I think the United States needs a news bulletin for children

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Slovenia, Sweden and the UK have this already. It probably exists in Asia as well. A news bulletin with simple words, everything gets explained (also politics if it is very important), the news readers never take any sides and they always stay calm. When something bad happens in the world, it also gets attention, but the "sandwich method" is used: for instance, last week, the clip below aired in Belgium, and it was squeezed between something fun about robots in South Korea and Ariana Grande and Lady Gaga on a weather channel. The same thing also happened when there was a terrorism attack in Brussels a few years ago: it got reported and the focus was on staying calm.

I don't know how American parents are supposed to educate their children about the news? American news for adults is often very sensationalist and makes you think the world is going to end. (from a European point of view, sorry) So especially when something really bad happens, how are parents supposed to explain that to their children? You can't hide everything from them, especially in the age of the internet. Calm and simple news sources shouldn't be so rare.

Anyways, here is a clip. It should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. It is partly in English. (with large subtitles for children)

Also note how every event in a foreign country is shown on a map so children can see how close / far it is from where they live.

Ironically, I marked it as "not suitable for children" because YouTube probably doesn't allow it. Karrewiet has its own YouTube channel, but they didn't upload this clip either because of YouTube's rules. It is on their website though.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
[quote and paragraph removed, no political discussion]

The news bulletins are literally meant to keep you calm and informed. I started watching it every day since I was 4 years old (it was my twin brother's favorite program) and not once did I get disturbed.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
In Portugal we have one called Radar XS. However it's really slow and boring, and it's similar to a few services existing in Europe, even though it tries to tackle today's topics.

It had a predecessor called Diário XS, and was basically a condensed version of the news with easy-to-understand language. I believe it got cancelled in 2015. Both of these aired on RTP 2.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
We had a "kids news show" called "Channel 1 News" which debuted back in the early 90's. They would air brief 10 to 15 minutes clips of the headlines, explained by teenagers. When I was in High School in the mid-90's, they started broadcasting this in classrooms the first 10 minutes or so of the first hour of class each morning. A lot of my junior and senior year was spent watching this first thing in the morning. Here's an example:

It's also notable for being where Anderson Cooper of CNN got his start.

I thought it died out in the early 2000's (I guess I was just past High School, so I lost track), but apparently it was still in production until around 2018....

creator

[paragraph removed, no political discussion is allowed]

We're fortunate to have programs like Sesame Street that have consistently promoted equality and kindness. I think it's the best opportunity we have to share these ideas with our kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
MOD NOTE: This topic is fine, but I want to pre-emptively remind people that political discussion is not allowed here.

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
Most of the countries that have news for kids are stations that are doing news in the public service. US TV news mostly does news but it has to make money so, that'd be hard "cash in on" The UK has news in the public service and it doesn't make money, it's subsidized by other programs or in the case of the BBC , by the public. BBC Has Newsround for kids been around since 1972, pretty good idea it presents news for kids in a good way but not a talk down to them way. A PBS member station could make a thing, but they'd need funding to keep it going.

There is a syndicated program for stations to use for E/I rules called Teen Kids News, it was co-created by the man who created one famous local news formats in the US. It's a weekly show anchored and reported by teens

Corwin Haught

CNN used to have a late-night kids news program that was designed to be taped for the school day as part of Cable in the Classroom. It lasted all the way to 2008, and it has a digital-only successor program, CNN10.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Given how The Chicken Squad will be premiering on the Disney Junior channel rather than the Disney Junior block, I'm guessing this means that future upcoming shows like Spidey And His Amazing Friends and Eureka will premiere on the channel.
I got my kids into "Josie in the Pussycats" on the Boomerang app. 70's Hanna-Barbera still has a charm to it.
Exactly one year without my YouTube channels. Here's hoping the recovery will come.
harry580 wrote on Santana434's profile.
hey what are your favorite cartoons?

Featured Posts