I Learned Something Today

Latest News & Videos

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
SO MUCH PAIN
I learned that Cookie Monster was based off Sesame composer Joe Raposo, who liked cookies so much that when he died his family had a milk and cookies reception instead of a traditional wake.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Sep 3, 2006
Kansas
nachosconcarne.com
In 1904, a woman named Elizabeth Magie created "The Landlord's Game", a board game which, in her words, was "a practical demonstration of the present system of land-grabbing with all its usual outcomes and consequences.”

In this game, players moved tokens around the board buying up properties with money they earned passing a certain space. There were railroads, there were utilities, and players had to avoid going to jail. "The Landlord's Game" had two sets of rules - one where players try to bankrupt their opponents, and one where everybody shares the wealth.

The game was popular with college students and left-wing intellectuals who saw it as a statement on unchecked capitalism.

Thirty years later, a man named Charles Darrow created a derivative version where all the properties were named after streets in Atlantic City and sold it to Parker Brothers under the name "Monopoly." After it took off, Parker Brothers started buying up the rights to all other versions of the game to protect their product's identity.

Magie got $500 for selling her patent. Darrow received royalty payments for the rest of his life.

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Today I learned the ice cream cake Homer gave Marge on their wedding night was a real product; it's called Fudgie the Whale and is one of the most famous creations of the Carvel ice cream franchise, much larger in the 1970s than it is today.

PinkiePie97

Staff member
Aug 14, 2015
Massachusetts
cartoon-info-blog.blogspot.com
I learned that Nick was running 24 hours a day in the months between A&E moving to its own 24-hour channel and Nick at Nite debuting. For years, I was under the idea that they went to a test pattern at night. (Also, I should probably clarify that the baseball game wasn't actually Nick. The cable provider in Toledo would preempt Nick with other stuff.)

It appears Nick was still using the silver ball after the orange logo debuted and now I have an idea as to what happened. Supposedly (as I'm not 100% sure of this, either), the silver ball was just used for sign off at that point, and if that's the case, then it's possible Nick decided not to bother creating a new sign off since A&E was leaving. I don't know for sure if that's what happened, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Reactions: TheMisterFree

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
One year on Halloween, her mother invited over Ghostbusters star Dan Aykroyd’s brother Peter, who was himself a real-life ghost buster. Peter planned to “check out the levels” of the house.
Er---uh-----WHAT???

twilicorn

Dec 4, 2015
SO MUCH PAIN
I learned this week that the audience footage from the beginning of The Muppets Take Manhattan was apparently licensed out as B-roll footage; among the other places it's shown up are At Home with Amy Sedaris; a recent Spongebob episode "Chefbob"; and a Pizza Hut commercial.

Delphi Forums Login

twilicorn

Dec 4, 2015
SO MUCH PAIN
I learned this week that the audience footage from the beginning of The Muppets Take Manhattan was apparently licensed out as B-roll footage; among the other places it's shown up are At Home with Amy Sedaris; a recent Spongebob episode "Chefbob"; and a Pizza Hut commercial.

Delphi Forums Login
And apparently more footage from MTM was licensed as B-roll, including the audience shots of the movie theater that was showing the killer fish movie, including footage of fish being thrown at them.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
I had the honor of meeting Dick Smith in the early 90s and actually got to hold his Oscar for his makeup work on Amadeus. Mr. Smith is probably best known for his effects work on The Exorcist - he told me a funny little story the day I met him.
The scene where Regen's head twists around 360 degrees was achieved - surprise! - by a mechanical doll. After the shoot Mr. Smith took possession of that doll and it occupied a prominent spot on his workbench in his basement studio. Weird guy that he was he liked to use it almost as a lamp - the eyes illuminated and moved etc (I guess the head spinning was done through a different mechanism).
One night he was awakened by his wife who swore she had heard someone break into the house. Mr. Smith was prepared to investigate when all of a sudden they heard a horrified scream coming from the basement and then all sorts of commotion. They looked out of their window and saw some fellow tearing ass across their backyard and practically leaping over the back fence.
Turns out Dick Smith forgot to turn the Regen doll off that night. The burglar had broken in through the basement window and must have turned on the light and wham! Face to face with a demonic girl with yellow, glowing eyes.
I would love to hear the story that burglar tells about that night.

Reactions: TheMisterFree

JoeMabbon

Absentee Guildpact
Aug 8, 2014
Ravnica
There are 80 official Clifford the Big Red Dog books.

In 1904, a woman named Elizabeth Magie created "The Landlord's Game", a board game which, in her words, was "a practical demonstration of the present system of land-grabbing with all its usual outcomes and consequences.”

In this game, players moved tokens around the board buying up properties with money they earned passing a certain space. There were railroads, there were utilities, and players had to avoid going to jail. "The Landlord's Game" had two sets of rules - one where players try to bankrupt their opponents, and one where everybody shares the wealth.

The game was popular with college students and left-wing intellectuals who saw it as a statement on unchecked capitalism.

Thirty years later, a man named Charles Darrow created a derivative version where all the properties were named after streets in Atlantic City and sold it to Parker Brothers under the name "Monopoly." After it took off, Parker Brothers started buying up the rights to all other versions of the game to protect their product's identity.

Magie got $500 for selling her patent. Darrow received royalty payments for the rest of his life.
And soon we'll be able to play the My Hero Academia version of the game.

PinkiePie97

Staff member
Aug 14, 2015
Massachusetts
cartoon-info-blog.blogspot.com
There's a Nickelodeon feed that appears to be for cruises called NickOnBoard. I can't actually find anything on it myself. Someone posted about it in a Discord server I'm in. Admittedly, that might not be the best source of info, but he posted a picture.

It seems it has a different schedule than regular Nick. The guy I got this from says there wasn't a proper TV guide, but that he saw PAW Patrol on at 11 P.M. while flipping channels (the ship's time was EST).