I Learned Something Today

Dsneybuf

I learned that Sabrina: Secrets of a Teenage Witch has more Emmy recognition than Sabrina's live-action or DiC TV shows did, winning an award for Main Title and Graphic Design.

I also learned that when I delete a post I made in the Toonzone News Comments forum, it still appears on the bottom of the article in question.

Last edited:

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
I learned there was also a live-action Planet of the Apes TV show. I saw it on El Rey.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
There's a cartoon based off Planet of the Apes.
I remember seeing some of it on SciFi in the 90s and it was on Hulu a few years back. I miss seeing animation on channels like Sci-fi, that weren't kids channels.

I just learned about the Hot Wheels cartoon from the 60s myself, and its sort of connection to later cartoons. I didn't even know the toyline was that old.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Guess who worked for Murder She Wrote?

fletcher.png

Dsneybuf

I learned that Hulu's uploads of Rugrats sound so terrible, that some lines sound barely audible (at best), and the end credits theme sounds un-balanced.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I learned that in the early 90s Disney animated series recorded a bunch of music, and then cut those recordings to work in an episode. Recess was their first show to use synchronized music.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Truth or Consequences, NM, is the only city in America named after a game show.

In 1950, Ralph Edwards, host of the NBC radio quiz show Truth or Consequences, announced a contest where they would host the 10th anniversary episode in the first city that changed its name to "Truth or Consequences." The winning town was a small New Mexico community of less than 5,000 people originally named Hot Springs.

Edwards would visit that town once a year for the next fifty years.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I learned that in the early 90s Disney animated series recorded a bunch of music, and then cut those recordings to work in an episode. Recess was their first show to use synchronized music.
You would know that if you were an avid watcher of any of those shows. Part of the Disney Afternoon experience was getting used to the same music cues happening every time something eventful took place on a show.

Dsneybuf

I read that Josh Keaton provided vocals for one episode of Adventures From the Book of Virtues, so I tried to watch it on YouTube. However, the characters he apparently voiced sounded older (and more poorly-acted) than I expected, and I also couldn't find his name in the end credits. I also noticed some of the recurring characters sounded different than my vague memories, and that the credits listed two copyright dates. According to TV Tropes and Behind the Voice Actors, the owners of this show had the voices redubbed for DVD, to avoid paying celebrity royalties - the latter website even has samples from before and after the actors changed.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
The Bruce Lee flim Fist of Fury, about a Chinese martial arts student waging war against a Japanese dojo for killing his teacher in early 20th-century Shanghai, was first released in America under the title The Chinese Connection. That name was originally intended for one of his other films, The Big Boss, where his character takes on a Thailand drug operation posing as an ice factory his relatives are working at. The distributors were intending to capitalize on the popularity of the similarly drug-themed film The French Connection when the titles were accidentally switched.

The two films were not released with their proper titles until 2005, although The Big Boss was actually titled Fists of Fury.

Last edited:

Dsneybuf

I learned that when Universal feared they'd lose Spider-Man theme park rights to Disney, they considered replacing The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man with the Transformers ride. Instead, Universal and Disney have terms where Universal can include Spidey in theme parks east of the Mississippi river, and Disney can use him in parks west of the river. So, the Spidey ride still exists, for now, and Transformers ended up in a separate building.

ThunDun

Learnt those small distinguishing icons at the top of your broswer page tab (and in bookmarks) are called favicons.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The Bruce Lee flim Fist of Fury, about a Chinese martial arts student waging war against a Japanese dojo for killing his teacher in early 20th-century Shanghai, was first released in America under the title The Chinese Connection. That name was originally intended for one of his other films, The Big Boss, where his character takes on a Thailand drug operation posing as an ice factory his relatives are working at. The distributors were intending to capitalize on the popularity of the similarly drug-themed film The French Connection when the titles were accidentally switched.

The two films were not released with their proper titles until 2005, although The Big Boss was actually titled Fists of Fury.
I still think of the movies as The Chinese Connection and Fists of Fury, respectively, because that's how I first knew. I really like the title Fists of Fury better than The Big Boss as well. It's been my favorite of the Lee movies since I was about 12 and started seeing his flicks that weren't Enter The Dragon.

Return of the Dragon/Way of the Dragon could probably be included with the confusing Bruce Lee movie titles.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I watched The Running Man for the first time last night, and was surprised to learn that Mick Fleetwood, one of the co-founders of Fleetwood Mac, has a role in it.

I find it hard to associate a folkish blues pop rock group with a silly, over-the-top 1980's futuristic action movie.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts