I Learned Something Today

Dsneybuf

I learned that Chris Wyatt, a writer for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, also produced Napoleon Dynamite. I guess that explains why Jon Heder voiced the Flex Fighters' first enemy (who I don't think sounds like Napoleon Dynamite).

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
I learned that a Coca-Cola employee was fired for being engaged to a Pepsi employee in 1985 (this is as close as we'll get to a true real-life Romeo and Juliet story).

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Wow. I've been looking for the answer to this one for a LONG time:

There's an animated film out there that has a sequence where two people are underwater. One of them sees a sunken can with a label that has a picture of the can printed on it. This causes a Droste Effect of the can repeating itself into infinity. One of the people stares at the can and then the camera zooms into it, going into cans over and over and over and over.....

I was convinced this bizarre visual happened in the Raggedy Ann and Andy movie. It would take Richard Williams to come up with something that trippy, right? But then I saw the entire movie again and the scene never turned up.

Tonight I found out the name of the actual movie: "The Mouse And His Child." The people were mice, and the can was "Bonzo Dog Food." Also, apparently this is the one solitary scene from the film everybody remembers, myself included. Nothing else about the movie was memorable except for that can!

twilicorn

Wow. I've been looking for the answer to this one for a LONG time:

There's an animated film out there that has a sequence where two people are underwater. One of them sees a sunken can with a label that has a picture of the can printed on it. This causes a Droste Effect of the can repeating itself into infinity. One of the people stares at the can and then the camera zooms into it, going into cans over and over and over and over.....

I was convinced this bizarre visual happened in the Raggedy Ann and Andy movie. It would take Richard Williams to come up with something that trippy, right? But then I saw the entire movie again and the scene never turned up.

Tonight I found out the name of the actual movie: "The Mouse And His Child." The people were mice, and the can was "Bonzo Dog Food." Also, apparently this is the one solitary scene from the film everybody remembers, myself included. Nothing else about the movie was memorable except for that can!

I think your confusion stems from the fact that both movies were released in the same year.
Also, the book that inspired the movie was written by Russell Hoban, who also wrote the book Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas, which, incidentally, also was adapted in 1977, this time into a TV special. If there's anyone here who hasn't seen it, I strongly encourage you to check it out. Of course, it's nowhere near as trippy as The Mouse And His Child, but it's beautiful and has some really catchy songs that'll stick with you for a long time (in a good way, of course).
And the dog food scene reminded me of a scene from Wander Over Yonder in which Wander takes a peek into the box he was supposed to deliver and sees a Droste image of himself that zooms in, sort of like in that movie, kicking off a Disney Acid Sequence. I referenced it in a YTP collab I took part in (the scene starts at 5:36):

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Turns out there's a technical name for the art style used on so many consumer products in the 1980s (bold patterns, big shapes and bright colors). It's called the "Memphis Design" because it was popularized by the Italian design collective Memphis Milano. Who knew it had a name?

jaylop97

Staff member
Today I learned that TV shows can't display web addresses during programming. And Nick was the reason the FCC made that rule.

Dsneybuf

I learned today that the iTunes thumbnail for Fant4stic shows no one other than Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I learned that The Boxcar Children received a prequel a few years ago. Did you ever read it, Peter?
This is the first I've ever heard of it, so no. It's worth noting that this is the first time they've given public credit to somebody other than Gertrude Warner for writing one of these stories. The additional books that came out in my youth went uncredited.

twilicorn

This is the first I've ever heard of it, so no. It's worth noting that this is the first time they've given public credit to somebody other than Gertrude Warner for writing one of these stories. The additional books that came out in my youth went uncredited.
The moment you mentioned Gertrude Warner's name my mind immediately went to this edit you made to one of the Boxcar Children books a century ago:
boxcar4.jpg

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
In England, "public school" is just another word for a private school. But the Scots use the American definition.

Received Pronunciation = "Public School" Pronunciation (=snobbish speech)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts