I really hope we get a solo Spider-man cartoon

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I'm going to be honest, I REALLY don't care that Marvel is pushing Spider-man into teams. Don't get me wrong he is great when it comes to team ups but the idea of Spider-man being on a team is a big no no. One of the things I enjoy about Spider-man is that he has to fight these crazy strong people alone but when he is on a team it feels like he becomes even weaker or something.

Frontier

Staff member
I think you can just look at the current Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon to see how difficult it is to make Spider-Man, as he is traditionaly portrayed, work with a bunch of other independent spider-heroes.

Either you have to make Spider-Man weaker to justify him needing help from other heroes or you have to ignore or forget about the other established spider-heroes so Spider-Man can do stuff on his own. Just look at how Miles gets treated as such an afterthought sometimes after he got his powers and basically became Peter's sidekick. Even Ultimate was sometimes guilty of this with how they juggled all the other teen heroes with Spidey.

I would like to hope that the inevitable new Spider-Man cartoon/reboot we're likely to get within the next year or so will really put the focus back on Spider-Man, but I think the success of Into the Spider-Verse and marketing will ensure that we still see other spider characters pop up. I just hope the writers will have a better idea for how to juggle them all together when that happens.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I think you can just look at the current Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon to see how difficult it is to make Spider-Man, as he is traditionaly portrayed, work with a bunch of other independent spider-heroes.

Either you have to make Spider-Man weaker to justify him needing help from other heroes or you have to ignore or forget about the other established spider-heroes so Spider-Man can do stuff on his own. Just look at how Miles gets treated as such an afterthought sometimes after he got his powers and basically became Peter's sidekick. Even Ultimate was sometimes guilty of this with how they juggled all the other teen heroes with Spidey.

I would like to hope that the inevitable new Spider-Man cartoon/reboot we're likely to get within the next year or so will really put the focus back on Spider-Man, but I think the success of Into the Spider-Verse and marketing will ensure that we still see other spider characters pop up. I just hope the writers will have a better idea for how to juggle them all together when that happens.
If they are going for a Spider-verse Esque show then I either hope for an anthology series or a Brave and The Bold style team up. Not a team with 5 people together.

Frontier

Staff member
Another issue I have with other spider-heroes is they take the spotlight away from Peter's traditional supporting cast.

Like, again, look at Marvel's Spider-Man. Flash only shows up in 3-4 episodes of a 26-episode season and is only really relevant in 2, Liz shows up in 2 episodes and is only really relevant in one, Randy only had one episode of focus and was then just used to get Peter at the Bugle (where the only character of note ended up being Jonah and Brock), and we still haven't really seen Mary Jane yet.

I mean...it's not like the writers really develop the other spider-heroes that well anyways, but I think it's still noticeable.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'm pretty sure that, regardless of perceived quality, Spiderman will be in team up shows and projects for the foreseeable future. Ultimate Spiderman once held the distinction of being the longest running Marvel cartoon (104 episodes) until Avengers Assemble (127 episodes) , though it still holds the distinction of being the longest running Spider man cartoon. This will make executives think "This is what audiences really want to see". This could also apply to Marvel's Spiderman where, if it ends this season, it will be the third longest running Spiderman cartoon alongside the 1967 series , with 52 episodes as opposed to Spiderman 1994 having 65 episodes, and every other cartoon being no more than 26 episodes. If it ends at season 3 with 78 episodes, it's the second longest running Spiderman cartoon. There's also the success of the Spider Verse movie, though that's due to being produced mainly Sony, and thus can only use Spider man characters, and how Marvel Rising stars Gwen Stacy, but with a team of non spider heroes. Still, I'm pretty sure Spider man team ups will not go away for the foreseeable future simply due to this success.

Dudley

Staff member
I’ve been wanting a Spider-Man: Brave and the Bold-like series for ages. I don’t mind seeing him team-up with various heroes, especially if it’ll spotlight obscure characters. I do agree that I don’t want to see his main job be to lead a team throughout the series. We did that already.

Frontier

Staff member
I’ve been wanting a Spider-Man: Brave and the Bold-like series for ages. I don’t mind seeing him team-up with various heroes, especially if it’ll spotlight obscure characters. I do agree that I don’t want to see his main job be to lead a team throughout the series. We did that already.
I'm kind of tired of Spider-Man and team-ups, but if it was a team-up show on the same level of quality as Brave and the Bold and didn't just focus on MCU heroes, I would be down ;).

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
I'm going to be honest, I REALLY don't care that Marvel is pushing Spider-man into teams. Don't get me wrong he is great when it comes to team ups but the idea of Spider-man being on a team is a big no no. One of the things I enjoy about Spider-man is that he has to fight these crazy strong people alone but when he is on a team it feels like he becomes even weaker or something.
Even the 90s cartoon has that problem whenever guest stars show up. Maybe it was adapting how often Chris Claremont made him go unconscious in Marvel Team-Up before rising up and showing he can defeat enemies.

Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon made him a semi-useless doofus, and then turned him to the most important superhero in events. No middle ground for that character there.

And now the current show made him in constant need to be saved.

Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends made him need to be saved three-five times, but most of the episodes have him properly efficient and amazing without overstating it. That show has a balance level I love and admire.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts