I Learned Something Today

Dsneybuf

apparently CBS still has Frosty which is sort of the fourth ranger of the classic special trio so even if they lose the rights to Rudolph they'll still have another classic Christmas special to run.
News of DreamWorks/Universal re-releasing the first Rankin/Bass Christmas specials on Blu-Ray and DVD again made me start considering the possibility of CBS exchanging the rights to air Frosty (which DreamWorks also owns) with an extension on the rights to Rudolph. I didn't consider it back in 2016 due to pondering on how Frosty doesn't have as much room for commercials as Rudolph does.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Starting today, the Dutch translation of Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler can be bought in Belgium. (€49.99)

In several countries it is illegal to own this.

My father thought the translation would be "Mijn kamp" (My camp), but Kampf doesn't mean camp in German.

9b04e756-b050-11e8-808a-eb0790e4d4e1_web_scale_0.0771307_0.0771307__.jpg

Dsneybuf

I learned that I couldn't find any Netflix threads in General Animation Discussion because they moved to a board dedicated to steaming cartoons.

Dsneybuf

I learned that my birthday falls on the anniversary of the 1966 Batman show.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I learned that The Powerpuff Girls episode, Neighbor Hood, was written in 1999 as a season 2 episode, but the staff feared a lawsuit from the makers of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood because of how much the episode resembled it. It was given to DC for the PPG comic, Remote Controlled, then the script was revived and made into a season 5 episode. This is according to someone that worked on the comics.
Comment on Ccook1956's profile - DeviantArt

ToonJay723

Staff member
I learned how FMVs were compressed for video games back in the 90s.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
I've learned a lot of things from the Animation Anecdotes, but one that sticks out for me is that amongst June Foray's broad portfolio of (mostly family friendly) animation, she wrote and narrated THIS. (NSFW, obviously)

And no, she didn't actually animate it. That job went to Barrie Nelson.

Dsneybuf

I learned last week that iTunes cropped Hellboy: Blood and Iron for whatever reason - I wanted to check it out due to Victor Cook directing, but I ended up visiting the Internet Archive for the widescreen version.

Today I learned that Coco's mother, Imelda, shares a VA with The Spectacular Spider-Man's Liz Allen: Alanna Ubach.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Whoever named Uranus was stupid.
Do you realize that the name "Uranus" is older than the word "your"? At the time the Romans called one of their gods Uranus, the English language didn't even exist, neither did Old English. When the Germanic tribes arrived in present day UK, the Old English word for "your" was "eower", compare with the modern German word 'euer'.

"eower" changed into "your" somewhere in the Middle Ages. (compare with modern Dutch "jouw")

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts