I Learned Something Today

Dsneybuf

I learned that in a private conversation on this forum, the button that appears to let you save a draft for a reply doesn't really do so - now I might have to write it from scratch again.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I learned that in a private conversation on this forum, the button that appears to let you save a draft for a reply doesn't really do so - now I might have to write it from scratch again.
Odd. It's there and working for me.

Dsneybuf

If you close and re-open the window after you hit "save", can you still see your draft? I can't see mine.

Dsneybuf

If you can't tell, I'm talking about the private conversations you can have with other users here, not threads like this one.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
If you can't tell, I'm talking about the private conversations you can have with other users here, not threads like this one.
Yeah, that's what I was testing, though now that I think about it, I'm not sure how much it has to do with me being a moderator.

Dsneybuf

I wonder if it ruined anything if I started the draft on my computer, then tried to use my phone to open it again a day or two later.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I wonder if it ruined anything if I started the draft on my computer, then tried to use my phone to open it again a day or two later.
Ah. It seems to automatically clear after 24 hours (that happened to me once). I'm not just talking about conversations, either.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
I learned recently that Sonic's real name is "Ogilvie Maurice the Hedgehog", which someone described as "the meaning of knowing too much".

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
I learned recently that Sonic's real name is "Ogilvie Maurice the Hedgehog", which someone described as "the meaning of knowing too much".
I just learned that that's part of Archie Comic's Sonic series.

twilicorn

I also learned fairly recently that Ron Howard based his kids' middle names on the location they were conceived. For example, Bryce Dallas Howard was so named because she was conceived in Dallas, and two of his other kids have "Carlyle" as their middle names because they were both conceived at the Carlyle Hotel.

Dsneybuf

I learned that "Thunder" received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, even though it sounds terrible even by Imagine Dragons standards (speaking as someone who actually does love their music most of the time).:sad:

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I learned that "Thunder" received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, even though it sounds terrible even by Imagine Dragons standards (speaking as someone who actually does love their music most of the time).:sad:
Natch -- Grammys are a popularity contest, just like most music awards shows are. To be fair and just, they would have to listen to every single song written in the last twelve months. No one's got time for that, so they stick to the most popular ones.

twilicorn

Natch -- Grammys are a popularity contest, just like most music awards shows are. To be fair and just, they would have to listen to every single song written in the last twelve months. No one's got time for that, so they stick to the most popular ones.

That said I'm half-hoping for Redbone to win if only because of all those "What Redbone would sound like if..." videos and that it might push Donald Glover a bit closer to that coveted EGOT status. (That and it's a really kickin' song.)
I remember having posted here about Beyonce submitting one of her songs for Best Country Song last year, but it was rejected even though she had another song submitted for Best Rock Song (that one DID get through but it lost to Bowie).

Dsneybuf

Anyway, even if "Thunder" somehow wins that Grammy, I hope it doesn't ruin future music historians' chances of realizing that it doesn't really provide a good demonstration of ID at their personal best. (Sticking only to songs they released in the year 2017, "Walking the Wire", "Whatever It Takes", and "Mouth of the River" became my favorites from them, although Evolve as a whole doesn't sound like their best album.)

ToonJay723

Staff member
I learned that storing peanut butter upside down removes the oil from the top.

twilicorn

I just learned that there's a form of kryptonite (pink krpytonite, to be exact) that can make Superman gay. Kryptonite apparently comes in a ton of different forms and they're all insane.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I just learned that there's a form of kryptonite (pink krpytonite, to be exact) that can make Superman gay. Kryptonite apparently comes in a ton of different forms and they're all insane.
Wait, Pink Kryptonite is canon? I heard about it years ago and thought someone was just making a joke. We have a loophole for the fan-demanded Kara/Lena episode.

Dsneybuf

I learned the identity of Randy Newman's uncle - Alfred Newman, who wrote a lot of music for 20th Century Fox, including their fanfare.

Dsneybuf

Weird that they nominated the second-most popular Imagine Dragons song of 2017 over their first-most popular, then (going by Billboard Year-End 100). Sure, "Believer" might've kept playing in places where it didn't belong (Riverdale, Murder on the Orient Express), but I can't understand how that suddenly makes "Thunder" a good song.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts