm in love with Western animation again, thanks to them not brining this kind of crap back en masse, please and thank you.
IN FACT, Adult-themed American-made Western fare can start to do better by not making anymore shows with this brand of humor, as well. I'm sick of seeing anime beat us constantly in this department.

We Americans are capable of so much more than cheap-looking, boring and mean-spirited crap that doesn't even appeal to the adult audience after too long, really.
There are people like myself who hate stuff like The Simpsons, South Park, and Family Guy for more reasons than it just ain't that funny.
Or, worst of all IMHO,, why anime is on one hell of an upsurge in popularity over our own American-made shows, which are becoming less and less relevant and more niche than they should be, despite streaming services being a huge boost for general action and actually serious storytelling / actual adult-level mature Western fare worth giving a chance, but won't, because they're quietly being overshadowed too easily, sadly enough. I like to think this crap is part of the problem, amongst others.
It's enough to make any American lose faith in their own country and its ability to entertain the masses like it should be, which is never a good thing to point out, either.

Last edited:

CNNickFan

Invader Zim
Who cares? Sorry for sounding mean, but mean-spirited cartoons are, well, bad. A dark cartoon like invader zim or billy and mandy is fine, But i Can't stand cartoons that the main character/somebody always gets punished for some stupid reason. We don't need those again.
Go watch adult animation if you care about that style for cartoons.

Dudley

Staff member
Mean spirited humor is hard to write without making the characters likable. As much as I enjoyed Ed Edd n Eddy, sometimes it was hard to watch the kids constantly put down each other.
However, sometimes it can work. I used to think Timmy’s parents being neglectful in FOP was hilarious, because it’s over the top. Plus, we knew Timmy would be okay in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pooky

Staff member
I guess what this thread is making me realise is that I'm not sure there a fixed definition of "mean spirited humour" that's instantly recognisable to everyone. I only saw bits and pieces of Billy & Mandy, Zim and the Eds, but I never thought of FOP as "mean spirited" because it was so silly, light-hearted and quick paced.

TheMisterManGuy

What I think we need actually, is more biting satire. Right now, a lot of cartoons just parrot the same politically correct woke talking points over and over. We need more shows that will mock anything and everything with a pulse, regardless of race, gender, political affiliation etc.

Zanneck

What I think we need actually, is more biting satire. Right now, a lot of cartoons just parrot the same politically correct woke talking points over and over. We need more shows that will mock anything and everything with a pulse, regardless of race, gender, political affiliation etc.
That... I'm actually OK with, as long as the results don't suck. I need a large amount of focus on quality for what comes out, not a quantity of disappointments/crap. Simple as that.

Zanneck

....ummm why?
Excuse the double-post...

I think the correct approach is more actually good satire - that's what we Westerners are truly missing right now, deep down. The only issue is making sure it's good, besides looking good in design to appeal to more than just the ears with its dialogue, honestly.

If we're talking more shows like Close Enough/Regular Show, Bojack Horseman/Tuca and Bertie, or (especially a favorite of mine) Bob's Burgers, than some of you might be on to something. Shows that show us the world isn't nice and is hard to survive in, but it can still be done and not everyone is out to get you or get something out of you - some people you can trust/at least respect - let alone actually like/relate to or even go as far as to be in an overall loving relationship with, even if that is hard to do sometimes, regardless.

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Excuse the double-post...

I think the correct approach is more actually good satire - that's what we Westerners are truly missing right now, deep down. The only issue is making sure it's good, besides looking good in design to appeal to more than just the ears with its dialogue, honestly.

If we're talking more shows like Close Enough/Regular Show or Bob's Burgers, than some of you might be on to something. Shows that show us the world isn't nice and is hard to survive in, but it can still be done and not everyone is out to get you or get something out of you - some people you can trust, even if that is hard to do, regardless.
Okay, I can see what you mean.

Zanneck

Okay, I can see what you mean.
Thanks, either way. There is nothing wrong with good satire of everyday life. There never was, as it allows us to keep things real, no matter what emotional mood we're in. However, having your show just be a butt to its core characters, especially when they don't always deserve it... No thanks.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Thanks, either way. There is nothing wrong with good satire of everyday life. There never was, as it allows us to keep things real, no matter what emotional mood we're in. However, having your show just be a butt to its core characters, especially when they don't always deserve it... No thanks.
Your welcome and I agree.

ShadowBeast

However, sometimes it can work. I used to think Timmy’s parents being neglectful in FOP was hilarious, because it’s over the top. Plus, we knew Timmy would be okay in the end.
I never saw them as neglectful(most of the time) as they just simply never knew Timmy was in any harm's way.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts