Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,822 10
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
I think this video in question that I've uploaded here could use some debating...

Yeah, this is the same guy who recently bashed Craig of the Creek, for similar reasons as video above. So, just how right is he - or better yet (At least IMHO), just how wrong is he? I'll leave that to you.

I'll start by saying this much - I think this guy underestimates how well people write those different from them, although I do agree that writing of negative stereotypes by people who don't understand how to write those different from their ethnicity is a problem that could use some better addressing in media. One that can be easily solved by running your characters through to others and making sure to listen to valid criticism, so as to better yourself as a writer, although that is just common sense.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
364 16
Newington, CT, USA
As long as they don't stereotype them or portray them in a racist or otherwise unfair way, I don't think it should (necessarily) matter that much. Take Valerie (Josie and the Pussycats) for instance. She was created by a caucasian (Dan DeCarlo), and she's portrayed pretty fairly.

There's also Fallon from Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders (or "Starla and..." if you live in Europe), created by Robert Mandell (of Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers fame; also a caucasian). She has a notable (non-"black") accent, but she's also portrayed fairly. Speaking of Galaxy Rangers, there's also Doc Hartford, who isn't stereotyped in any way.

In any event, it's really just as possible for black characters created by black people to be portrayed in a stereotypical, racist, or otherwise negative way. I mean, in this case, the creators being black him/herself/themselves still wouldn't excuse it. At the same time (as most people know) a caucasian creating black characters doesn't automatically equal "racist/stereotypical/what have you". As for the person in the You Tube video, we have to consider the possibility that he's just a troll who wants to see how other people react. Over the years (even longer) some people have been known to use something different about them (gender, skin color, disability, you name it) in order to be the center of attention or to gain some kind of advantage in something. In both cases, skin color is irrelevant, although in the case of this topic, it's irrelevant except when it isn't. Again, the person in the You Tube video may just want to see how people react. For TV shows and movies themselves, we should just focus on how the character(s) is/are portrayed. If they aren't portrayed in a fair way, we'll know regardless of the creators' skin color.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,607 11
I think it just depends on who is writing. Black people who different and while this dude has experiences with people following to the store, some people don't(myself included) and complaining that a writer/creator has a different race than the character he/she is writing is beyond dumb. Some of my favorite black characters were written by white people, black people and sometimes Asian people.

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,822 10
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
I think it just depends on who is writing. Black people who different and while this dude has experiences with people following to the store, some people don't(myself included) and complaining that a writer/creator has a different race than the character he/she is writing is beyond dumb. Some of my favorite black characters were written by white people, black people and sometimes Asian people.
Thank you - that's why I feel this guy is somewhat full of himself - and don't get me started on his lack of respect for those working in Western Animation to do as well as he believes he does with his books.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,025 5 1
the point of no return
This guy is not wrong, nor is he the first to expose this dark Hollywood secret. Dave Chappelle (after he was called crazy from quitting his show) went on Oprah to talk about it.
a258ec7736a1c3593e20536184fd828b.jpg 8366feae8268c284787759bc059859ff.jpg 5b5601c2748779b58a1fe1792590323c.jpg
The undergound Studio system is the same that has been exposed by Corey Feldman and recently shed light on guys like Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey.

I think Black writers can bring more depth to characters. Even white writers with Black assistance can. Remember "Blazing Saddles" was written partly by none other than Richard Pryor. The same goes for other ethnicities. I think I just heard of JK Rowling being attack for a "Dragon Lady" stereotype in Fantastic Beasts.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,607 11
This guy is not wrong, nor is he the first to expose this dark Hollywood secret. Dave Chappelle (after he was called crazy from quitting his show) went on Oprah to talk about it.
View attachment 217372 View attachment 217382 View attachment 217392
The undergound Studio system is the same that has been exposed by Corey Feldman and recently shed light on guys like Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey.

I think Black writers can bring more depth to characters. Even white writers with Black assistance can. Remember "Blazing Saddles" was written partly by none other than Richard Pryor. The same goes for other ethnicities. I think I just heard of JK Rowling being attack for a "Dragon Lady" stereotype in Fantastic Beasts.

What does Martin Lawrence dressing in drag have to do with Hollywoods dark secret

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
3,025 5 1
the point of no return
What does Martin Lawrence dressing in drag have to do with Hollywoods dark secret

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Secrets plural. Unless you are genuinely asking, you already know the answer. Unless you really didn't see the other characters shown there. Do the research. Unless, of course, you really don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.