Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
797 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
[h=4]"Kathleen Sullivan..in Spandex..in a hot tub..filled with warm Jell-o!"[/h]This is one of the references that the Bloom County Collection doesn't explain.

It turns out Kathleen Sullivan was a news anchor (because we all know of Berke's passion for news anchors). And there's a story around the strip:

Berke Breathed won the Pulitzer and was interviewed in NYC on Good Morning America. That day filling in for Joan Lunden was THE Kathleen Sullivan. As she was reading the telepromter plugging the upcoming interview, they showed the panel with the above quote. Live on the air, Sullivan stopped, and said "Whoa, uhhh, oh my!" and got red faced as the rest of the studio started to laugh hysterically. She then tossed it to the news anchor Edie Magnus, who was in DC, and she was laughing maniacally with her mouth wide open. Berke did the interview about 10-15 minutes later with Sullivan.
Why wasn't this story in the liner notes? WHY?

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
I learned that some Marvel Studios characters who made their big-screen debuts during the end credits of Captain America: The Winter Soldier almost had to wait until after the end titles of Guardians of the Galaxy to make them, instead.
To think, Evan Peters from X-Men: Days of Future Past would have become the first live-action Quicksilver, instead of merely the first live-action speaking Quicksilver, and Howard the Duck might have never gotten a second chance in theaters.

TenPoundHammer

Wheel of Fortune winner, 12/8/17
Nov 27, 2006
Ratings
Michigan
So our furnace wasn't working. We hired someone to repair it, and he said it was a total death trap that needed replacement. Thankfully, it wasn't getting any power, or it would've killed us by kicking exhaust back into the house.

Nov 14, 2014
Yes, there was an annoying phase during the '80s and '90s where lots of movies were named after songs. Demolition Man was one of the better ones. I didn't appreciate its satirical edge until the second viewing.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
I recently confirmed that among all of the people I consider Disney's big-name songwriters-the Sherman Brothers, Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, Sirs Elton John and Tim Rice, and the Lopezes-only Robert Lopez has won a Tony, an Emmy, a Grammy, and an Oscar.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
I learned Polybius was originally in the opening time lapse sequence from Wreck-It Ralph. It was in the trailer.

Maybe it's still there, I don't know. I've never looked at it one frame at a time. But Polybius disappearing would be totally in character for it.
According to Disney Screencaps, the final movie has Frogger instead:

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
797 6
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Wow. You know that infamous Punky Brewster episode where a kid gets locked in an abandoned fridge? That was an idea that, literally, a child came up with. It was the winning entry in a contest for children to have their story turned into a Punky episode. The writers didn't come up with something that dumb; it was some kid.

Dantheman

Dec 1, 2005
Ratings
Michigan USA
Today, I learned on Cracked.com (in their article on great movies turned into awful TV shows), that the short-lived, live-action Bill and Ted TV show that aired on FOX in the early '90s got green-lighted because of a contract clause that said a series would be made if Bill &Ted's Bogus Journey earned enough at the box office (they didn't say how much, just that if it met or exceeded a certain level a series would be made, and apparently it did).

I thought that was interesting, because there's been worse reasons a TV series got made, right?