I Learned Something Today

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
As dreadful as my college football team is, at least I can say they never pissed off a football legend.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The late Eddie Van Halen wanted to join Kiss but Gene Simmons told him that he was too good for the band and he should stick to his own band.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Last edited:

Mandouga

Rosey (or "Rosie") the Robot, from The Jetsons, was partially inspired by Hazel, the title character in both the comic strip and the TV show (which was made in the early 1960s, like The Jetsons). Rosie calling George Jetson "Mr. J"* was similar to Hazel calling her boss...(checks Wikipedia) George Baxter (Coincidence? Probably not.) "Mr. B".

Oh yeah. It helps that both shows were co-produced by Screen Gems, which is now known today as Sony Pictures Television (back then, Screen Gems co-produced Hanna-Barbera's shows until Hanna-Barbera was bought by a company called Taft Broadcasting).

*And yes, Batman fans, this was long before Harley Quinn started doing it whenever she talks to (or even just refers to) her boss, The Joker.

harry580

over the hedge was going to be a fox animation studios film but when fox animation studios closed in 2000 due to titan ae flopped at the box office, the film was moved to dreamworks animation

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
James Avery was considered for the role of Captain Sisko in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine but turned it down due to his commitments on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
I was today years old when I learned that the UB3R Bot in a Discord server I frequent has a little-heard-of function: whenever the word "Canada" is said without any other words in the message, the bot will generate a YouTube clip of "Blame Canada" from the South Park movie.

Mandouga

Apparently (emphasis on "apparently"), the Sega CD was originally going to be the "Sega LD" (or something like that). The story goes that Sega was originally going to make a LaserDisc-based add-on for the Genesis. A failed video game system called the Pioneer LaserActive had "Mega-LD" as one of the two types of video game LaserDiscs that could be used with it (the other was Hudson Soft/NEC's LD-ROM2*), so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sega CD was in fact going to be the Sega LD. On another note:

For 20 years, from 1984 until 2004, Sega (which celebrates its 60th anniversary next year^) was owned by a company called CSK. After the Chairman of both companies, Isao Okawa passed away, in 2004, Sammy Corporation bought out most of Sega, and you probably know what happened after that.

Contrary to popular belief "Sega Earth" was never a code name for the Genesis, although it may have been a code name for the Sega CD.

*Pronounced "LD-ROMROM"; it's the same Hudson Soft that created the Turbografx-16 (or the PC Engine if you live in Japan), and the same NEC that actually made it available.

^They didn't start making video games until the 1970s. Before that, they made pinball machines and electromechanical arcade games.

harry580

hugo was almost directed by blue sky co founder chris wedge (know for directing the first ice age and robots, the actor for scrat and wonderbot)

Anyone00

The Moltar-Snork
Kanna from Master Blaster Zero 2 (2019) has actually been around since 1992:

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts