I Learned Something Today

harry580

penguins of Madagascar (2014) was going to be a direct to video film before becoming a theatrical film

harry580

titanic was going to be called planet ice (which is the same name that was considered for titan ae)

AdrenalineRush1996

Disney nearly considered buying Netflix in 2017 before the streaming service said no and this led to them to announce plans to launch their own streaming service, which became Disney+.
Wow, was it going to be called that?
Yep and here's part of the mention on the TV Tropes page.
What Could Have Been: WarnerMedia had considered branding the service under the Warner Bros. name, but internal brand testing results found that while the iconic shield logo is well-known, the actual name had little-to-no consumer draw or value, or to quote then-CCO Kevin Reilly, "You don’t go to ‘Warners Land’ for vacation. " (note: Ironically, several "Warner Bros. Movie World" theme parks operate in Australia, Germany, Spain or the UAE; the remark and naming decision also ignored that WarnerMedia used the Warner Bros. name for the Warner TV services in Latin America, France and Southeast Asia, and the defunct WB Television Network in the U.S.) As HBO has retained a constant image as a prestige and quality brand thanks to its television dramas, this would make it easier to market to the general public.

harry580

coraline was going to be a musical film with songs written by they might be giants, but this idea was discarded in favor of a more conventional movie

AdrenalineRush1996

Before Viacom bought Channel 5 in 2014, several companies considered buying the UK TV network such as BT, ITV, Channel 4, NBC Universal, Endemol, Time Warner, Scripps Network Interactive, Saban Capital Group and a joint venture between Sky and Discovery Inc.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today I learned there are, somehow, 22 K-Marts still open in the United States. (There were 23, but the last NYC location closed today):

There used to be one remaining K-Mart clear on the razor's edge between Oregon and Washington, and going there was quite a trip. Neither the decor nor the inventory had been updated since the 90s. So many VHS tapes in the entertainment section and I think they still had either a Gamecube or an N64 kiosk plugged in. It was like going back in time. I miss it.

EDIT: Found my original post about going there:
The kiosk was actually for the original X-Box, running Munch's Oddysee. Also I bought a Towelie T-shirt there.

TenPoundHammer posted at the end of that thread, "I think Kmart's gonna be all but gone in 15 years." He lost the bet!

AdrenalineRush1996

Out of the ten South American countries that form CONMEBOL, Venezuela is the only one to have never qualified for the FIFA World Cup.

JMTV Studios

Well, not really "today", but this is something that I learned for a quite a while now.

MLP FiM voice actress came from Generation 3(Tabitha St Germain, Kathleen Barr, Kelly Sheridan, etc).

AdrenalineRush1996

At its peak in Eighties, there were around 400 Wimpy restaurants in the UK but due to ownership changes, there are now seventy though it's still financially profitable, given that it's now owned by Famous Brands since said company own the restaurant's South African operations, which has more restaurants than in the UK along with I went to the Streatham location yesterday and I have to say that their burgers are quite tasty.
Today I learned there are, somehow, 22 K-Marts still open in the United States. (There were 23, but the last NYC location closed today):

There used to be one remaining K-Mart clear on the razor's edge between Oregon and Washington, and going there was quite a trip. Neither the decor nor the inventory had been updated since the 90s. So many VHS tapes in the entertainment section and I think they still had either a Gamecube or an N64 kiosk plugged in. It was like going back in time. I miss it.

EDIT: Found my original post about going there:
The kiosk was actually for the original X-Box, running Munch's Oddysee. Also I bought a Towelie T-shirt there.

TenPoundHammer posted at the end of that thread, "I think Kmart's gonna be all but gone in 15 years." He lost the bet!
It's even worth knowing that Kmart's Australian operations (parent company Kresge sold said operations to Coles in 1994) has more stores than in the US.

AdrenalineRush1996

Harley-Davidson nearly phased out their iconic line of retro-style motorcycles in favour of modern-style motorcycles called Project Nova, which was a collaboration with Porsche.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
am I the only one who thinks Berdly reminds me of Mordecai?
The Count: That's seven, seven shows rejected by Nickelodeon. Ah ah ah!

Apparently, Cassandra Peterson has been in a relationship with a woman for 19 years.

Is there a name for the art style Google and other companies use in their advertising? It has to have an official name if so many groups are using it.

Featured Posts