I Learned Something Today

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
I just learned that the Statue of Liberty used to be copper colored.
Originally, the statue was a dull copper color, but shortly after 1900 a green patina, also called verdigris, caused by the oxidation of the copper skin, began to spread. As early as 1902 it was mentioned in the press; by 1906 it had entirely covered the statue.
This is how it used to look:
Detroit_Photographic_Company_%280707%29.jpg

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
I learned that the singer of Peanut Butter Jelly Time died in an 11 hour police standoff during which time his brother in law Snoop Dogg attempted to calm him down and get him to surrender

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
My name is Koen (pronounced "coon") and that's apparently a racial slur in English. Why did no one tell me...

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
My name is Koen (pronounced "coon") and that's apparently a racial slur in English. Why did no one tell me...
It's a word I first learned about from watching Forrest Gump as a kid, and I'm of the brown persuasion. Then I think watching Remember the Titans years later cemented my knowledge about it. It had become kind of antiquated for a while and seemed to pick up a little during the last couple of decades or so due to a little self-policing about stereotypes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm not interested in Joker but I had been seeing the preview clips and having Deja Vu. Today, I learned that the grimey, disgusting, trash dump steps that I ran up and down on the way to and from the 4 train during school days, in constant fear that I might misstep on a banana peel or a chipped stair were indeed the ones that Joaquin Phoenix was dancing on.

My little cousin thinks they look like the Rocky steps and that's pretty much how I felt after making it up that disgusting death trap. Every woman in my life preferred to walk up the longer, hilly route and I don't blame them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
I learned there is such a thing as an AAAA battery. I don't know what uses them, though.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
It is never stated in either of the movies in which she appears, but Kevin McAllister's mother is a big fashion designer. This is part of why the family is so rich (we don't know what the dad does) and it's where Kevin got the mannequins for his "party" prank.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
It is never stated in either of the movies in which she appears, but Kevin McAllister's mother is a big fashion designer. This is part of why the family is so rich (we don't know what the dad does) and it's where Kevin got the mannequins for his "party" prank.
Heck, I was thinking the same as well.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I discovered that McDonald's had soup as a menu item in the States that only lasted briefly during the Noughties, whereas it's a popular menu item for the restaurant in Portugal.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
This week, on "How Bands Got Their Names"...

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF
NEIL INNES

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
One of the longest running comic strips drawn by a single artist was Mr. Oswald, created by a store owner's son for Hardware Retailing Magazine in 1925.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts